Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 01:50 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 01:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Yale and Darden Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 65 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 670 Q50 V30
GMAT 2: 670 Q51 V28
GMAT 3: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.6
WE:Corporate Finance (Hospitality and Tourism)
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 615 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
Send PM
Admission Consultant
Affiliations: TheIvyLeagueEdge
Own Kudos [?]: 150 [0]
Given Kudos: 153
TheIvyLeagueEdge: Bala
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: Yale (A)
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE:Operations (Other)
Send PM
Re: Profile Evaluation - Hospitality Industry [#permalink]
MBAGuide wrote:

Hi PeachSnapple1 hope you are doing great

Your profile is truly a breath of fresh air with a very balanced growth progression, global exposure, rich extracurriculars, as well as a GMAT score of 740. Kudos on the solid score!

I would like to advise you regarding your approach to your goals. As you come from a unique background, business schools will give a lot of weight to your research and understanding of the post-MBA opportunities that align well with your interests and heavily leverage your rich experience in hospitality across customer service, operations, sales, branding, and marketing. While it is easy to say that you would like to transition to consulting, you must provide a more vivid description of the kind of consulting projects you would like to work on.

The opportunities are endless, but you should try to be somewhat specific in your addressal to the adcoms. For example, you may want to work on market research to identify trends, customer preferences, and competitive analysis for hospitality businesses looking to expand or improve their services. Alternatively, you could work in hospitality advising hotels, resorts, and restaurants on optimizing their operations, streamlining processes, and enhancing overall efficiency to provide better guest experiences, or developing pricing strategies and revenue management tactics for hotels and other hospitality establishments to maximize revenue and occupancy rates. It could also be that you entirely move out of hospitality to an industry that would still very much value your skills, such as FMCG/CPG and D2C food or lifestyle brands, tourism, or mobility (think of the world's leading food guide company).

A better approach (IMO) would be to consider what you would like to do in the long term, say 10-15 years from now, and why. What motivates you? Where does your passion lie? Then break down your journey toward your long-term goals into possible alternative career paths (a Plan A and a Plan B) that would help you pick the right set of skills. For example, your Plan A could be consulting, and Plan B could be a more industry-focused general management role.

Hope the above ideas will also help you identify the business schools that fit well with your aspirations.

Best wishes

Aanchal Sahni (INSEAD MBA alum, ex MBA admissions interviewer)
MBAGuideConsulting
LinkedIn |WEBSITE: https://mbaguideconsulting.com/ | Message: +91 9971200927| email- mbaguideconsulting@gmail.com

You are definitely correct in that I should spend more time to do a journey of soul-searching before applying. Franky, I am overwhelmed with the applying process; however, after some intense time of doing researching, I think I start to get the hang of it. Some of your input, especially where my passion lies, surely steer me into the right direction. I will definitely keep your thoughts close when I proceed with the applying process. I know it will be a challenging path; but advice like yours sure does give me some more breathing room in this process. I really appreciate it!
TheIvyLeagueEdge wrote:

Hi PeachSnapple1,
a) You are at a sweet spot given your WE
b) Your GMAT score, Career trajectory and evolution, Industry, ethnicity and exposure make you very attractive to the schools for your diversity
c) Currently your goals are ill-defined; you should be able to visualise your goals to the last detail, but also think of a long term path wherein the MBA as a tool can help

Remember your Resume, Career Goals and your LORs are the most important parts of your profile that you can still change, and clarity, consistency and alignment in these is not only critical to your admission to a good school, but may also get you high scholarships as well.

Dear Bala, I greatly appreciate your input. I concur with you on the state of my goals; frankly, I think I should spend some more time to self-reflect to really get the sense of what my story will be. Thanks for showing me my weakness - nothing beats a constructive criticism.
Admission Consultant
Affiliations: TheIvyLeagueEdge
Own Kudos [?]: 150 [0]
Given Kudos: 153
TheIvyLeagueEdge: Bala
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: Yale (A)
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE:Operations (Other)
Send PM
PeachSnapple1 wrote:
TheIvyLeagueEdge wrote:

Hi PeachSnapple1,
a) You are at a sweet spot given your WE
b) Your GMAT score, Career trajectory and evolution, Industry, ethnicity and exposure make you very attractive to the schools for your diversity
c) Currently your goals are ill-defined; you should be able to visualise your goals to the last detail, but also think of a long term path wherein the MBA as a tool can help

Remember your Resume, Career Goals and your LORs are the most important parts of your profile that you can still change, and clarity, consistency and alignment in these is not only critical to your admission to a good school, but may also get you high scholarships as well.

Dear Bala, I greatly appreciate your input. I concur with you on the state of my goals; frankly, I think I should spend some more time to self-reflect to really get the sense of what my story will be. Thanks for showing me my weakness - nothing beats a constructive criticism.

Thank you for your prompt response and appreciation.
My personal experience with candidates forming goals: Not only is the process long, and iterative, often another pair of (experienced) eyes can help you make a logical connection between domains that you may not even see. Often time is one of the most valuable resources for a good manager. I would strongly suggest work with a good mentor and plan to submit your application early; You would still have all the time in the world to choose between schools (or even choose between going and not going :-p )
GMAT Club Bot