GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Jan 2019, 05:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in January
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • 4 Tips for Interviews

January 18, 2019

January 18, 2019

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

4 tips that will help you prepare for MBA interviews
  • Personal MBA Coach’s Overview of Top EMBA Programs

January 19, 2019

January 19, 2019

Personal MBA Coach's Overview of Top EMBA Programs eBook To download for free, join our mailing list and receive weekly tips on perfecting your MBA applications

Profile Evaluation for EMBA (Thank you!)

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
Profile Evaluation for EMBA (Thank you!)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Dec 2018, 02:37
Thanks in advance for taking a look at my EMBA profile. I am just starting my EMBA applications and wanted to gauge my chances of acceptance to an elite program.

Education: BBA in Public Accounting from a CUNY school (Macalauy Honors Program; It’s not an IVY institution but chose to attend this program since it offered full-tuition scholarships.)
GPA: 3.9 out of 4.0
GMAT: 670 (Q50, V32) didn’t put much effort for CR due to time constraints… which didn’t allow me to get the score I wanted. Hope to break 700 in my next exam (first week of January 2019)

Work Experience: 9 years; my career progression is quiet interesting… I wrote quiet a lot so thanks in advance!
1) Local CPA office for 2 years.
I got into a fatal car accident right after my undergraduate graduation so I had to let go my full-time offer at a public accounting firm. I spent these two years focusing on rebuilding my health (attending rehab sessions and seeing doctors on a regular basis) and working at a family friends’ local CPA office. During this time, I also studied for the CPA and passed all four parts.

2) Mid-Sized Public Accounting Firm for 2 years (i.e. BDO, RSM, Grant Thorton)
After fully recovering from my injuries, I applied for a Tax Associate Position (Financial Services industry focused) at a Mid-Sized Public Accounting firm. (Big 4 has campus recruiting programs so I wasn’t able to apply.)
My partner and I had a great relationship so he had me attend meetings with well-known hedge funds and private equity firms. These experiences really opened my eyes and triggered my interest in M&A and business transactions.

3) Mid-Sized Public Advisory Firm for 1 year – After realizing my interest in M&A and various deal transactions, I actively reached out to the Transaction Services partner within the firm. After engaging him for couple months, I made a deal with him that he’d give me an opportunity if I were to pass CFA Level I. I had no prior finance background so I spent a good amount of time studying for the exam and built a general finance knowledge. I passed at the end and was able to secure the position.

At this position, I was put on many interesting engagements and actively engaged on these deals (carrying out due diligence, valuation, and fairness opinion). In about 8 months into the job, there was a tax reorganization deal for a classified online advertising company. This company was very contentious at that time since it contained adult contents. People were holding pickets and protesting outside the client’s office, voicing their concern that this online adult content promoted sexual trafficking. Ultimately, my team did an analysis and helped our client save a hefty amount of money. I was happy that the deal got successfully closed at the end but wasn’t very proud of the fact that my talents and skills were being used to promote certain corporate interests.

Thought there had to be a place where I can leverage my background in accounting and finance to better the public good and found out about Public Finance. I cold-emailed many people at both BB and MM IB’s and was able to finally secure a position at a MM IB public finance group.

4) MM IB for 4 years – Public Finance generally deals with public entities and finances their capital needs by underwriting Tax-Exempt bonds. My position is very unique in the sense that my team specializes in M&A and restructuring of these public entities in Higher Education and Healthcare sector. I believe there is no other better place where I can leverage my Accounting/Finance and transaction expertise and work to promote the public good.

One of the highlights at this firm is that I managed 10-12 analysts (5-6 analysts per year) to recover businesses that were lost after this prominent banker left. I built a platform where I could train my analysts, communicate at both levels (Up and down), and create an analysis that could readily be available for a scheduled meeting. After two years, we recovered most of our businesses and climbed back up the league table. With this accomplishment, I got promoted to Senior Associate in 2 years and I’m up for VP promotion this year.

Reasons to pursue EMBA, not MBA:
The reason that I want to pursue EMBA (instead of MBA) is that I have a secure job and am at a mid-level management in which I manage couple analysts and associates. Most switch their career to finance (i.e. IB and PE) post MBA but I already have a job in IB.

Reasons to pursue EMBA (Wharton or Columbia):
1) Networking - Working in banking, I realize that your network means a lot more as you move up the ladder. Earning a degree from these institutions will provide me with networking opportunities not only within the industry but also various clients that I will be dealing with. This will open many doors as I approach and pitch to investors (bondholders such as mutual funds, hedge funds, and PE firms). Many are Columbia and Wharton MBA graduates so making connections would become that much smooth.
2) Finance – Since my background is in accounting, I haven’t had a chance to study finance in depth. A lot of the studying were done through studying for CFA Level I and reading materials/dealing with financial models on the job. This is particularly why I love Wharton’s program. Wharton’s program is well-known for its finance program and it’s heavy quant (not that theoretical knowledge is less important). To say the least, I understand the important of numbers so I appreciate it even more.
3) Research – The number of defaults in public entities due to their distressed financial conditions is on the rise. This is the area that I specialize in; I advise these entities by introducing alternative finance strategies such as asset sales, sale-lease back, restructuring of their credits. However, since this concept is relatively new in public sector, there is still much to research to be done and provide answers that could help fix the system as a whole. Wharton and Columbia have tremendous amount of resources that I can take advantage of to further research this area.

Post-MBA:
Short-Term: Planning on staying at my current firm since my senior bankers are experts in this relatively new field. I’d like to learn and experience as many deal as possible. Learning real-life examples is also as important. After my MBA, I’d like to further expand to other sectors (public energy and governmental entities) since we currently focus on Higher Education and Healthcare sector.
Long-Term: Either working for a PE firm that focuses on turning around troubled assets portfolio or senior management level at one of the prominent Higher Education systems and Healthcare systems.

I’m planning on applying for Wharton and Columbia. I understand the deadline is quickly approaching so I wanted to post my profile and ask for any feedback that could increase my chances.
I thank you in advance for your help. If I get to know you in person, I will treat you with a cup of coffee (or couple drinks…)!
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
S
Re: Profile Evaluation for EMBA (Thank you!)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2018, 12:22
Hi, and thanks for writing! Based on the information that you have provided, it sounds like you'd be a solid candidate for an EMBA program if you're able to get very strong recommendations that attest to your performance, growth, and potential for leadership at this company. Also, be clear about the motivations behind your goals - business schools want to know not only what goals you're pursuing but WHY - what drives them. Additionally, for each program make a strong case for why it's a strong fit for you based on its resources and culture.

If you would like to discuss further, let's have a 30-minute discussion on your profile: https://www.mbamission.com/consult/?dis ... admissions

jamesyang424 wrote:
Thanks in advance for taking a look at my EMBA profile. I am just starting my EMBA applications and wanted to gauge my chances of acceptance to an elite program.

Education: BBA in Public Accounting from a CUNY school (Macalauy Honors Program; It’s not an IVY institution but chose to attend this program since it offered full-tuition scholarships.)
GPA: 3.9 out of 4.0
GMAT: 670 (Q50, V32) didn’t put much effort for CR due to time constraints… which didn’t allow me to get the score I wanted. Hope to break 700 in my next exam (first week of January 2019)

Work Experience: 9 years; my career progression is quiet interesting… I wrote quiet a lot so thanks in advance!
1) Local CPA office for 2 years.
I got into a fatal car accident right after my undergraduate graduation so I had to let go my full-time offer at a public accounting firm. I spent these two years focusing on rebuilding my health (attending rehab sessions and seeing doctors on a regular basis) and working at a family friends’ local CPA office. During this time, I also studied for the CPA and passed all four parts.

2) Mid-Sized Public Accounting Firm for 2 years (i.e. BDO, RSM, Grant Thorton)
After fully recovering from my injuries, I applied for a Tax Associate Position (Financial Services industry focused) at a Mid-Sized Public Accounting firm. (Big 4 has campus recruiting programs so I wasn’t able to apply.)
My partner and I had a great relationship so he had me attend meetings with well-known hedge funds and private equity firms. These experiences really opened my eyes and triggered my interest in M&A and business transactions.

3) Mid-Sized Public Advisory Firm for 1 year – After realizing my interest in M&A and various deal transactions, I actively reached out to the Transaction Services partner within the firm. After engaging him for couple months, I made a deal with him that he’d give me an opportunity if I were to pass CFA Level I. I had no prior finance background so I spent a good amount of time studying for the exam and built a general finance knowledge. I passed at the end and was able to secure the position.

At this position, I was put on many interesting engagements and actively engaged on these deals (carrying out due diligence, valuation, and fairness opinion). In about 8 months into the job, there was a tax reorganization deal for a classified online advertising company. This company was very contentious at that time since it contained adult contents. People were holding pickets and protesting outside the client’s office, voicing their concern that this online adult content promoted sexual trafficking. Ultimately, my team did an analysis and helped our client save a hefty amount of money. I was happy that the deal got successfully closed at the end but wasn’t very proud of the fact that my talents and skills were being used to promote certain corporate interests.

Thought there had to be a place where I can leverage my background in accounting and finance to better the public good and found out about Public Finance. I cold-emailed many people at both BB and MM IB’s and was able to finally secure a position at a MM IB public finance group.

4) MM IB for 4 years – Public Finance generally deals with public entities and finances their capital needs by underwriting Tax-Exempt bonds. My position is very unique in the sense that my team specializes in M&A and restructuring of these public entities in Higher Education and Healthcare sector. I believe there is no other better place where I can leverage my Accounting/Finance and transaction expertise and work to promote the public good.

One of the highlights at this firm is that I managed 10-12 analysts (5-6 analysts per year) to recover businesses that were lost after this prominent banker left. I built a platform where I could train my analysts, communicate at both levels (Up and down), and create an analysis that could readily be available for a scheduled meeting. After two years, we recovered most of our businesses and climbed back up the league table. With this accomplishment, I got promoted to Senior Associate in 2 years and I’m up for VP promotion this year.

Reasons to pursue EMBA, not MBA:
The reason that I want to pursue EMBA (instead of MBA) is that I have a secure job and am at a mid-level management in which I manage couple analysts and associates. Most switch their career to finance (i.e. IB and PE) post MBA but I already have a job in IB.

Reasons to pursue EMBA (Wharton or Columbia):
1) Networking - Working in banking, I realize that your network means a lot more as you move up the ladder. Earning a degree from these institutions will provide me with networking opportunities not only within the industry but also various clients that I will be dealing with. This will open many doors as I approach and pitch to investors (bondholders such as mutual funds, hedge funds, and PE firms). Many are Columbia and Wharton MBA graduates so making connections would become that much smooth.
2) Finance – Since my background is in accounting, I haven’t had a chance to study finance in depth. A lot of the studying were done through studying for CFA Level I and reading materials/dealing with financial models on the job. This is particularly why I love Wharton’s program. Wharton’s program is well-known for its finance program and it’s heavy quant (not that theoretical knowledge is less important). To say the least, I understand the important of numbers so I appreciate it even more.
3) Research – The number of defaults in public entities due to their distressed financial conditions is on the rise. This is the area that I specialize in; I advise these entities by introducing alternative finance strategies such as asset sales, sale-lease back, restructuring of their credits. However, since this concept is relatively new in public sector, there is still much to research to be done and provide answers that could help fix the system as a whole. Wharton and Columbia have tremendous amount of resources that I can take advantage of to further research this area.

Post-MBA:
Short-Term: Planning on staying at my current firm since my senior bankers are experts in this relatively new field. I’d like to learn and experience as many deal as possible. Learning real-life examples is also as important. After my MBA, I’d like to further expand to other sectors (public energy and governmental entities) since we currently focus on Higher Education and Healthcare sector.
Long-Term: Either working for a PE firm that focuses on turning around troubled assets portfolio or senior management level at one of the prominent Higher Education systems and Healthcare systems.

I’m planning on applying for Wharton and Columbia. I understand the deadline is quickly approaching so I wanted to post my profile and ask for any feedback that could increase my chances.
I thank you in advance for your help. If I get to know you in person, I will treat you with a cup of coffee (or couple drinks…)!

Nisha Trivedi
mbaMission Admissions Consultant

Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Profile Evaluation for EMBA (Thank you!)

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: mbaMissionKate

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap