GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Oct 2018, 16:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Profile evaluation: chance of getting into a reputable MBA program

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
Profile evaluation: chance of getting into a reputable MBA program  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Sep 2018, 20:19
Hello, could you please take some time to review and provide some advice to my profile, I will be really appreciated for your help :thumbup: :thumbup:

I began my college career in 2012, at a top 10 engineering school located at Midwest, but I had to drop out of the school due to multiple unfortunate situations (death of family members, lost family home in a fire accident, totaled my car and broke my ribs after being hit by a drunk driver, my mother's health issues and many more... :lol: :lol: ). I then went homeless for six months due to a lack of financial support. While using the local gym for shower, I met a future mentor of mine, which happened to be a very well-known businessman and the owner of several luxury automobile dealerships in the state. He offered me a job and I then began working with international student clients who had high demands for luxury vehicles, while taking community college courses and maintaining a healthy lifestyle (lost 70 pounds in four months). I eventually made my way back to university education in early 2016. Because my job really supports my family and funds my education, I continued working in the same automobile business for the next three years and received two promotions to the management level. However, my grade suffered due to my full-time working status while studying full-time. I will graduate this coming December and know that graduate school is not a possibility due to my poor GPA. And I firmly believe MBA can be an easy route for me to launch my future career and support my family along the way.

Here's my profile:

1) 25 years old Asian Male (U.S. Citizen)
2) will graduate from a top 60 university in the United States this December
3) 2.83 GPA (major in applied math, minors in economics, business administration, criminal justice, biology, chemistry, statistics).
4) 320+ GRE (my first try)
5) I am interested in management, entrepreneurship, marketing and business communication.
6) 4 years of full-time working experiences (with two promotions), will be 4.5 years before the starting of fall 2019 term.
7) very strong professional recommendations

schools of choice:

Tuck
McCombs
Owen
Olin (Washington)
Kelley
Miami (FL)
Babson
Fordham
Boston University

I am wondering which of the above universities do I realistically stand a chance to get into, even without any scholarship or funding? And I appreciate for any comment or evaluation on my profile, thank you so much!
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
G
Reviews Badge
Re: Profile evaluation: chance of getting into a reputable MBA program  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2018, 11:00
Hi there,
Wow, what a story. How fortunate that your mentor took a chance on you!

Your profile is of course non-traditional, since most applicants finish their undergraduate and then have 3-5 years of full-time work experience. So, gauging your chances is more difficult. Your story is going to be an important part, so they can see the hardships you've overcome.

It depends a bit on your quant/verbal breakdown but a 320+ GRE is pretty strong, though if you have time, I would retake to see if you can score even higher. Important to maximize that since you have a low GPA. Business schools do consider both GPA and GRE as part of your academic profile.

I worry most about your chances at Tuck, but it's also a school where they're known for wanting to get to know you and your personal story, so you could still give it a shot, but I think it will be tough. The others on your list seem more reasonable. Have you considered applying to part-time programs too? That is another option if you want to continue working.

Best of luck to you!
Kate

thomasliu2018 wrote:
Hello, could you please take some time to review and provide some advice to my profile, I will be really appreciated for your help :thumbup: :thumbup:

I began my college career in 2012, at a top 10 engineering school located at Midwest, but I had to drop out of the school due to multiple unfortunate situations (death of family members, lost family home in a fire accident, totaled my car and broke my ribs after being hit by a drunk driver, my mother's health issues and many more... :lol: :lol: ). I then went homeless for six months due to a lack of financial support. While using the local gym for shower, I met a future mentor of mine, which happened to be a very well-known businessman and the owner of several luxury automobile dealerships in the state. He offered me a job and I then began working with international student clients who had high demands for luxury vehicles, while taking community college courses and maintaining a healthy lifestyle (lost 70 pounds in four months). I eventually made my way back to university education in early 2016. Because my job really supports my family and funds my education, I continued working in the same automobile business for the next three years and received two promotions to the management level. However, my grade suffered due to my full-time working status while studying full-time. I will graduate this coming December and know that graduate school is not a possibility due to my poor GPA. And I firmly believe MBA can be an easy route for me to launch my future career and support my family along the way.

Here's my profile:

1) 25 years old Asian Male (U.S. Citizen)
2) will graduate from a top 60 university in the United States this December
3) 2.83 GPA (major in applied math, minors in economics, business administration, criminal justice, biology, chemistry, statistics).
4) 320+ GRE (my first try)
5) I am interested in management, entrepreneurship, marketing and business communication.
6) 4 years of full-time working experiences (with two promotions), will be 4.5 years before the starting of fall 2019 term.
7) very strong professional recommendations

schools of choice:

Tuck
McCombs
Owen
Olin (Washington)
Kelley
Miami (FL)
Babson
Fordham
Boston University

I am wondering which of the above universities do I realistically stand a chance to get into, even without any scholarship or funding? And I appreciate for any comment or evaluation on my profile, thank you so much!

Kate Richardson
mbaMission Senior Consultant and Chicago Booth Alum
http://www.mbamission.com
Read our school insider's guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders

Intern
Intern
Re: Profile evaluation: chance of getting into a reputable MBA program  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2018, 17:08
Thank you so much Kate, this is truly helpful! I had 170 in quant and 154 in verbal, and I will retake the exam by November and hopefully to improve my verbal score to 160. Initially, I was considering full-time MBA since I wished to finish education as soon as possible. But after months of researches online, I will most definitely give a shot to part-time or online MBA to certain schools (particularly Kelley, they have a top ranking online program). Again, thank you so much for the reply, and I am really appreciated for your help.
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
G
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2018, 07:03
That's an excellent quant score! Agree with seeing if you can boost verbal slightly, but quant is typically the more important section so I think you're still in good standing with your current score. Agree that Kelley's other options are worth checking out, in case a full-time option doesn't work out. Good luck!

thomasliu2018 wrote:
Thank you so much Kate, this is truly helpful! I had 170 in quant and 154 in verbal, and I will retake the exam by November and hopefully to improve my verbal score to 160. Initially, I was considering full-time MBA since I wished to finish education as soon as possible. But after months of researches online, I will most definitely give a shot to part-time or online MBA to certain schools (particularly Kelley, they have a top ranking online program). Again, thank you so much for the reply, and I am really appreciated for your help.

Kate Richardson
mbaMission Senior Consultant and Chicago Booth Alum
http://www.mbamission.com
Read our school insider's guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders

Profile evaluation: chance of getting into a reputable MBA program

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: mbaMissionKate

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap