GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Oct 2019, 12:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Profile Evaluation for Deferral Programs

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q46 V44
GMAT 2: 730 Q47 V44
GMAT 3: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Profile Evaluation for Deferral Programs  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2018, 08:33
Hello mbaMission,

I'd love some feedback on my profile before I apply to deferred enrollment MBA programs. My biggest concern is my quant profile. I'm still in undergrad, so I'd appreciate some tactical recommendations for how to best position my candidacy during the rest of the year.

Race: Asian (adopted).
GMAT: 760 (49Q/44V), third try. Previous tries: 730 (46Q/44V) and 730 (47Q/44V).
GPA: 3.68. Double-major in Economics and English Literature, minor in Business from a top non-Ivy (i.e. Northwestern, Duke, University of Chicago).

Work Experience:
Starting July 2019 - Entry-level consultant at a tier 2 consulting firm (Oliver Wyman, L.E.K., or A.T. Kearney).
June 2018 - Aug. 2018 - Business analytics intern at Capital One.
Sep. 2017 - Dec. 2017 - Research intern at a boutique M&A advisory firm.
June 2017 - Sep. 2017 - Operations and growth strategy intern at a technology-focused nonprofit.

Extracurriculars:
Sep. 2018 - Present - Teach guitar to an autistic child through a campus organization.
Sep. 2016 - Present - Research assistant at top business school in Management & Organizations.
May 2018 - Present - Campus tour guide.
Oct. 2016 - Present - Executive board member on campus' largest student organization, focused on entertainment.
Mar. 2016 - Oct. 2018 - Finance committee member on student government.
Jan. 2018 - Mar. 2018 - Entrepreneurship group project leader.
Jan 2017 - Mar. 2017 - Nonprofit strategy consulting project leader.

Also a rap and R&B musician involved with the music scene on campus.

My goal is to integrate my interests in music and strategy to become a growth leader at an entertainment technology company (i.e. corporate strategy or corporate development at Spotify).

My target schools are HBS, GSB, CSB, Booth, and Sloan. I plan to apply in April 2019 and expect good recommendations.

I started out with a rough freshman year, and obtained a C in vector calculus, a C in linear algebra, and a C+ in accelerated microeconomics. My overall GPA in solely quantitative classes (i.e. finance, accounting, math, and quantitative economics) is a 3.24. Is this good enough? Should I write a supplemental essay explaining the rough transition? Should I retake any math courses before applying? Should I complete MBA Math or HBX CORe?

Thanks so much!
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
B
Re: Profile Evaluation for Deferral Programs  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2018, 23:31
Hi and thanks for your post.

You have a strong profile. A 760 with a 49Q is excellent, even for the top schools you mentioned.
Your work experience is also good and definitely quant-focused. Be sure to emphasize your analytical accomplishments, through your resume, essays, and recommendation letters.
In general, a 3.24 in those quant courses is certainly good enough, and not worthy of mentioning in an Optional Essay. The only part of your profile that you should address in the Optional Essay is your 3 C's during freshman year. It is common to have a rough start, so do not worry that an admissions committee will be unforgiving regarding those. Just be brief and do not make excuses when you address this.
I don't think you need to take additional math courses to boost your profile, as you seem to have shown that you will succeed in the MBA classroom. It still couldn't hurt to take MBA Math or HBX Core, especially if you feel that it will help prepare you for the rigors of class, but it is not necessary.
Good luck!

Free Consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php
Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insider's Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders

Profile Evaluation for Deferral Programs

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: mbaMissionKate