Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 21:14 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 21:14

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 614 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Profile evaluation for INSEAD [#permalink]
Would love some evaluation for my future MBA applications! Thanks in advance!

Background and nationality:
White german male

Undergrad information:
MSc and BSc in physics at the same major engineering-focussed german university (RWTH/ TUM/ KIT)
- MSc in Physics (1.5 german / 3.5 US GPA)
- BSc in Physics (1.8 german / 3.2 US GPA)
- Scholar of Studienstiftung des deutschen Volkes during the whole studies

GMAT:
not yet done

Work experience and leadership:
Will join a tier 2 strategy consulting firm (Strategy&/ ATKearny/ Oliver Wyman) as an associate this summer.
Previously:
- interned at a Fortune Global 500 (top ten) inhouse consulting firm
- interned at a university in the middle east as a sort of teaching assistant for physics and some engineering (more riding camels than real work)
- interned at a german boutique consulting firm (a few hundred employees)
- student assistant at a Big 4 and some more less relevant

Community and others:
- Secretary and board member at a service club (think of youth organizations from Rotary/ Lions)
- Working group member at a political think tank on transatlantic relations
- Selection committee member at Studienstiftung des deutschen Volkes
- Deputy Chairman of the german conservative party youth organization in my high school town
- Chairman at my student fraternity (mostly fencing stuff and drinking beers)

Post MBA goals:
Not 100% sure. Very interested in PE/VC and IBD, also MBB consulting, for some years. Corporate strategy/development in the long term.

Anything else?
Plan to do the GMAT and try to apply as soon as possible to start the MBA after two (or three) years at my firm (to hopefully benefit from the firm's sponsorship).
Not sure if I will focus in an industry practice or the deals strategy practice.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.33
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Hi guys, please evaluate my profile for an INSEAD admit/ also suggest any other B-schools (location agnostic) that I can target. I am open to all schools across Europe and US.

Undergrad: B.Tech in Mechanical Engineering (2015-19) (3.33 GPA)
Job 1 : Mechanical Engineer in Dubai (UAE) (2019-2020) 13 months
Job 2: Consultant (EY)-Handling projects for Tata Steel and its subsidiaries across India/Canada/SE Asia/Europe. (2021-Current) (I started as an Analyst and got two promotions within 18 months. (36 months experience as of July '2024),
Currently working on a merger of the aforementioned subsidiaries as part of another engagement.

Extra Curriculars in Undergrad
1. Member (AIESEC)-Business Dev and Student exchanges
2. Team Lead-ISHRAE won a grant to design an environment friendly AC

Extra Curriculars in my current job:
Mentoring students from under privileged backgrounds by understanding their inclinations towards various disciplines (Science and Commerce)

Post MBA Goals:
Get into the bigger consulting firms (McKinsey, BCG, BAIN, L.E.K..) open to roles in supply chain and operations management.

Please indicate if I do stand a chance with this profile and do indicate a SAFE GMAT score as I do come from an over represented category of applicants.

Thanks in advance!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 74 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
ashesh25 wrote:
Hi guys, please evaluate my profile for an INSEAD admit/ also suggest any other B-schools (location agnostic) that I can target. I am open to all schools across Europe and US.

Job 2: Consultant (EY)-Handling projects for Tata Steel and its subsidiaries across India/Canada/SE Asia/Europe. (2021-Current) (I started as an Analyst and got two promotions within 18 months. (36 months experience as of July '2024),
Currently working on a merger of the aforementioned subsidiaries as part of another engagement.

Mentoring students from under privileged backgrounds by understanding their inclinations towards various disciplines (Science and Commerce)

Post MBA Goals:
Get into the bigger consulting firms (McKinsey, BCG, BAIN, L.E.K..) open to roles in supply chain and operations management.

Please indicate if I do stand a chance with this profile and do indicate a SAFE GMAT score as I do come from an over represented category of applicants.

Thanks in advance!

Hey ashesh25,

Given that your GPA is below median, its recommended that you give the GMAT a good shot and aim for score north of 740 to have a good shot at some top tier programs in the upcoming application cycle.

You have international experience in Dubai which is a strong positive. Additionally, working in multiple capacities across TATA Steel will give a robust understanding of project management specially since they have international operations spanning multiple geographies. It will be crucial to build on this experience in your essays and really convince the adcom why a consulting career will the best fit for you.

Your ECs are pretty strong which should paint your candidacy in a good light and can add flavor to your story.

In terms of schools, you should consider HEC Paris which can be a gateway to a consulting career in the EU along with an IMD, in addition to your INSEAD application. For the US schools, you can think about a Ross, Darden, Goizueta and Johnson for good consulting recruiting with the US.

Hope that helps?

Thank you,
TheMBAEdge
MBA and Beyond Consulting
Status:MBA Admissions Consulting from INSEAD, Wharton and Columbia graduates
Affiliations: INSEAD and Harvard
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hello scrantonstrangler,

Thanks for sharing your profile. You seem to have a solid profile with some strong elements that can make you a competitive candidate for top MBA programs. Here's an evaluation of your profile and some suggestions for B-schools:

Academics: Your undergraduate GPA of 3.33 is decent and shows a good academic foundation. While it may not be exceptionally high, it is still within the competitive range for many business schools.

Work Experience: Your work experience as a Mechanical Engineer in Dubai and subsequent role as a Consultant at EY is valuable. The promotions within a short period demonstrate your strong performance and growth potential. Your experience working on projects for Tata Steel and its subsidiaries across different regions showcases your exposure to diverse industries and geographies, which can be advantageous for your MBA application.

Extracurricular Activities: Your involvement in AIESEC during your undergraduate years demonstrates your interest in business development and international student exchanges. Additionally, your current extracurricular involvement in mentoring students from underprivileged backgrounds showcases your commitment to social impact and leadership potential.

Post-MBA Goals: Your goal of transitioning to bigger consulting firms and targeting roles in supply chain and operations management aligns well with your prior experience and demonstrates a clear career focus.

Considering your profile and goals, here are a few B-schools you can consider:

1. INSEAD: Given your interest in European schools, INSEAD is a top choice. They value diversity, global experience, and have a strong consulting network.
2. London Business School: LBS is highly regarded for its international reputation and strong consulting connections. It offers excellent opportunities to connect with consulting firms in the UK and Europe.
3. Harvard Business School: Although it's in the US, Harvard has a global reach and offers exceptional resources and networking opportunities for consulting aspirants.
4. Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania: Wharton is known for its strength in finance and consulting. It has a rigorous curriculum and a vast alumni network that can facilitate career opportunities.
5. MIT Sloan School of Management: MIT Sloan is renowned for its focus on technology and innovation. It offers a strong consulting track and emphasizes hands-on learning.

Regarding a safe GMAT score, it's challenging to specify an exact number. However, for your profile, aiming for a GMAT score above 700 would be advisable to increase your chances of admission.

Remember that your application is not solely dependent on GMAT scores. Other factors, such as essays, recommendation letters, and interview performance, also play a crucial role. Highlight your achievements, leadership experience, and the impact you've made in your work and extracurricular activities to strengthen your application. It's important to thoroughly research each school, their values, and their specific requirements to tailor your application accordingly. Good luck with your MBA journey!

If you have any questions about your profile or the program and would like to have a more thorough and personalized discussion with our top profile experts, please feel free to schedule a free profile evaluation call with us. We would be more than happy to assist you.
Book a free profile evaluation call now!

Cheers!
MBA and Beyond

scrantonstrangler wrote:

Post MBA Goals:

Thanks in advance!
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [0]
Given Kudos: 155
Send PM
Expert Reply
scrantonstrangler wrote:

Post MBA Goals:

Thanks in advance!

Hi,
Just wondering how you arrived at the GPA- most Indian colleges do not follow a 4.0 grading system, So if you are converting, it may be a wrong interpretation. Most b-schools will not require you to convert your undergrad scores in any case. A high GMAt score always helps an Indian applicant considering you will be from an over represented category. The demand for a higher score tends to go up more when you apply to US based MBA programs. So, do target a score 730+. It's definitely helpful.

The thing I like about your work experience is that it is very international. that will definitely help your INSEAD application as they do look for students
who have had international exposure. The merger experience is again noteworthy. I'd like to hear more details about the work, specifically your achievements and impact through work. Feel free to share your resume with me (email in signature).

Overall your profile is decent for the top 10-25 MBA programs. The ECAs look a little light. Your goals sound OK and you can build a story around them (will need to know more about the nature of your work to comment on this in more detail).

Regarding the b-schools- it will be difficult to advise without knowing what your GMAT score is. Like I said earlier, you could look into the top 20-25 MBA programs in the US. There are several viable options in the UK and Europe as well
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 614 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
Send PM
scrantonstrangler wrote:

Post MBA Goals:

Thanks in advance!

Hi scrantonstrangler hope this finds you well . I am an INSEAD alum and have served tenure as INSEAD admissions interviewer.

You did not mention your undergraduate pedigree. Sometimes with a top MBA program, the prestige of your college can play a role in attracting extra attention, especially if your GMAT or GPA scores are average.

I like your work experience, especially the international focus. It would be interesting to know what aspects of the merger you have been involved with and how that shapes your future goals for consulting.

INSEAD
To be honest, your chances at INSEAD largely depend on your GMAT score due to the competitive demographic. While your profile is interesting and seems to fit INSEAD's evaluation criteria (international focus, academic orientation, ability to contribute during and after your studies, leadership skills), it is important that you present your work experience and vision for your future career from a unique perspective. Keep in mind that there may be profiles with slight differences that could be preferred when it comes down to statistics. For example, the school might ultimately select a similar profile with IIT/MBB credentials or a woman applicant with a similar background in engineering/manufacturing to ensure diversity. Therefore, aim for a high GMAT score to increase your chances (740 or above).

If you are focused on consulting, consider IESE in the EU. In the US, Ross might be a good choice due to its strong positioning in operations. There are many other programs, so I recommend you do your research to find the right school.

ECs
Your extracurricular activities are not extensive, but I recommend you think about them thoroughly and analyze whether you might have overlooked any mundane, subtle initiatives you have taken over the years. For example, traveling, learning a new language, participating in diversity initiatives in the workplace (opposing gender discrimination, promoting diversity in the workforce), supporting those in need (financially or morally), teaching disadvantaged children, organizing diversity conversations or outside activities to promote better collaboration between teams, and more. Sometimes you have to do some soul-searching to find out in what ways you have contributed to your community.

Feel free to reach out should you need candid advice

Aanchal Sahni (INSEAD alum, ex admissions interviewer)
MBAGuideConsulting
LinkedIn |WEBSITE: https://mbaguideconsulting.com/ | Message: +91 9971200927| email- mbaguideconsulting@gmail.com
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
Send PM
CMB97 wrote:
Would love some evaluation for my future MBA applications! Thanks in advance!

Background and nationality:
White german male

Undergrad information:
MSc and BSc in physics at the same major engineering-focussed german university (RWTH/ TUM/ KIT)
- MSc in Physics (1.5 german / 3.5 US GPA)
- BSc in Physics (1.8 german / 3.2 US GPA)
- Scholar of Studienstiftung des deutschen Volkes during the whole studies

GMAT:
not yet done

Work experience and leadership:
Will join a tier 2 strategy consulting firm (Strategy&/ ATKearny/ Oliver Wyman) as an associate this summer.
Previously:
- interned at a Fortune Global 500 (top ten) inhouse consulting firm
- interned at a university in the middle east as a sort of teaching assistant for physics and some engineering (more riding camels than real work)
- interned at a german boutique consulting firm (a few hundred employees)
- student assistant at a Big 4 and some more less relevant

Community and others:
- Secretary and board member at a service club (think of youth organizations from Rotary/ Lions)
- Working group member at a political think tank on transatlantic relations
- Selection committee member at Studienstiftung des deutschen Volkes
- Deputy Chairman of the german conservative party youth organization in my high school town
- Chairman at my student fraternity (mostly fencing stuff and drinking beers)

Post MBA goals:
Not 100% sure. Very interested in PE/VC and IBD, also MBB consulting, for some years. Corporate strategy/development in the long term.

Anything else?
Plan to do the GMAT and try to apply as soon as possible to start the MBA after two (or three) years at my firm (to hopefully benefit from the firm's sponsorship).
Not sure if I will focus in an industry practice or the deals strategy practice.

Posted from my mobile device

"White" male, riding camels in Middle East, Conservative Party... aren't you a treat
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1585 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
scrantonstrangler wrote:

Post MBA Goals:

Thanks in advance!

Hello and thank you for sharing your profile. Let's dive into your profile:

- Your academic profile seems solid, with a decent GPA in Mechanical Engineering. Your extra-curricular activities during your undergrad show leadership and initiative, especially the project for ISHRAE. For GMAT, we'd recommend aiming for a score of 730+ to strengthen your application given the over-representation of Indian candidates in global MBA programs.
- As an applicant from the consulting sector, you have the advantage of a strong foundation in business problem-solving. Your post-MBA goal to continue in consulting at a bigger firm is a realistic and common transition for many applicants from this sector. However, we'd suggest you to delve deeper into your specific interest areas within consulting, perhaps specializing in a specific industry or function to make your goals stand out.
- You've demonstrated clear career progression at EY, including two promotions, which is commendable. The merger project you're working on is particularly interesting and speaks to your strategic abilities. Be ready to highlight the impacts of your work and the specific skills you've gained through these experiences. We've noticed applicants from your industry often struggle to communicate their impact beyond the team or project level, so be sure to show how your contributions have benefitted the overall company or industry.
- Next steps: Start researching the unique aspects of the INSEAD program and other potential schools and think about how these features align with your career goals. More specifically, consider how INSEAD’s ten-month, two-campus program would support your ambition to work in larger consulting firms. Additionally, start drafting your essays to articulate your story in a compelling and personal way. Remember, business schools are not just looking for accomplished applicants, but also individuals who can bring unique perspectives and contribute to their community. In response to your question, we believe that you stand a strong chance at INSEAD and other similar schools, given your profile. The GMAT is the next step.

We hope this evaluation aids you in your application journey. Feel free to post any further questions or reach out to us directly.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
MBA Admissions Consultant
3699 posts