Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 06:01 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:01

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V35
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V39
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1441 [0]
Given Kudos: 994
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT Date: 02-18-2019
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Consulting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [1]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Re: Profile evaluation and corresponding B-school suggestions [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi there! Thanks for reaching out. Your profile is solid but unfortunately you are coming from the toughest demographic out there when it comes to b-school applications, and it's one that tends to have high GMAT scores (740+) as well as high GPAs from the IITs. Based on what you shared here, you'll want to aim for schools where you are at least 40+ points above the average GMAT score (given the low GPA, the competitive demographic and the fact that your work experience & extracurriculars, while solid, are not that unique compared to the competition).

If you're only looking at non-US schools, some options might be Oxford, HEC, Rotman, Ivey, NUS, and other schools in that range.

Hope that helps!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Admissionado wrote:
Hi there! Thanks for reaching out. Your profile is solid but unfortunately you are coming from the toughest demographic out there when it comes to b-school applications, and it's one that tends to have high GMAT scores (740+) as well as high GPAs from the IITs. Based on what you shared here, you'll want to aim for schools where you are at least 40+ points above the average GMAT score (given the low GPA, the competitive demographic and the fact that your work experience & extracurriculars, while solid, are not that unique compared to the competition).

If you're only looking at non-US schools, some options might be Oxford, HEC, Rotman, Ivey, NUS, and other schools in that range.

Hope that helps!

Hi Jon
Thanks for your advice. If I apply to colleges after completing 3 years of experience, will I be having chances at more B-schools in Europe?
Also, does having a blog of my own add some value to my profile?
Admissionado
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Do you mean 3 more years of experience (so close to 6 years total?) I would not wait that long. Although it does skew a bit older in Europe, most top schools are looking for applicants who have 3-5 years of experience upon matriculation & if you wait 3 more years you will be close to the 7 year mark. When you get too "old" they start to worry that you no longer need the degree.

Unfortunately the adcom won't place any real value on a blog. They are looking to see business accomplishments in a full-time work setting (e.g. driving increases in revenue, decreases in costs, launching new products or services, leading teams, etc).
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Admissionado wrote:
Do you mean 3 more years of experience (so close to 6 years total?) I would not wait that long. Although it does skew a bit older in Europe, most top schools are looking for applicants who have 3-5 years of experience upon matriculation & if you wait 3 more years you will be close to the 7 year mark. When you get too "old" they start to worry that you no longer need the degree.

Unfortunately the adcom won't place any real value on a blog. They are looking to see business accomplishments in a full-time work setting (e.g. driving increases in revenue, decreases in costs, launching new products or services, leading teams, etc).

Hi Jon,

I have finally scheduled my GMAT for 5 October and my current shortlist for colleges is as below(in no particular order of preference)

1.ESADE
2.Imperial
3.CEIBS
4.Manchester Alliance
5.NTU
6.ISB

Now, I want to know whether I am playing more safe than necessary here according to my profile?
I want to go ahead and apply to HEC and SDA Bocconi as well but, I don`t have international experience.
Admissionado
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi Amoghzz! Given the competitiveness of your demographic I don't think you're playing it too safe with this list. I think it looks like a good one!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Admissionado wrote:
Hi Amoghzz! Given the competitiveness of your demographic I don't think you're playing it too safe with this list. I think it looks like a good one!

Hi Jon,

I gave my second attempt for GMAT and scored a 740. Should I apply to LBS and INSEAD with this score or just stick to my list of colleges?
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
It's definitely worth a shot as long as you have time in your schedule to add two more apps & really be able to do your best work. That INSEAD app is a doozy! It's not clear from what you shared here if you have the international experience INSEAD wants to see in applicants, so that would be one factor to consider especially since it is such a time consuming app. I think you'll have a shot at LBS assuming every other aspect of your application is strong (work accomplishments, post-MBA goals, leadership experience, etc). Especially since you are coming from a competitive demographic it's critical to differentiate yourself from the crowd, and test scores are just one piece of the puzzle.

If you'd like to chat in more detail definitely reach out to us. If you email Claudia at claudia@admissionado.com she can set you up with a free consultation with an MBA consultant who can take a look at your resume, talk through your goals with you & give you some more specific feedback & direction.
Moderator:
Admissionado
9216 posts