GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Jul 2018, 02:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Profile Evaluation

new topic post reply Update application status  
Manager
Manager
B
Profile Evaluation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2018, 00:24
My name is CHARAN. I am writing to you for your valuable advice, as I plan to apply for my MBA later this year for 2019 intake.

My profile:

Current Job: Analyst (Telecom sector) in a multi-national Market research & Advisory company

WE: 48 months ( mostly in Market Research & product development domains in Education, Risk & Due diligence, Background verification and Telecom Industries)

Aim: To pursue career in Management consulting

My main motivation to pursue MBA:

Need a transition from market research industry to strategy consulting. I love solving business problems and implementing strategies more than just writing writing reports, analysing trends or suggesting recommendations.

Education: UG: Chemical Engineering, NIT Bhopal (premier institution), India

GPA: 7.4/10

GMAT: 710

Target colleges: Ross, Haas, Stern, kellog, Tepper, Goizueta, McCombs, Mays, Kelly.

Please evaluate my profile and tell me whether I am headed in the right direction.

Do you think my profile is way too diverse or is it appealing enough for my aspirations to be a Generalist consultant post MBA?

Do I stand a chance in the above mentioned colleges?

Thank you!

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
Re: Profile Evaluation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2018, 01:31
Hello Charan,

You have a good Work ex and can definitely attempt to the mentioned schools! To answer your question on the Generalist consultant role, I suggest you have a strong set of essays in defence to your career goals (Considering you chose your current role immediately after Undergrad with Chemical Engg majors). If you are able to bridge this gap, I feel your application will definitely be appealing enough for your dream role. Further, as a suggestion, do not mention that you want to choose Strategy consulting as a career path because you feel saturated in your current role! Good luck! Contact me in case you need further help!

Regards
Aparna Abhishek
Associate Admissions Coach
Mansie Dewan Consulting
Expert Post
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
G
Reviews Badge
Re: Profile Evaluation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2018, 10:58
Hi Charan,

Thanks for posting in our mbaMission forum.

It is definitely possible to use the MBA to switch to consulting, it's a field that is open to many backgrounds. In your case, I don't think the diversity of your experience is a challenge, as long as there is the consistency of market research. If you've gained exposure to lots of different industries, then I think that can actually be a positive, and it will give consulting firms reassurance that you can come up to speed quickly on different clients.

Based on what you've shared, I think your target schools are skewing a little too competitive. In particular I'm worried about Haas and Kellogg, and probably Ross and Stern too. Those schools are going to be tough, unless you're able to increase your GMAT by 20-30 points. The other schools on your list seem like good choices.

Also, don't neglect things outside of work too! Schools like to get to know you as a person, and care about the activities you are passionate about and the ways you engage with your community, so hopefully you have some strong activities outside work that you can highlight too.

Best of luck, and please reach out to us with any further questions.
Kate

saicharan1191 wrote:
My name is CHARAN. I am writing to you for your valuable advice, as I plan to apply for my MBA later this year for 2019 intake.

My profile:

Current Job: Analyst (Telecom sector) in a multi-national Market research & Advisory company

WE: 48 months ( mostly in Market Research & product development domains in Education, Risk & Due diligence, Background verification and Telecom Industries)

Aim: To pursue career in Management consulting

My main motivation to pursue MBA:

Need a transition from market research industry to strategy consulting. I love solving business problems and implementing strategies more than just writing writing reports, analysing trends or suggesting recommendations.

Education: UG: Chemical Engineering, NIT Bhopal (premier institution), India

GPA: 7.4/10

GMAT: 710

Target colleges: Ross, Haas, Stern, kellog, Tepper, Goizueta, McCombs, Mays, Kelly.

Please evaluate my profile and tell me whether I am headed in the right direction.

Do you think my profile is way too diverse or is it appealing enough for my aspirations to be a Generalist consultant post MBA?

Do I stand a chance in the above mentioned colleges?

Thank you!

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Kate Richardson
Senior Consultant, mbaMission

Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insider's Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Profile Evaluation

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: mbaMissionKate

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap