GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Nov 2018, 11:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Advice For Applicants Considering Round 2

November 16, 2018

November 16, 2018

10:00 PM MST

11:00 PM MST

Many of you may be wondering whether you should pull the trigger and apply to business school during round 2 this winter.
  • Save up to $500 on MBA Admissions Consulting!

November 21, 2018

November 21, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Apply with confidence using an Accepted admissions expert, save money and get accepted!

Profile evaluation.

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
Profile evaluation.   [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jul 2018, 10:19
My profile has been one with extreme ups and downs so i would just like to know if i should even apply for colleges. My aim is top 15-18 European colleges.
Age 29
Nationality Indian

My profile is as follows
Class 10- 85%
Class 12- 65%
Studied Engineering at a top NIT for 3 years before dropping out to pursue my Gaming career tried to make my hobby a career but Failed in the said gaming career. Did my graduation in Economics and Accounting passed with 50% marks.
Got at job at a nationalized Bank. Handled corporate finance for my branch with around $0.5 Billion worth of loans. Also worked for a bit in Forex Department handling import section. Total work Ex 2 years. Have some diplomas in Banking and Finance from Indian institute of Banking and Finance.
Switched jobs and got a job in the premier investigative agency of India where i have been working for 3 years now working as an investigator, investigating financial crimes. Worked on some high profile Financial crimes while being here.
Gave GMAT last year and scored 740. I can increase the score more if it can increase my chances of landing a good college.
The reason i want to pursue MBA is to get a more rewarding job. The present one is extremely stressful with almost 15 days of traveling, sometimes to extremely small places no fixed schedule and no rewards neither financial nor career related.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Admissionado
P
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Re: Profile evaluation.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2018, 13:04
You're coming from the toughest demographic out there when it comes to b-school apps & that makes things tougher for you than for the average applicant. You've got a solid GMAT score; among this demographic applicants to top schools tend to have around a 740 so you will have hit the average. (Note that this demographic tends to score very high on the GMAT, so even at schools with an overall average of ~700, the average for your demographic is often 740). If you feel like you could get a higher score that would help your chances for sure.

The low GPA is another issue, and also one that a higher GMAT would help compensate for). In terms of work experience, you're a bit on the high end in terms of age & years of experience and that is another challenge but not one that's insurmountable. When you get too old/too many years of experience it's that much more critical to make a strong "why MBA" argument. That argument rests on your career goals & you will definitely need to flesh those out & be much more specific. You want to stay away from talking about what you DON'T like about your current job (adcoms do not like negativity) & instead will want to talk about what you DO want to do in your career (the impact you want to have, the results you hope to drive) as well as WHY this path is your passion.

It's hard to say for certain what your chances are at these schools without more detail re your goals, what impact you've had at work etc but I would say even though there are challenges in your app a higher GMAT would help for sure. At this point the schools you mentioned would be more in the reach category but with a higher GMAT, strong goals & assuming some strong examples from work that show your impact you would have a shot at them.

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado | Packages | Success Stories | Team

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Profile evaluation.

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: JonAdmissionado

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap