GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Oct 2019, 13:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Profile evaluation High GMAT low GPA

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
Profile evaluation High GMAT low GPA  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Jan 2019, 07:36
Hi everyone!
This is my first post on this forum, forgive me if I have violated any rules of this platform.
I'm interested in pursuing an MSc in Finance from high ranking EU universities.
My profile:
Undergrad- 7/10 GPA - First Division (#1 B School in India)
GMAT - 740, Q50 V40, IR8, AWA awaited.
No Finance related or international work experience

Additionals:
A. 1 year part-time/contractual work experience at Ministry of Commerce, handling multiple non-finance projects related to national government schemes across several other ministries. (During the final year of my undergrad studies)**
B. Volunteer work at an NGO for around a year.

**PS: The 1-year work exp did not cause the low GPA, my grades in the final year significantly improved.

Do I stand a chance to be accepted by the top universities: HEC, HSG, IE, ESADE, BOCCONI, ESSEC, etc. ?

All suggestions/inputs are welcome and appreciated.
(Thank you for taking the time to read this.)
Intern
Intern
B
Re: Profile evaluation High GMAT low GPA  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Jan 2019, 09:14
No Chance: St Gallen MBF, HEC

Chance: Bocconi

Should Be in: ESSEC

Safe In: Esade, IE
Whish you all the best

Sent from my SM-G950F using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 31 Jan 2019, 18:56
First Division. Should be fine

Posted from my mobile device
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
V
Concentration: Finance
Profile evaluation High GMAT low GPA  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Feb 2019, 07:58
satvik1997 wrote:
Hi everyone!
This is my first post on this forum, forgive me if I have violated any rules of this platform.
My profile:

Additionals:
A. 1 year part-time/contractual work experience at Ministry of Commerce, handling multiple non-finance projects related to national government schemes across several other ministries. (During the final year of my undergrad studies)**

**PS: The 1-year work exp did not cause the low GPA, my grades in the final year significantly improved.

Do I stand a chance to be accepted by the top universities: HEC, HSG, IE, ESADE, BOCCONI, ESSEC, etc. ?

Hello satvik1997

I disagree with previous comments.

You do have fair chance at all universities mentioned in your question.

You scored significantly higher on GMAT compared to average of admitted students of all schools on your list :clap:

For instance, University of St.Gallen requires minimum of GMAT 680, HEC has median GMAT score of 710, but doesn't have minimum cut off,, IE requires minimum of 650, ESADE average GMAT 670, BOCCONI/ESSEC do not specify target score, which is a good thing from competitiveness point of view.

So, you get a picture.

Having prior working experience in Finance is not a condition usually, except when program is designated as post experience.

Vast majority of MS in Finance programs are pre-experience, academic degrees.

Fact that grades in your final year actually significantly improved along with working experience is excellent sign of dedication and seriousness, be sure to mention that in personal essay.

Good Luck :geek: :cool:
B
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40

Show Tags

New post 01 Feb 2019, 10:02
billionaire wrote:
satvik1997 wrote:
Hi everyone!
My profile:

Additionals:

Hello satvik1997

I disagree with previous comments.

You do have fair chance at all universities mentioned in your question.

You scored significantly higher on GMAT compared to average of admitted students of all schools on your list :clap:

*I am going to update you with some facts later regarding that in this very same post, and elaborate a little bit more so stay tuned, but answer to your question will stay the same.

Thank you for responding! I look forward to that :)
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 01 Feb 2019, 10:15
satvik1997 wrote:
Hi everyone!
My profile:

Additionals:

Hey you really have a good chance for the above universities. However I would suggest you to do some online courses based on finance, you can also try to write a research paper on finance. These things will improve your profile. For universities you can also look at LBS. They have a very good program on Masters in Finance.

All the best for your admissions :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate

Show Tags

New post 02 Feb 2019, 13:17
You have a chance since you wanna pursue MSc.Finance (most doesn’t even require work experience) and a Q50 shows a proficiency in your Quant with an excellent verbal skills give it a shot ,And all the best
satvik1997 wrote:
Hi everyone!
My profile:

Additionals:

Posted from my mobile device
MiM-Essay Representative
G
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 11 Mar 2019, 00:04
Hey there,

You have graduated from a good school as you mentioned which be a positive thing on your application and highlighted in your application.

Working in a social organization can give you an edge, make sure you highlight the leadership experience gained here, it can be of interest to the schools. It showcases your social commitment and responsibility through your work at the NGO.

As for your profile, your GMAT score is definitely a plus point for your profile and would help you to outrun most of the competitive profiles in the first initial overview itself.

Another good thing about your application is your work experience in the Ministry department thought it would be on a better side if it was related to finance work.

Your strength is in your GMAT score, work ex. and your weakness is in your academic scores. It won’t be a big hindrance but Having said that, keep in mind that the application form required from your targeted schools such as (HEC and ESADE) is pretty comprehensive and you’ll need to spend enough time on the application.

Make sure to ace every part of the application (essays, GMAT, LOR, resume) and highlight your strengths, so you can assure to have a good chance at your target schools.

Hope this helps.

To get a better idea of your profile you can check out this profile evaluation link below to know about your chances at your target schools: http://info.mim-essay.com/forums-pe

MSc. in Management(MiM) Admission Consultants

92% Success Rate| 1200+ Admits in Top Schools| 1.8 Million Euros in Scholarships

Want to 2X your chances of selection? Book a consulting call here: http://info.mim-essay.com/book-a-call-today
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Profile evaluation High GMAT low GPA   [#permalink] 11 Mar 2019, 00:04

Profile evaluation High GMAT low GPA

new topic post reply Update application status