GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 25 Feb 2020, 14:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Profile evaluation: Indian l Male l GMAT- 710 l WE: 12 years

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
Profile evaluation: Indian l Male l GMAT- 710 l WE: 12 years  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Jan 2020, 06:18
Hi,

I would like to get expert opinion for my profile evaluation and gauge my chances of getting into Tier 1 business school. I am applying for 2020-2021 batch.

Please refer my details below:

Name: D. Sushil Kumar
Citizenship: India
Total work experience: 12 Years 7 months.
GMAT score: 710 (Q48, V39)

Education Details:
Class 10th Score: 85 %
Class 12th Score: 90%
Undergrad (2003-2007): B-Tech in mechanical engineering from National institute of technology, Warangal (NITW)- Tier 1 institute.
CGPA: 7.3 (as per GMAT conversion this is 4 out of 4?)

Work experience:

1. Maruti Suzuki India Ltd (India's leading automobile manufacturer): June 2007- Dec 2012
Department: Research and development
Position: Deputy manager ( Promoted once in 4 years)
Role: Managing product life cycle and carrying out digital simulations.

2. Bajaj Auto Ltd ( World's third largest motorcycle manufacturer) : Dec 2012- current
Department: Research and development
Position: Manager (Promoted once in 4 years)
Role: Leading digital mockup group (team of 5). Responsible for vehicle integration and all digital simulations related to vehicle assembly, ergonomics & service.

International exposure:

1. On the Job training at Suzuki Motor Corporation, Japan (Sep 2008 - Nov 2008)
2. Training at Suzuki Motor Corporation, Japan(Oct 2010 - Mar 2011). Also underwent language and cultural training under Japan's AOTS program.

Extracurricular activities:

1. Secured 149th position at All India Level English Proficiency during 1998-99.
2. Volunteer - Help Age India, for the cause and care of the elderly.
3. Was an active member of e-Parivartan, a CSR initiative at Maruti (Taught 30 underprivileged kids)

Languages Known: English, Hindi, Telugu & Japanese (beginner)

Recommendations: Can secure excellent recos from GM in current organization and DGM in previous organization.

Post MBA goal: Would like to make a career shift and work in product planning and strategy group of a major automotive OEM.

Target Schools: INSEAD, MIT ,Booth, Kellog, ISB, LBS, HEC , Said, Judge, IMD, IESE, IE.

Based on my profile can you please let me know which are good reach schools. Would really appreciate it if you can suggest any other schools that I should target for.

In addition to this, is a high work experience (10+ years) a concern? Does it affect my changes of getting into a B school? If yes, then how can I maximize my chances of getting an admit?
Admissionado
D
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Re: Profile evaluation: Indian l Male l GMAT- 710 l WE: 12 years  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jan 2020, 11:30
Thanks so much for sharing your background. Your profile has some wonderful differentiating features including your non-traditional automotive background, volunteer experience and global perspective through your work in Japan. Your age and length of work experience may concern the adcom at first glance, but we can help you take measures to alleviate those concerns.

Some of the top programs are hesitant to admit older candidates because they have their own job placement and salary increase statistics to consider. To address this, head on, we’ll want to do a few things:
- Showcase how valuable you’ll be by providing a plan for exactly how you will contribute to the program. How will you bring your expertise to the classroom and extracurricular activities? How do you plan to participate as an alumnus?
- Have a solid answer ready for “Why now?” Why is this the right time for you? What was happening in your personal or professional life five years ago that made that the wrong time?
- Show them that you need them! Which very specific offerings (courses, professors, clubs, and special programs unique to that school) do you need from the MBA degree that will aid you in your career pivot?
- Emphasize how you can help bolster their numbers. Demonstrate how you plan to obtain employment post-MBA through your own network and resources. It’s important to show how focused you are and that you will not be difficult to place upon graduation.

As far as school selection, your research background has served you well! The European programs tend to be more welcoming to older applicants, so you have done a great job here. I might also suggest Columbia as a reach and UCLA Anderson as a match school.

Would be happy to dig in further. We can get you started with a free consultation through the link provided: https://admissionado.com/free-consultation/

Good luck!

Best,

Stefanie
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
Profile evaluation: Indian l Male l GMAT- 710 l WE: 12 years  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jan 2020, 09:39
Admissionado wrote:
Thanks so much for sharing your background. Your profile has some wonderful differentiating features including your non-traditional automotive background, volunteer experience and global perspective through your work in Japan. Your age and length of work experience may concern the adcom at first glance, but we can help you take measures to alleviate those concerns.

Some of the top programs are hesitant to admit older candidates because they have their own job placement and salary increase statistics to consider. To address this, head on, we’ll want to do a few things:
- Showcase how valuable you’ll be by providing a plan for exactly how you will contribute to the program. How will you bring your expertise to the classroom and extracurricular activities? How do you plan to participate as an alumnus?
- Have a solid answer ready for “Why now?” Why is this the right time for you? What was happening in your personal or professional life five years ago that made that the wrong time?
- Show them that you need them! Which very specific offerings (courses, professors, clubs, and special programs unique to that school) do you need from the MBA degree that will aid you in your career pivot?
- Emphasize how you can help bolster their numbers. Demonstrate how you plan to obtain employment post-MBA through your own network and resources. It’s important to show how focused you are and that you will not be difficult to place upon graduation.

As far as school selection, your research background has served you well! The European programs tend to be more welcoming to older applicants, so you have done a great job here. I might also suggest Columbia as a reach and UCLA Anderson as a match school.

Would be happy to dig in further. We can get you started with a free consultation through the link provided: https://admissionado.com/free-consultation/

Good luck!

Best,

Stefanie

Thank you Stefanie. This helps a lot. To be honest I struggled quite a bit with "why MBA now". I have the framework ready. Need to hone it further.
INSEAD essays are challenging for sure. They make you introspect and take a really hard look at yourself. Admit/ no admit, I am enjoying writing these essays.

By the way, I have applied for a free consultation on your site.

Profile evaluation: Indian l Male l GMAT- 710 l WE: 12 years

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: Admissionado