It is currently 20 Oct 2017, 21:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation from Fellow Aspirants

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 05 Jun 2012
Posts: 9

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Profile Evaluation from Fellow Aspirants [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2016, 00:21
Hi,

Would really appreciate if there is feedback for me while I aim for a top MBA program:

Work EX: 7 Years Total Experience into Banking IT Domain.
Currently working with Credit Suisse Singapore as full time IT Specialist for Electronic Trading. The role remains challenging on day to day basis as we deal with all latest Trading terms like "Algorithmic Trading, Low Latency/High Frequency Trading, Dark Pools etc.". A lot of interaction with Sales and Trading teams at both CS and clients side. But, at the end of day, role remains an IT role.
Previous Experience in India with BlackRock (2.5 years) and Wipro (1st Job, 2.5 years).

GMAT - Scheduled for 21 Sept, aiming at 700-710 as per current preparation.

Target Schools:
INSEAD , Oxford, LSB ,HKUST, and other 1 year top mba programs.

PROFILE:

Financial Services Business Analyst with 7 Years of Experience across the Electronic Trading Industry of Capital Markets, on
both Buy Side and Sell Side for Equities Trading. Interested in the continuously growing interdependence between Finance
and Information Technology, and the creation and use of electronic solutions for meeting complex business needs.

E X P E R I E N C E
CLIENT ONBOARDING SPECIALIST : Credit Suisse (Singapore) 2014 – present
Electronic Trading IT Specialist for Asian Equities for Bank’s Institutional brokerage business.
Working directly with external clients (Asset Managers/Hedge Funds/HFT Firms etc) & Traders
catering to their electronic trading needs in today’s capital markets.

SENIOR ANALYST : BlackRock (Gurgaon, India) 2012 – 2014
Part of Aladdin Technology Team – BlackRock’s coveted Asset & Risk Management platform.
Worked on Electronic trading setup for Exchange and market connectivity with major sell side
brokers and exchanges, Straight through Processing of trades.

PROJECT ENGINEER : Wipro Technologies (Bangalore, India) 2010 – 2012
Software Specialist for 2 major Financial clients, Experience in Software development, testing and
support for client’s critical trading applications.

E D U C A T I O N

BACHELOR OF TECHNOLOGY: Amity University (Noida, India) 2005 – 2009
 Majors in Computer Science & Engineering
 GPA 8.3/10
 Was awarded Admissions Scholarship

A C H I E V E M E N T S

COMMUNITY WORK:
 Head of BlackRock India’s CSR Group – BlackRock Gives. (2013-2014)
Was the youngest employee to ever lead the initiative. Responsible for overall BlackRock
India’s CSR Strategy and budget. Executed multiple projects with Non-profits and lead
employee engagement.
Volunteer work with Credit Suisse in Indonesia, Singapore. (2014- present)
 Founding Member of Wipro Care (Wipro’s CSR Initiative) Noida (2011-2012)
 Delhi Lead Coordinator for NGO Vibha (2012-2014)
 Volunteered with CRY-Child Rights & You, India’s largest NGO working for Child rights
issues, for 5 Years. Won the Long Service Volunteer Award on International Volunteer’s
Day in 2011.

SCHOLARSHIPS
 Amity Scholarship - awarded for high academic score during University admissions.
 Indian Oil Merit Scholarship- awarded to Top 2000 students in India for 10+ Studies.

EXTRA CURRICULAR
 Head of ‘SUN Club’at Amity University, Selected by Sun Microsystems Inc. for promoting
open source technologies in the University.
 Won 1st prizes in Web Designing, Best Project Display and PowerPoint Presentation
Competitions held by various institutions at Amity University.

S K I L L S

Client Onboarding/Management for Electronic Trading – End to End Flow for Equities, Business
Analysis and Requirement Gathering, Integration/Functional Testing, Trading Systems, Algorithmic
Trading, Dark Pools, Direct Market Access, Colocation, Smart Order Routing, Straight Through
Processing, Order Life cycle, FIX Protocol, Linux, SQL.
_________________

Regards,
Ankit

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Top Contributor
VP
VP
User avatar
S
Status: Top MBA Admissions Consultant
Joined: 24 Jul 2011
Posts: 1347

Kudos [?]: 642 [0], given: 20

GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: 1540 Q800 V740
Re: Profile Evaluation from Fellow Aspirants [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2016, 05:15
Top Contributor
ankitmittal2003 wrote:
Hi,

Would really appreciate if there is feedback for me while I aim for a top MBA program:

Work EX: 7 Years Total Experience into Banking IT Domain.
Currently working with Credit Suisse Singapore as full time IT Specialist for Electronic Trading. The role remains challenging on day to day basis as we deal with all latest Trading terms like "Algorithmic Trading, Low Latency/High Frequency Trading, Dark Pools etc.". A lot of interaction with Sales and Trading teams at both CS and clients side. But, at the end of day, role remains an IT role.
Previous Experience in India with BlackRock (2.5 years) and Wipro (1st Job, 2.5 years).

GMAT - Scheduled for 21 Sept, aiming at 700-710 as per current preparation.

Target Schools:
INSEAD , Oxford, LSB ,HKUST, and other 1 year top mba programs.

PROFILE:

Financial Services Business Analyst with 7 Years of Experience across the Electronic Trading Industry of Capital Markets, on
both Buy Side and Sell Side for Equities Trading. Interested in the continuously growing interdependence between Finance
and Information Technology, and the creation and use of electronic solutions for meeting complex business needs.

E X P E R I E N C E
CLIENT ONBOARDING SPECIALIST : Credit Suisse (Singapore) 2014 – present
Electronic Trading IT Specialist for Asian Equities for Bank’s Institutional brokerage business.
Working directly with external clients (Asset Managers/Hedge Funds/HFT Firms etc) & Traders
catering to their electronic trading needs in today’s capital markets.

SENIOR ANALYST : BlackRock (Gurgaon, India) 2012 – 2014
Part of Aladdin Technology Team – BlackRock’s coveted Asset & Risk Management platform.
Worked on Electronic trading setup for Exchange and market connectivity with major sell side
brokers and exchanges, Straight through Processing of trades.

PROJECT ENGINEER : Wipro Technologies (Bangalore, India) 2010 – 2012
Software Specialist for 2 major Financial clients, Experience in Software development, testing and
support for client’s critical trading applications.

E D U C A T I O N

BACHELOR OF TECHNOLOGY: Amity University (Noida, India) 2005 – 2009
 Majors in Computer Science & Engineering
 GPA 8.3/10
 Was awarded Admissions Scholarship

A C H I E V E M E N T S

COMMUNITY WORK:
 Head of BlackRock India’s CSR Group – BlackRock Gives. (2013-2014)
Was the youngest employee to ever lead the initiative. Responsible for overall BlackRock
India’s CSR Strategy and budget. Executed multiple projects with Non-profits and lead
employee engagement.
Volunteer work with Credit Suisse in Indonesia, Singapore. (2014- present)
 Founding Member of Wipro Care (Wipro’s CSR Initiative) Noida (2011-2012)
 Delhi Lead Coordinator for NGO Vibha (2012-2014)
 Volunteered with CRY-Child Rights & You, India’s largest NGO working for Child rights
issues, for 5 Years. Won the Long Service Volunteer Award on International Volunteer’s
Day in 2011.

SCHOLARSHIPS
 Amity Scholarship - awarded for high academic score during University admissions.
 Indian Oil Merit Scholarship- awarded to Top 2000 students in India for 10+ Studies.

EXTRA CURRICULAR
 Head of ‘SUN Club’at Amity University, Selected by Sun Microsystems Inc. for promoting
open source technologies in the University.
 Won 1st prizes in Web Designing, Best Project Display and PowerPoint Presentation
Competitions held by various institutions at Amity University.

S K I L L S

Client Onboarding/Management for Electronic Trading – End to End Flow for Equities, Business
Analysis and Requirement Gathering, Integration/Functional Testing, Trading Systems, Algorithmic
Trading, Dark Pools, Direct Market Access, Colocation, Smart Order Routing, Straight Through
Processing, Order Life cycle, FIX Protocol, Linux, SQL.


Hi Ankit

- Your international experience with CS and your earlier stint in India with BlackRock definitely help you stand out. Yes, you are from the IT function, but then you have also gained deep insight into industry processes and into contemporary areas such as Algorithmic Trading. These will help you stand apart from the crowd.
- You will have excellent opportunities that await you in FinTech, but the need for an MBA here will need to be made absolutely clear. You might also consider moving to the business side of things given your skills.
- While your undergrad institution will not have very strong brand recognition, your outstanding academic performance would help more than make up
- A GMAT score of 700+ will be very important for the schools you are looking at, and it's great that this is your target as well. Do note however that slipping below 700 could put some of these schools (such as INSEAD) out of contention.
- ECA is quite strong and will certainly be a big plus for you
- You might like to expand the list to also include NUS, though that is not a 1-year program.


Hope this helps. Feel free to come back with more queries as needed.
_________________

GyanOne | Top MBA Rankings and MBA Admissions Blog

Top MBA Admissions Consulting | Top MiM Admissions Consulting

Premium MBA Essay Review|Best MBA Interview Preparation|Exclusive GMAT coaching

Get a FREE Detailed MBA Profile Evaluation | Call us now +91 98998 31738

Kudos [?]: 642 [0], given: 20

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 05 Jun 2012
Posts: 9

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Profile Evaluation from Fellow Aspirants [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2016, 06:17
Hi GyanOne,

I am motivated after reading this response from you. Actually, most admission consultants fail to understand the nature of work I am currently doing and put it into "a typical IT role".

Infact, when you say that why don't you try to move on the business side , I actually aiming at a sales/business role in Electronic Trading with an Investment bank or a Fintech like Bloomberg etc, but instead of looking at other alternatives, I chose the path of MBA.

From what I currently understand being a part of big bank, it is not easy for an IT guy to move into a Front office role without proper networking and skills. Most of the people who are in Front office are from big universities or CFA, which kind a deters me even talking about that with my IT managers.

I actually did consider NUS and SMU for MBA, but after checking with their AdCom, they both advised me to go for Part time MBA - as I am already earning more than their MBA's average salary and it would be advisable to continue working in a perm role in Singapore especially for a foreigner (As Singapore Govt. has/is tightening Work visas).

I am writing my GMAT next month - and still not sure where I should be applying post that.

I really want to study in a top management institute.

May be I write GMAT and wait for myself to be eligible for an Executive MBA (10 years work-ex) - but they remain much more expensive.

It would be great to know your view on my situation.

Thanks,
Ankit
_________________

Regards,
Ankit

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Top Contributor
VP
VP
User avatar
S
Status: Top MBA Admissions Consultant
Joined: 24 Jul 2011
Posts: 1347

Kudos [?]: 642 [0], given: 20

GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: 1540 Q800 V740
Re: Profile Evaluation from Fellow Aspirants [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2016, 06:45
Top Contributor
ankitmittal2003 wrote:
Hi GyanOne,

I am motivated after reading this response from you. Actually, most admission consultants fail to understand the nature of work I am currently doing and put it into "a typical IT role".

Infact, when you say that why don't you try to move on the business side , I actually aiming at a sales/business role in Electronic Trading with an Investment bank or a Fintech like Bloomberg etc, but instead of looking at other alternatives, I chose the path of MBA.

From what I currently understand being a part of big bank, it is not easy for an IT guy to move into a Front office role without proper networking and skills. Most of the people who are in Front office are from big universities or CFA, which kind a deters me even talking about that with my IT managers.

I actually did consider NUS and SMU for MBA, but after checking with their AdCom, they both advised me to go for Part time MBA - as I am already earning more than their MBA's average salary and it would be advisable to continue working in a perm role in Singapore especially for a foreigner (As Singapore Govt. has/is tightening Work visas).

I am writing my GMAT next month - and still not sure where I should be applying post that.

I really want to study in a top management institute.

May be I write GMAT and wait for myself to be eligible for an Executive MBA (10 years work-ex) - but they remain much more expensive.

It would be great to know your view on my situation.

Thanks,
Ankit


Hi Ankit

Good to see your response.

- We agree that moving to a front-end investments role will be tough, but you could certainly look at moving to FinTech leadership roles, either within your current or a similar firm, or outside, in FinTech specialist firms too (some of they may be startups). As you know, the sector is growing fast and such a leadership role could provide strong growth.
- We would not really advise going for a part-time MBA, unless your aim is to primarily grow within the organization. Part-time MBA programs are also not as strong on emerging areas that would be relevant to FinTech. We understand and agree with your need to continue in Singapore though - it is one of the best locations for FinTech (and for a career in investments in general as well). If the visa situation so dictates, a part-time MBA may need to be considered, but that is for later. As of now, see if you can make a full-time option work out.
- As of now, focus on the GMAT and try to go as far above 700 as possible and then target some top schools for full-time MBA programs. If you can make INSEAD Singapore work out, nothing like it. If not, the remaining options will need to be weighed wrt the visa situation and possibilities of admits.
_________________

GyanOne | Top MBA Rankings and MBA Admissions Blog

Top MBA Admissions Consulting | Top MiM Admissions Consulting

Premium MBA Essay Review|Best MBA Interview Preparation|Exclusive GMAT coaching

Get a FREE Detailed MBA Profile Evaluation | Call us now +91 98998 31738

Kudos [?]: 642 [0], given: 20

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 05 Jun 2012
Posts: 9

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Profile Evaluation from Fellow Aspirants [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2016, 07:20
Hello,

On the INSEAD, I have been told by many that you should not look at INSEAD below 750 in GMAT unless you have a very unconventional story to tell. How true is that?

Or you are being too generous for me on the GMAT score? :)

Thanks again!

Regards,
Ankit
_________________

Regards,
Ankit

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Top Contributor
VP
VP
User avatar
S
Status: Top MBA Admissions Consultant
Joined: 24 Jul 2011
Posts: 1347

Kudos [?]: 642 [0], given: 20

GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: 1540 Q800 V740
Re: Profile Evaluation from Fellow Aspirants [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2016, 07:32
Top Contributor
ankitmittal2003 wrote:
Hello,

On the INSEAD, I have been told by many that you should not look at INSEAD below 750 in GMAT unless you have a very unconventional story to tell. How true is that?

Or you are being too generous for me on the GMAT score? :)

Thanks again!

Regards,
Ankit


Not true at all Ankit. Plenty of people make it to INSEAD with scores well below 750, and not necessarily unconventional stories. Yes, you need to build a strong app, but that does not mean it needs to only be unconventional. By way of profile, you should be decently placed - the GMAT is the next step.
_________________

GyanOne | Top MBA Rankings and MBA Admissions Blog

Top MBA Admissions Consulting | Top MiM Admissions Consulting

Premium MBA Essay Review|Best MBA Interview Preparation|Exclusive GMAT coaching

Get a FREE Detailed MBA Profile Evaluation | Call us now +91 98998 31738

Kudos [?]: 642 [0], given: 20

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 05 Jun 2012
Posts: 9

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Profile Evaluation from Fellow Aspirants [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2016, 21:26
Hi GyanOne,

Thank you!

I would like to be in touch with you for my application process once I am done with my GMAT.
_________________

Regards,
Ankit

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Top Contributor
VP
VP
User avatar
S
Status: Top MBA Admissions Consultant
Joined: 24 Jul 2011
Posts: 1347

Kudos [?]: 642 [0], given: 20

GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: 1540 Q800 V740
Re: Profile Evaluation from Fellow Aspirants [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2016, 21:23
Top Contributor
ankitmittal2003 wrote:
Hi GyanOne,

Thank you!

I would like to be in touch with you for my application process once I am done with my GMAT.


Certainly Ankit.
_________________

GyanOne | Top MBA Rankings and MBA Admissions Blog

Top MBA Admissions Consulting | Top MiM Admissions Consulting

Premium MBA Essay Review|Best MBA Interview Preparation|Exclusive GMAT coaching

Get a FREE Detailed MBA Profile Evaluation | Call us now +91 98998 31738

Kudos [?]: 642 [0], given: 20

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 05 Jun 2012
Posts: 9

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Profile Evaluation from Fellow Aspirants [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2016, 06:34
GyanOne wrote:
ankitmittal2003 wrote:
Hi GyanOne,

Thank you!

I would like to be in touch with you for my application process once I am done with my GMAT.


Certainly Ankit.


Hi GyanOne,

I would like to know about your Admission Consulting packages. I have a GMAT of 650 and want to apply with this score.

Please let me know how I can contact you for next steps.

Thanks.
_________________

Regards,
Ankit

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation from Fellow Aspirants   [#permalink] 24 Nov 2016, 06:34
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Profile Evaluation from Fellow Aspirants

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: OasisGC



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.