Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 01:33 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 01:33

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 230 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Re: Profile Evaluation: GMAT 720 need to retake? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi there!
No, I don't think you need to retake. 720 is strong and above average for UCLA, Cornell and part-time programs. It's just above average at MIT too, though the range is higher there with 80% between 660-760, so your score is still competitive there, but just keep that in mind that MIT is the most competitive school you've got on your list. So if you wanted to improve your chances there and you felt like you could score higher, you could give it another shot, but I don't see a strong need to.

You also have a very high GPA so that will help to prove your academic credentials.

Now, I don't have your full GMAT breakdown -- did you score much lower on quant vs. verbal or something? If so, that could be a reason to retake.

Best,
Kate

GRSunshine wrote:
More background: East Asian, female, 30
Worked in a major oil company for 4 yrs, ranked as top tier performer consecutively; was promoted and selected to fill in a relatively senior role

Undergrad in home country, GPA 90/100, ranked #1 in department; majoring in pharmaceutical tech in a top 20 school
Grad school in US: 2 yrs in Chen Ph.D. Program at first, GPA3.8, published 2 papers as 2nd author; transferred to a top engineering program later due to interest change, GPA 4.0; published 2 papers as 1st author
Extracurricular: served as vice chair for 1 year in a diversity network in company; used to raise funding for poor people with AIDS back in home country; volunteered for multiple events in US, but nothing major

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Kate,
Thank you so much for your evaluation! My GMAT breakdowns are: Q51/V36/IR8 (97%/81%/92%), and I don't know my AWA score yet.
Also, I decide to apply following schools:
Part time: UCLA and UC Berkley
Full time: MIT, Columbia U, Cornell, U of Chicago
I am hoping to use par time MBA as backup, and full time MBA as reach. Will 20-30 points improvement make a difference? Do you think this is a reasonmy list for my situation? Thank you so much for your patience!

Own Kudos [?]: 230 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Expert Reply
Thanks for the full breakdown -- well there's not anything you can do to improve your Quant :) but if you think you could squeeze out 20-30 more points by increasing Verbal, that could help at Columbia, MIT and Chicago. Not necessary, but if you feel like giving it another shot and have time, go for it.

Yes, I do think your list is reasonable (those the three schools I mentioned above will be tough)....but I like the idea of using part-time programs as a backup.

Good luck!
Kate

GRSunshine wrote:
Hi Kate,
Thank you so much for your evaluation! My GMAT breakdowns are: Q51/V36/IR8 (97%/81%/92%), and I don't know my AWA score yet.
Also, I decide to apply following schools:
Part time: UCLA and UC Berkley
Full time: MIT, Columbia U, Cornell, U of Chicago
I am hoping to use par time MBA as backup, and full time MBA as reach. Will 20-30 points improvement make a difference? Do you think this is a reasonmy list for my situation? Thank you so much for your patience!

Moderator:
1452 posts