It is currently 18 Feb 2018, 10:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation. Got to Re-strategize after Vanderbilt Reject !

new topic post reply Update application status  
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B
Profile Evaluation. Got to Re-strategize after Vanderbilt Reject ! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Oct 2016, 13:20
This post received
KUDOS
I am an international student in my final year majoring in Computer science. Studying in a well-reputed university in my country.

GPA : 8.76/10 GRE : 327 Toefl : 116

2 finance related internships at Reliance Capital(Largest MF in the country) & IDFC AMC(~10b$ AUM)

Finance Market professional certificate from the National Stock Exchange

Finance, Accounting Corp Finance courses on coursera

Extra Curricular :
1) Created an application that was adopted by the civic body(largest in Asia) received media coverage in top newspapers and tv interviews for the same.

2)run a youtube channel to teach mathematical and computer science concepts(~500k views)

3) Represented University as head delegate for Harvard World MUN ( Belgium)

4)Vice chair person of a student organisation. Raised INR150k+ money for the organisation through sponsorship. During my tenure organisation won the best student chapter award.

Universities I applied to
1)Vanderbilt MSF [REJECTED
2)WashU in St Louis - MSF - Quantitative trackApplied. Waiting for updates
3) Rochester MSF - Called for interview on 4th nov

4)MIT MFIN
5)Columbia MSOR
6)Boston University MSMF
7)NYU Poly MFE
8)GaTech Computational Finance

8)UMich MMS
9)Duke MMS

Where do you honestly feel I would be admitted. I guess not having work exp or cfa credentials killed my chances at VB. So i am stilll in a little shock. Was hoping ot be atleast interviewed for the same. What are your thoughts? Do you havee any other programs in mind I should seek out?
Intern
Intern
Re: Profile Evaluation. Got to Re-strategize after Vanderbilt Reject ! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2016, 23:55
Couldn't help notice your "Reject from Vanderbilt post" and it's surprising because I too got rejected with roughly the same profile (Good GMAT, decent extra curriculars)
I asked my counselor and he thinks it's the lack of work exp that contributed the most to the reject.
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V37
Re: Profile Evaluation. Got to Re-strategize after Vanderbilt Reject ! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2018, 05:04
your_avg_joe wrote:
I am an international student in my final year majoring in Computer science. Studying in a well-reputed university in my country.

GPA : 8.76/10 GRE : 327 Toefl : 116

2 finance related internships at Reliance Capital(Largest MF in the country) & IDFC AMC(~10b$ AUM)

Finance Market professional certificate from the National Stock Exchange

Finance, Accounting Corp Finance courses on coursera

Extra Curricular :
1) Created an application that was adopted by the civic body(largest in Asia) received media coverage in top newspapers and tv interviews for the same.

2)run a youtube channel to teach mathematical and computer science concepts(~500k views)

3) Represented University as head delegate for Harvard World MUN ( Belgium)

4)Vice chair person of a student organisation. Raised INR150k+ money for the organisation through sponsorship. During my tenure organisation won the best student chapter award.

Universities I applied to
1)Vanderbilt MSF [REJECTED
2)WashU in St Louis - MSF - Quantitative trackApplied. Waiting for updates
3) Rochester MSF - Called for interview on 4th nov

4)MIT MFIN
5)Columbia MSOR
6)Boston University MSMF
7)NYU Poly MFE
8)GaTech Computational Finance

8)UMich MMS
9)Duke MMS

Where do you honestly feel I would be admitted. I guess not having work exp or cfa credentials killed my chances at VB. So i am stilll in a little shock. Was hoping ot be atleast interviewed for the same. What are your thoughts? Do you havee any other programs in mind I should seek out?

Hey mate,
I am an international student applying to Vanderbilt too with admittedly much worse stats than you. I'm hoping to retake the gmat and work on my sentence correction skills and get a 740 at least. I think it unlikely Vanderbilt rejected you solely due to your lack of work experience and international status. You are obviously an excellent candidate but I have some doubts that your international designation was the majority of your downfall. Maybe it's your highly quantitative background not fitting with the corporate finance aspect? Or perhaps it really is the higher bar for international students. Maybe I wouldn't like that might be the case. In hindsight, do you think you made some errors in your application process or fumbled the interview? It's quite shocking that someone with awesome stats like you would be rejected.
Re: Profile Evaluation. Got to Re-strategize after Vanderbilt Reject !   [#permalink] 29 Jan 2018, 05:04

Profile Evaluation. Got to Re-strategize after Vanderbilt Reject !

new topic post reply Update application status  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap