Last visit was: 16 May 2024, 18:53 It is currently 16 May 2024, 18:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 188
Send PM
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
Own Kudos [?]: 2778 [0]
Given Kudos: 1510
GPA: 4
WE:Analyst (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 1110 [0]
Given Kudos: 1756
GPA: 4
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 149 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
ImranTutul, a few thoughts on your profile evaluation and plans:

1. The academic arc is a bit of mixed bag. The top college pedigree should help - has your college been a feeder? The GPA looks to be on the lower side and that, together with the GMAT will definitely come under the scanner also compared to the larger Asian candidate pool. Not a deal breaker but something to address.
  2. The professional profile is quite interesting and relatively unique. The reason behind a seemingly disconnected career change has to be brought out well and the need for MBA underlined clearly. Also develop sharpness in your post-MBA pitch.
  3. This is why schools value ECs. The tutoring part would be worth fleshing out and reviving (if in the past).
  4. From a timelines perspective, I'd echo the other evaluator's comments on US schools - avoidable. If you cannot wait, check out some MBA schools in the UK with slightly later deadlines if that geography works.

Hope this helps some. Do feel free to check out our application services if you need help on that front of course.
MBA and Beyond Consulting
Status:MBA Admissions Consulting from INSEAD, Wharton and Columbia graduates
Affiliations: INSEAD and Harvard
Own Kudos [?]: 354 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hey ImranTutul

Thanks for sharing your profile.

To begin with, 680 is a decent score for the schools you are targeting. Although your GPA also falls on the lower end. Any additional academic accolades will help compensate for the low score. You may also want to read an article on The Ultimate Roadmap if you have low GMAT to counter your low score.

The major highlight of your application will be your work experience. All you need to do is portray your roles & responsibilities, skill-set, and professional accolades in a more quantized manner. Moreover, the international exposure in your role will help you since AdComs prefers candidates with strong international experience/exposure. You have also mentioned promotions, ensure highlighting your career trajectory and leadership roles to the Adcoms. Everything depends on how you present it to the AdComs. You have extensive work experience; all you need to do is make a strong case for it.

You may also want to read an article on How to create a Strong Resume for Your MBA Application? to gain some insights.

Coming to your ECs, they play an important role in an application and add diversity to your profile. Social work is highly valued and appreciated, your involvement with blood donation camps and tutoring underprivileged students will help you justify your social responsibilities. For a better understanding, you could refer to our article on Significance of Extracurriculars for MBA Application to get a better understanding.

Regarding your post-MBA goals, you must work on connecting your experience with your post-MBA goals. Finance and consulting roles seem very generic, hence, you would need to add more value to your goals by aligning it with how an MBA would help you achieve your goals and become more impactful in the industry, your aspirations regarding it, and the impact you dream of creating. You may want to read our article on How to bring collinearity in your post-MBA goals to align your goals properly.

I would suggest do not apply to R3, instead apply to US schools in R1 sept 2024 intake and you can apply to Canadian schools like Schulich, Queens and Ivey in Jan 24 intake. 680 is a decent GMAT score for these schools. Overall your profile is good, and do have a chance at business schools. Hence, If you’d like, we are happy to get on a call with you sometime this week to discuss your profile in length and strengthen your chances further. Feel free to schedule a call with us at your convenience.

Cheers!
Neha Hadke
Strategy Manager
Testimonials
Meet our Panel of Consultants.
Email: neha@mbaandbeyond.com

ImranTutul wrote:
Hi Everyone,
I sat for GMAT on 2nd April 2022 and scored 680 (Q46 V37). After taking a break for a few months, I resumed my preparation and sat for the exam on 2nd January 2023. Unfortunately, I scored only 560(Q46 V22) this time. I was disheartened to see my score and could not focus on application in R2. I know, I should have applied with my previous score in R1, but I was so obsessed with scoring 700+. Now I am planning to apply to Rotman and Schulich. I would appreciate your suggestion to narrow down business school in US for R3. Previously my target schools were, Goizueta, KF, McCombs. Do I have a chance in those schools with my current profile? Also, would appreciate if someone can review and provide feedback on my essay and resume.
Profile:
Gender - Male
Age - 29
Nationality - Bangladeshi
Educational Qualification:
BBA from the top business school of the country.
Year of Graduation: 2017
GPA – 2.81/4.00
Work Experience: 5 Years
Duration - June 2017 – October 2018
Joined in one of the largest conglomerates of Bangladesh as a business analyst.
• Learnt the overall business process of a conglomerate
• Worked directly with the top management in different projects and strategies
Duration - November 2018 – Present.
Joined in one of the renowned non-profit organizations as a financial analyst.
• Launched the country’s first ever green zero-coupon bond for the microfinance program.
• Reduced cost of finance significantly.
• Improved the overall transaction model.
• Arranged syndicated term loan, foreign loan from a dutch DFI, and did financial projection and managed financing for a 250-bed hospital.
• Got 2 promotion in 4 years which is quite rare in my organization.
• Currently leading a team of 4 people.
• Received the highest performance rating for last 3 consecutive years.
Extra-Curricular Activities:
Do not have much extracurricular activities to mention.
• Won the second prize in a business case competition during undergrad.
• Blood donation, free tutored a number of underprivileged students, was member of the communication club.
Post MBA Goals:
1. Corporate finance role
2. Consulting.
I will be rewriting the GMAT in a month. But for now, I want to complete my application with current 680 score.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 643 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
Send PM
ImranTutul wrote:
Hi Everyone,
I sat for GMAT on 2nd April 2022 and scored 680 (Q46 V37). After taking a break for a few months, I resumed my preparation and sat for the exam on 2nd January 2023. Unfortunately, I scored only 560(Q46 V22) this time. I was disheartened to see my score and could not focus on application in R2. I know, I should have applied with my previous score in R1, but I was so obsessed with scoring 700+. Now I am planning to apply to Rotman and Schulich. I would appreciate your suggestion to narrow down business school in US for R3. Previously my target schools were, Goizueta, KF, McCombs. Do I have a chance in those schools with my current profile? Also, would appreciate if someone can review and provide feedback on my essay and resume.
Profile:
Gender - Male
Age - 29
Nationality - Bangladeshi
Educational Qualification:
BBA from the top business school of the country.
Year of Graduation: 2017
GPA – 2.81/4.00
Work Experience: 5 Years
Duration - June 2017 – October 2018
Joined in one of the largest conglomerates of Bangladesh as a business analyst.
• Learnt the overall business process of a conglomerate
• Worked directly with the top management in different projects and strategies
Duration - November 2018 – Present.
Joined in one of the renowned non-profit organizations as a financial analyst.
• Launched the country’s first ever green zero-coupon bond for the microfinance program.
• Reduced cost of finance significantly.
• Improved the overall transaction model.
• Arranged syndicated term loan, foreign loan from a dutch DFI, and did financial projection and managed financing for a 250-bed hospital.
• Got 2 promotion in 4 years which is quite rare in my organization.
• Currently leading a team of 4 people.
• Received the highest performance rating for last 3 consecutive years.
Extra-Curricular Activities:
Do not have much extracurricular activities to mention.
• Won the second prize in a business case competition during undergrad.
• Blood donation, free tutored a number of underprivileged students, was member of the communication club.
Post MBA Goals:
1. Corporate finance role
2. Consulting.
I will be rewriting the GMAT in a month. But for now, I want to complete my application with current 680 score.

Hi ImranTutul hope this finds you well

I am sorry to hear about your GMAT situation, but do not be discouraged. A little perseverance and effort on your part will open several doors for you when the time is right. You have a great profile, and you can certainly stand out among a large number of South Asian MBA aspirants.

I suggest that you focus on improving your GMAT and try in the early rounds of the 2024 intake to increase the odds of securing admission and have a better chance at scholarships. I would be happy to give you one-time personalized feedback on your application. You can reach me at aanchal.sahni@insead.edu if you would like.

You could also look at diversifying your target schools between the US, Canada and Europe to hedge against your age and Finance sector goals (which are tough to break into as a non-native). Nevertheless, a thorough deliberation on your Post MBA goals strategy will be much needed at the time of application.

Best wishes
GMAT Club Bot