GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 12 Dec 2018, 20:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation: Low GPA, High GMAT, Extenuating Circumstances

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
Profile Evaluation: Low GPA, High GMAT, Extenuating Circumstances  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Sep 2018, 21:10
Did fairly poor in undergrad. While in college, was a caretaker to an ailing single parent battling cancer who unfortunately did end up passing away. The death of my parent really did impact me emotionally and physically and as a result my grades suffered.

Nationality
African American (Black)

Academic
B.A. in Humanities Top 25 Liberal Arts College
Cumulative GPA - 2.7

GMAT

Work Experience
Summer Marketing Intern at well-known consumer media company (think Disney, HBO, Spotify)
Associate Product Manager at high-growth, stealth start-up (think ZocDoc, Lyft, Airbnb) for 1.5 years
Associate Product Marketing Manager at top consumer tech company (think Google or Facebook) for 2.0 years (at time of matriculation)

Extracurriculars
Very involved in diversity and inclusion initiatives across all experiences. Leadership roles also abundant.

Target Schools
HBS
Stanford GSB
Dartmouth Tuck
Northwestern
Columbia
UCLA

Chances and thoughts?
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
G
Reviews Badge
Re: Profile Evaluation: Low GPA, High GMAT, Extenuating Circumstances  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2018, 09:47
Hi FusciaCricket,
Overall your profile is strong. Excellent GMAT, progression in your roles, exposure to a top company and a high-growth startup, strong leadership. Everything looks great. Except GPA which you know of course, but those circumstances do matter, and I'm very sorry to hear about that. You should write about those circumstances in an optional essay. I think that will help mitigate a lot of the concern, as does your GMAT. If you have extra time, I would take a supplemental course before you apply too, and get an A, ideally in a quant-related subject.

Of course you can't erase the GPA, so it could become a bigger issue at a school like HBS or GSB, but I think I'd still give them a shot and like the mix of schools on your list. Have you considered applying through The Consortium? Would fit well with your community leadership.

Best of luck!
Kate

FusciaCricket wrote:
Did fairly poor in undergrad. While in college, was a caretaker to an ailing single parent battling cancer who unfortunately did end up passing away. The death of my parent really did impact me emotionally and physically and as a result my grades suffered.

Nationality
African American (Black)

Academic
B.A. in Humanities Top 25 Liberal Arts College
Cumulative GPA - 2.7

GMAT

Work Experience
Summer Marketing Intern at well-known consumer media company (think Disney, HBO, Spotify)
Associate Product Manager at high-growth, stealth start-up (think ZocDoc, Lyft, Airbnb) for 1.5 years
Associate Product Marketing Manager at top consumer tech company (think Google or Facebook) for 2.0 years (at time of matriculation)

Extracurriculars
Very involved in diversity and inclusion initiatives across all experiences. Leadership roles also abundant.

Target Schools
HBS
Stanford GSB
Dartmouth Tuck
Northwestern
Columbia
UCLA

Chances and thoughts?

Kate Richardson
mbaMission Senior Consultant and Chicago Booth Alum
http://www.mbamission.com
Read our school insider's guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders

Profile Evaluation: Low GPA, High GMAT, Extenuating Circumstances

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: mbaMissionKate

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap