GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Jan 2019, 17:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in January
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Round 3 vs Next Year: When Should You Apply?

January 16, 2019

January 16, 2019

10:00 AM PST

10:00 AM PST

Learn what distinguishes Round 3 from other rounds and how to assess your profile to decide when to apply to b-school in this live webinar! Wednesday, Jan 16th at 10AM PST / 1PM ET
  • 4 Tips for Interviews

January 18, 2019

January 18, 2019

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

4 tips that will help you prepare for MBA interviews

Profile Evaluation for HBS 2+2

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
Profile Evaluation for HBS 2+2  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jan 2019, 15:03
I will be applying to 2+2 soon. Was hoping people could evaluate my profile and guide me as I'm trying to figure out how I can differentiate myself from others applying to 2+2.

- Go to a top 40 college worldwide, studying business
- 4.0 GPA
- 750 GMAT
- President of school's Investment Club with 500+ members
- Founder of non-profit organization that has impacted over 500 individuals
- Part-time internship at a start-up
- Internship in private equity
- Internship in investment banking in New York (top 1-5 firm), going back here upon graduation
- Represented my school in national case competitions, placing as best as 3rd
- Received top academic and leadership-related awards at my school
- Recommendations from my boss from my investment banking internship and an advisor at my college whom I've worked closely with during my time at the Investment Club

My biggest question is how can I differentiate myself from others with similar profiles. I realize most people applying to 2+2 probably have similar accomplishments. Given I fall into the business/econ bucket (which comprises a smaller percentage of the 2+2 class), how can I stand out from the rest?
Admissionado
P
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Re: Profile Evaluation for HBS 2+2  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jan 2019, 07:05
There are a few ways you can differentiate yourself: first, you'll want to show the unique impact you've had in your leadership roles. It's great that you are president of this club, but what did you DO in that role? How did you impact your community via that role? Or what new results did you drive that had not been achieved before?

It's awesome that you started a non-profit & again you want to show your leadership & impact there. Did you manage a team? How exactly did you impact these 500 people? While that's not an enormous number, it still shows great initiative that you started a successful non-profit. In addition to showing impact, you can differentiate yourself here by speaking to WHY you started this non-profit. What drove you to do it & what does that show us about who you are as a person (and as a future business leader)?

You mentioned the leadership awards from school as well. There's not a whole lot to say about academic ones (they'll see your transcript already) but if you have taken specific actions that led to an award that can be something to highlight as well.

The big point here is that you can't just tell them you're a leader, you need to SHOW them via your stories & examples.

Finally, your career goals are critical to making a strong argument for why you need this degree but, depending on what they are, they can also be a way to differentiate yourself. If you have a unique set of goals, great. If they are not unique, you can still differentiate yourself by telling a strong story of WHY these are your goals & what you hope to uniquely accomplish in them (so again, the impact you want to have).

All in all I think you've got the makings of a strong app & hope those tips are helpful. Good luck to you!

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

==

***NEW Admissionado Products & Services! ***

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Now, read up and get smart:

That'll get you started. Still have questions? Reach out, and let’s gab. 
Our only requirement is that you don’t prefer warm milk over cold milk. Everyone else, 100% welcome.

Email: claudia@admissionado.com
Young People: WhatsApp or WeChat (@JonFrankHBS)
Older: FacebookTwitterLinkedIn 
Oldest: 866-409-4753

Intern
Intern
Re: Profile Evaluation for HBS 2+2  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jan 2019, 08:48
Thank you so much Jon! This is super helpful. I'll keep all this in mind while writing my app.

Posted from my mobile device

Profile Evaluation for HBS 2+2

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: JonAdmissionado

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap