GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Oct 2019, 06:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Profile Evaluation for MBA

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
Profile Evaluation for MBA  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2019, 01:42
Hi Admissionado,

I would appreciate if you could help me to evaluate my profile:

25 (27 by the time I apply)/F/Vietnamese
Sector/Position: Marketing Manager in Technology, Fintech (my weakness, I'm not from Banking & Finance or Consulting)
Education: 3.14/4.0 (or 7.8/10) in Economics & International Business from top-notch university in VN (It's low in comparison with GPA from other countries, but it's actually not that bad in my class because my program was kinda difficult. Moreover, I finished in 2.5 years instead of 4 years)
Targeted GMAT: 730
Experience:
a/ 1.5 years: Emerging Technologies
- Work in one of the biggest technology firm in South East Asia; launch a community for over 3,000 developers and sustain the community with technology magazine and tech events focusing in Big Data, Cloud, IoT
- Was transferred to Japan after 6 months and was promoted to lead digital marketing department; increase the number of customers through digital channels by 10 times; help revamp the CRM system to manage increase leads from online/offline channels (I've done some coding stuffs on my own!)

b/ 2 years: Fintech
- Join an unicorn startup in Asia (It had a peachy IPO on NYSE!) and lead marketing department, but my scope of work is large: I work with commercial banks, financial institutions (State Bank, MasterCard,...), Ministry of Trade, direct the product segmentation, help to build the anti money laundering protocol with banks, settle certain disputes in Commercial Laws, lead the Business Intelligence department and of course, do some coding stuffs (and many other tasks)
- I'm also the executive assistant for Country Director and consult to the BOD of strategy, market penetration and product pricing

My extracurricular activities and other experiences:
- Private tutor (free, or with a couple cups of coffee): I help many students to go study abroad, 1 get the highest scholarship of the Government of French for Grande Ecole; 1 is doing Master in France; many others got Diploma in French Language Study; at least 20 are now in Japan (and ironically enough, I'm still in Vietnam!)
- Stock investors: Research, calculate and invest. My stock value triples this year (I'm saving money for business school. My income isn't low but 100,000usd for B school is totally crazy!)

Languages:
French: Bilingual (French-patterned education/Secondary)
English: Improving
Japanese: Full professional

Recommendation: from my ex and current boss, 1 is alumni of Harvard Business School, 1 is on the Forbes list

Targeted schools: HEC, Oxbridge (I really really want to get there!)
(I acknowledge that given my profile, I have pretty high target. If I can't achieve that, I will probably probably eliminate the B school option. MBA is an expensive option, so high target is probably a good investment because the return is clear.)

Thank you and looking forward to your answer!
Admissionado
P
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Re: Profile Evaluation for MBA  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2019, 17:15
Hi there! Thanks for reaching out!

It's actually not a weakness to not be from banking, finance or consulting. In fact, it can often be more challenging to differentiate yourself when you're coming from one of those backgrounds because they're just more common among b-school apps. You can definitely use your marketing/fintech background to differentiate yourself (i.e., you will be able to make unique contributions in class discussions, etc). That said, in order to successfully differentiate yourself (and convince them that you are up for the rigors of b-school) it will be critical to show the impact you've had in those roles via some concrete examples of accomplishments along with quantifiable results.

As a Vietnamese female you are coming from a unique demographic as well, which is also a good thing when it comes to contributing to class mix. And it sounds like you've got some solid recommenders lined up, which is great as well. (Although honestly they care less about how "important" the recommender is & more about the examples he/she can provide that illustrate your strengths).

Your GPA is on the low end but the fact that you graduated in 2.5 years will make them a bit more likely to overlook that. A 730+ will help a lot in terms of compensating for the GPA & overcoming any concerns they may have.

Your extracurriculars are ok - not ones that will be likely to differentiate you (tutoring is fairly common and they won't care much about your investment activity to be honest) but it's good that you have something to speak to when it comes to extracurriculars. And you can speak with specifics about the ways you plan to be involved outside of the classroom while in b-school.

Finally, it will be critical to name some strong, specific post-MBA career goals, including what you hope to do in the ST & LT, WHY this is your passion, and the skill gaps you need to fill to get there.

All in all, you've got a lot of potential in your candidacy with some weaknesses but nothing that couldn't be overcome with a strong GMAT and some strong essays/LORs that show the meaningful impact you've already had in your career as well as the specific impact you plan to have post-MBA. Assuming you can lock those into place I think you have a shot at your target schools!

==

***NEW Admissionado Products & Services! ***

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Now, read up and get smart:

That'll get you started. Still have questions? Reach out, and let’s gab. 
Our only requirement is that you don’t prefer warm milk over cold milk. Everyone else, 100% welcome.

Email: claudia@admissionado.com
Young People: WhatsApp or WeChat (@JonFrankHBS)
Older: FacebookTwitterLinkedIn 
Oldest: 866-409-4753

Profile Evaluation for MBA

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: Admissionado