GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Nov 2018, 20:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile evaluation + B school selection request.

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests
Profile evaluation + B school selection request.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Oct 2018, 22:20
Dear evaluators,

Thank you for your time. I am indebted to you for taking out time to help me with my MBA goals.

I am an Indian. I scored a 690 (V33, Q50) in GMAT in both my attempts. I was scoring upward of 760 in all my GMAT prep exams both the time but ended up with 690 in both my attempts. Since the deadlines are approaching, I wish to start my applications. Here is my profile.

Academics:
1. Undergrad - Btech (Electronics and Communication Engineering)- Gold Medalist. CGPA 9.64/10 equivalent to 96.4% overall and GPA = 4.

Before undergrad during school days
-Transformed from flunking a subject in every exam and being in the lower half of the class in terms of academics to topping the class and still a record holder for the maximum percentage achieved till date at that school.
-Won multiple awards and trophies from school as well.

Work ex: 25 months by October, 2018

1. Worked at India's biggest IT MNC for 9 months for a major US based pharmaceutical company. Won awards as a team and delivered a critical project alone within the first 2 months of joining the firm.

I left the job to join a high-risk US-based startup as a Marketing professional ( i had taken a minor Sales and Marketing course at the university apart from my engineering degree). Got promoted as the sales and marketing head of the company in 2 months. Handling the entire sales and marketing effort for all the child companies of the parent startup.

In order to boost our recruitment efforts and create an impact on the world, i started a venture within the startup and working as the CEO of the venture. We help people who can't afford an education or a professional degree from across the world start a career in tech by teaching them how to code for free. Currently, I manage a team of 10 developers and more than 50 people in the program from places such as Africa, Sri-Lanka, Unites States, India, Brazil, Bangladesh, Pakistan, France and many more.

Volunteering and community service:

I work as Volunteer for Art of Living. Organized multiple workshops at university and for elderly people helping them live a happier life through Yoga and meditation.
I also teach under-privileged children on weekends (Children of maids, garbage collectors, gatekeepers and such) who can't afford a quality education on their own.

What are the business schools i should apply to? Which of those has a higher possibility of giving scholarships to a guy like me.

This is my wishlist:

1. LBS
2. Any top 20 US business school.
3. Rotman
4. Ivey
5. INSEAD Singapore
6. Stanford (I know its impossible)
7. IE Spain
8. ESADE

Feedback on these and any more colleges that you find suitable would be really great. I would be really grateful for any input from you guys about how I should proceed now.
Admissionado
P
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Re: Profile evaluation + B school selection request.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Oct 2018, 20:14
Hey there! Thanks for reaching out. The good news is you've got great experience, you've had meaningful impact at work, and you have strong extracurriculars. The bad news, as you probably know, is that you're coming from the toughest demographic out there when it comes to b-school applications & it's one that tends to have very high GMAT scores. In general you want to at least hit a school's average GMAT but in your case you ideally really need to exceed it since you will be compared against others from your demographic who will have higher scores. For example, if a school's average is 700, very often the average among Indian IT/engineering applicants will be more like 740 - at least in my experience & based on what I've seen. Your work experience, some strong essays/goals & some strong LORs can help compensate for that lower than ideal GMAT for sure, and I think you have a shot at many of the schools you named here, but unless you can improve your GMAT I think it's going to be pretty tough to get a scholarship unfortunately. UNC, Tepper, & Emory would all be good options to consider since they do tend to take more people from the Indian IT/engineering demographic in my experience. I agree that Stanford is going to be a VERY long shot. I'm not sure it's really worth it to be honest, especially with a 690. Your time is better spent working on applications where you have a better shot at it so you can apply to 5-6 schools R2. LBS, INSEAD Singapore are a bit of a stretch but worth a shot, and you have a solid shot at Rotman, Ivey, and ESADE. Top 10 US programs will all be a stretch so I'd focus more on schools like UNC, Tepper & Emory like I said. Hope that helps!

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

==

***NEW Admissionado Products & Services! ***

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Now, read up and get smart:

That'll get you started. Still have questions? Reach out, and let’s gab. 
Our only requirement is that you don’t prefer warm milk over cold milk. Everyone else, 100% welcome.

Email: claudia@admissionado.com
Young People: WhatsApp or WeChat (@JonFrankHBS)
Older: FacebookTwitterLinkedIn 
Oldest: 866-409-4753

Profile evaluation + B school selection request.

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: JonAdmissionado

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap