GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 25 Jan 2020, 14:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Profile Evaluation for Master Programme

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
Profile Evaluation for Master Programme  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2019, 06:01
Hello,
I would like to ask an evaluation of my profile. Here it goes.

Background:
-GMAT 710 (Q48, V39), retook the 9/12/19, got 680 (Q49, V34) but cancelled it
-22 years of age, male
-Both Russian and Italian passport
-Finance Major (undergrad)
-Studied in the Netherlands
-GPA 7.9/10 - converted to US 3.9/4
-Working since August in a data science trainee position
-Company is willing to finance part of my studies
-Was part of my university's investment club
-Worked as a research assistant for a project at the University of Zurich

Would like to do a Master of Business Analytics/Computational Finance programme in either MIT, UCLA, Duke or Carnegie Mellon.

Would appreciate any reply. Thanks!

Best regards,
Ev
Admissionado
D
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Re: Profile Evaluation for Master Programme  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Dec 2019, 00:08
Hi there,

You have great undergrad GPA and a decent GMAT (would need 730 for MIT though), and some of the unknowns are where you went for undergrad, quality of your recommendation letters and essays. However, one thing you do need more of for a fact is work experience. You only started working in August, so your work experience is on the light side compared to those who apply to these schools. My recommendation is to have at least 2-3 years of work experience because these schools typically look for people with some experience. Also think about what you would like to gain out of these programs as being able to write compelling essays about why you want to attend those schools will be crucial. Hope this helps and good luck!
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39

Show Tags

New post 12 Dec 2019, 12:37
Admissionado wrote:
Hi there,

You have great undergrad GPA and a decent GMAT (would need 730 for MIT though), and some of the unknowns are where you went for undergrad, quality of your recommendation letters and essays. However, one thing you do need more of for a fact is work experience. You only started working in August, so your work experience is on the light side compared to those who apply to these schools. My recommendation is to have at least 2-3 years of work experience because these schools typically look for people with some experience. Also think about what you would like to gain out of these programs as being able to write compelling essays about why you want to attend those schools will be crucial. Hope this helps and good luck!

Hello,
Thank you for the reply.
My undergrad is Maastricht University, which is somewhat known in Western Europe.
Regarding my recommendations I will get three, one from the director of the company I work at and two from professors at my uni.
The essays I reckon that I can write well since they ask for experiences related to Business Analytics and my job is essentially doing Business Analytics. Thus, I have plenty of material.
Is it also the case for Master programmes to have 2/3 years of work experience? On the class profile pages the numbers written are 2 years, 15 months and 6 months for UCLA, MIT and Duke, respectively.
Let me know, thanks!

Best,
Ev
Admissionado
D
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School

Show Tags

New post 14 Dec 2019, 07:58
Hi Ev,

Picking up the baton here from my colleague! You're right that generally masters programs that are not MBAs require less work experience. That being said, having some work experience (perhaps a year or two) can help boost your competitiveness because it deepens your understanding of the field you want to study and sharpens your sense of what you want to do with your degree after graduation. The key question is why you want to pursue this type of master's -- how do you believe it will help you in your career? Would you ever consider pursuing a more academic path in the future, in which case practical work experience may be less relevant?

Overall, it sounds like you'll have some useful direct experience in this field to write about and to draw letters of recommendation from, which is great. Since your GMAT is slightly lower than ideal, you might want to think about retaking it one last time, or you can focus your energy on crafting top-notch essays that clearly articulate what you want to do with this master's degree in the future.

Hope that helps!

Best,

Doris

Profile Evaluation for Master Programme

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: Admissionado