GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Oct 2018, 15:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Profile Evaluation

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: HBS 2+2 '22 (S)
GMAT 1: 620 Q41 V35
GPA: 3.7
Profile Evaluation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jan 2018, 19:24
Profile Evaluation

Hi, I am a 24 year old Mexican male, currently applying to three deferred admittance MBA Programs (HBS MBA 2+2, GSB and IESE YTP)

Here are my details:

GMAT- Aiming at 690-720 according to several practice tests.

Education:
Undergraduate- Tecnologico de Monterrey. Mechanical Engineering, International Honors Program. 90/100. 50% Academic Talent Scholarship
Graduate (Dual-Degree Program)- Southern Methodist University. M. Sc. Engineering Management. GPA: 3.5
Academic exchange in Germany as part of the DAAD Program (obtained a scholarship by the German government)

Work Experience:
10 Months as a Strategic Planning Intern at a 3.5BUSD Automotive and Agroindustrial Consortium in Monterrey, Mexico
9 Months as a Project Management Intern at a Automotive R&D, Renewable Energy and Technologies Group in Munich, Germany
4 Months as a Telecommunications Intern at a Telecommunications Company in Monterrey, Mexico
5 Months as a Quality Intern at an IT Startup in Monterrey, Mexico
3 Months as a Quality Intern at a GE Subsidiary in Monterrey, Mexico

Extracurriculars:
1st National Place High School Entrepreneurship Competition
Top 5 University Entrepreneurship Competition
Vice-President Mechanical Engineering Student Council
Guitar player for more than 10 years
Four languages: English (109/120), Spanish (Native), German (C1), French (B1)

Community Service:
1.5 years teaching values and virtues to underpriviledged children in Mexico
6 months teaching MS Office to underpriviledged children and adults

Questions:
I would like to know my chance of getting into the afore mentioned programs
1- How relevant would my GMAT score be? If I obtain 690 will it hurt my chances by a lot?
2- My essay topic is about resilience and the challenges I've had to overcome to obtain the experiences I have, is it an interesting topic?
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
G
Reviews Badge
Re: Profile Evaluation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jan 2018, 13:43
Hi Adlozanos,
Thanks for reaching out! I think you have a really strong profile -- especially great academic background (plus programs like HBS 2+2 is popular among STEM applicants). I also really like that you've had some very significant internship experience, in a variety of functions too (hopefully helping you figure out your ultimate career goals!) and the community involvement is great as well. The international exposure you've had working/studying in Mexico, the US, and Germany is wonderful too, and will be attractive to those schools. Plus there are not a ton of applicants from Mexico so that should give you a slight boost. All in all, sounds great!

I think a 700 or higher on GMAT would put you in the best position for those programs; a 690 won't be a deal-breaker, but could make it more challenging. Those early career programs tend to be very competitive. I think if you can achieve a score in the higher end of your target range, your chances are good for those programs.

Yes, I think that's a good theme to work with -- schools like to see how you've bounced back from challenges. What will make it interesting is to include specific examples and personal stories about challenges you've faced in the past, and how that's shaped the person you are today + what you will aim to achieve in the future (to make it relevant to today and why you want your MBA). But yes, this sounds like it's on the right track. We've got lots of great essay writing tips on our blog here that you may want to check out: https://www.mbamission.com/blog/

Best of luck! And if you'd like to discuss your applications more, feel free to sign up for a free phone consult: https://www.mbamission.com/consult/
Kate

Adlozanos wrote:
Profile Evaluation

Hi, I am a 24 year old Mexican male, currently applying to three deferred admittance MBA Programs (HBS MBA 2+2, GSB and IESE YTP)

Here are my details:

GMAT- Aiming at 690-720 according to several practice tests.

Education:
Undergraduate- Tecnologico de Monterrey. Mechanical Engineering, International Honors Program. 90/100. 50% Academic Talent Scholarship
Graduate (Dual-Degree Program)- Southern Methodist University. M. Sc. Engineering Management. GPA: 3.5
Academic exchange in Germany as part of the DAAD Program (obtained a scholarship by the German government)

Work Experience:
10 Months as a Strategic Planning Intern at a 3.5BUSD Automotive and Agroindustrial Consortium in Monterrey, Mexico
9 Months as a Project Management Intern at a Automotive R&D, Renewable Energy and Technologies Group in Munich, Germany
4 Months as a Telecommunications Intern at a Telecommunications Company in Monterrey, Mexico
5 Months as a Quality Intern at an IT Startup in Monterrey, Mexico
3 Months as a Quality Intern at a GE Subsidiary in Monterrey, Mexico

Extracurriculars:
1st National Place High School Entrepreneurship Competition
Top 5 University Entrepreneurship Competition
Vice-President Mechanical Engineering Student Council
Guitar player for more than 10 years
Four languages: English (109/120), Spanish (Native), German (C1), French (B1)

Community Service:
1.5 years teaching values and virtues to underpriviledged children in Mexico
6 months teaching MS Office to underpriviledged children and adults

Questions:
I would like to know my chance of getting into the afore mentioned programs
1- How relevant would my GMAT score be? If I obtain 690 will it hurt my chances by a lot?
2- My essay topic is about resilience and the challenges I've had to overcome to obtain the experiences I have, is it an interesting topic?

Kate Richardson
mbaMission Senior Consultant and Chicago Booth Alum
http://www.mbamission.com
Read our school insider's guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders

Profile Evaluation

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: mbaMissionKate

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap