GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Aug 2018, 14:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Profile Evaluation:Low GPA & R3

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.7
Profile Evaluation:Low GPA & R3  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2017, 09:14
Would appreciate if you can provide suggestion on my case.

I am a 27 yr old Chinese Female.
GMAT 710(Q50 V35 IR7)

Here are some details about my profile.

Full time work experience:

2 years marketing experience in a healthcare MNC(Fortune 500);
3 years digital marketing & digital media operation experience in a start-up team of a Top digital healthcare company in China;
- Founder & Chief Editor of a digital media on nutrition and well-being,800k+followers, awarded the best nutrition We-media in China;
- Plan digital marketing campaigns to both HCP and patients, mainly on healthcare and public health industry,with Top Tier healthcare MNCs and NGO partners(was promoted to Senior Consultant).

Academics:

Undergraduate:
- Bachelor degree in China,major in Bioscience;GPA 87% (Top 2%)

Postgraduate:
- Master degree in UK(Top 10 UK University),major in Nutrition and Public Health with a horrible GPA:so many C and a little B,even got D at first Mark.
(A-Distinction;B-Merit;C-Pass;D-fail)

Maybe the reason to Low GPA was that I was not adapting to the study and life in UK at a relative young age(19). Unfortunately, I can’t mention this reason in my application as I am thinking about US&EU MBA programs.

Extra-Curricular:

- Chief Organizer of a fund raising activity for orphans,got first prize of Activity Competition at university level
- Volunteer in Oxfam Charity Organization in UK
- Volunteer for blind school and NGOs in China
- National Public Nutritionist(Senior)
- Accomplished several Coursera courses

I know my postgraduate GPA is horrible and will be harmful to my application, but I am quite interested in technology & innovation,my Dream schools are:

- UC Berkeley Haas
(not sure to apply for R2 2018 Aug Intake, or R3 after retaking GMAT,as the average GMAT in Haas is 725. But R3 is quite risky especially for international applicants.)
- INSEAD
(plan to apply for R1 2019 Jan Intake, as I prefer a summer intern)

I am also considering:
- CEIBS(plan to apply for R2 2018 Aug Intake)
- HKUST(plan to apply for R2 2018 Aug Intake)

I am also thinking about retaking GMAT in Feb 2018,trying to get a better score to offset the low postgraduate GPA, for the INSEAD & Haas application. (would it help?)

Would appreciate any advice about school selection and application strategy, thank you!
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
G
Reviews Badge
Re: Profile Evaluation:Low GPA & R3  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2017, 20:13
Hi TingF,
Thanks for reaching out.

I see several strengths in your profile especially your work experience and experience studying abroad. I like the nutrition-focused niche within healthcare, that's interesting. Your GMAT is strong too (especially the quant!) but could still make it challenging at Haas and INSEAD. Especially in combination with the low GPA (you should write an optional essay on that, and I think it's OK to talk about how you've grown / matured since then).

Yes, a higher GMAT would help, but I'm not sure it's worth the risk of waiting til R3. That round is really tough, especially for international applicants. At that point, you may as well just take the time to improve your GMAT and wait til R1 next year.

Best of luck!
Kate

TingF wrote:

GMAT 710(Q50 V35 IR7)

3 years digital marketing & digital media operation experience in a start-up team of a Top digital healthcare company in China;
- Founder & Chief Editor of a digital media on nutrition and well-being,800k+followers, awarded the best nutrition We-media in China;
- Plan digital marketing campaigns to both HCP and patients, mainly on healthcare and public health industry,with Top Tier healthcare MNCs and NGO partners(was promoted to Senior Consultant).

Academics:

Undergraduate:

Postgraduate:
- Master degree in UK(Top 10 UK University),major in Nutrition and Public Health with a horrible GPA:so many C and a little B,even got D at first Mark.

Maybe the reason to Low GPA was that I was not adapting to the study and life in UK at a relative young age(19). Unfortunately, I can’t mention this reason in my application as I am thinking about US&EU MBA programs.

Extra-Curricular:

- Chief Organizer of a fund raising activity for orphans,got first prize of Activity Competition at university level

I know my postgraduate GPA is horrible and will be harmful to my application, but I am quite interested in technology & innovation,my Dream schools are:

- UC Berkeley Haas
(not sure to apply for R2 2018 Aug Intake, or R3 after retaking GMAT,as the average GMAT in Haas is 725. But R3 is quite risky especially for international applicants.)
- INSEAD

I am also considering:

I am also thinking about retaking GMAT in Feb 2018,trying to get a better score to offset the low postgraduate GPA, for the INSEAD & Haas application. (would it help?)

Would appreciate any advice about school selection and application strategy, thank you!

Kate Richardson
mbaMission Senior Consultant and Chicago Booth Alum
http://www.mbamission.com
Read our school insider's guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2017, 06:34
Hi Kate,

Thank your very much for your advice, it is really helpful.

May I ask two more questions?

1. If I decide to apply in R2 this year, would you please suggest any "realistic“ or"safe“ US schools as Haas and INSEAD may be challenging?
2. Thank you for your advice about the optional essay, but I am quite confused whether I could say "not adapting in UK”(it is quite awful for international applicants),and how can I certify I have matured?

Thanks again!

mbaMissionKate wrote:
Hi TingF,
Thanks for reaching out.

I see several strengths in your profile especially your work experience and experience studying abroad. I like the nutrition-focused niche within healthcare, that's interesting. Your GMAT is strong too (especially the quant!) but could still make it challenging at Haas and INSEAD. Especially in combination with the low GPA (you should write an optional essay on that, and I think it's OK to talk about how you've grown / matured since then).

Yes, a higher GMAT would help, but I'm not sure it's worth the risk of waiting til R3. That round is really tough, especially for international applicants. At that point, you may as well just take the time to improve your GMAT and wait til R1 next year.

Best of luck!
Kate

TingF wrote:

GMAT 710(Q50 V35 IR7)

Academics:

Undergraduate:

Postgraduate:

Extra-Curricular:

- UC Berkeley Haas
- INSEAD

I am also considering:

G
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2017, 19:29
Hi again,
I think the two other schools you listed (CEIBS and HKUST) would be more realistic.

On the Optional Essay, I think it depends on the circumstances, so I'd need to know more in order to advise on that. Schools understand that setbacks and challenges happen, and they like to see how you matured and improved from those things, so talking about a challenge is not necessarily a bad thing. You can show them you've matured through your professional experience and your adaptability to new situations now.

Good luck!
Kate

TingF wrote:
Hi Kate,

Thank your very much for your advice, it is really helpful.

May I ask two more questions?

1. If I decide to apply in R2 this year, would you please suggest any "realistic“ or"safe“ US schools as Haas and INSEAD may be challenging?
2. Thank you for your advice about the optional essay, but I am quite confused whether I could say "not adapting in UK”(it is quite awful for international applicants),and how can I certify I have matured?

Thanks again!

mbaMissionKate wrote:
Hi TingF,
Thanks for reaching out.

Best of luck!
Kate

TingF wrote:

GMAT 710(Q50 V35 IR7)

Academics:

Undergraduate:

Postgraduate:

Extra-Curricular:

- UC Berkeley Haas
- INSEAD

I am also considering:

Kate Richardson
Read our school insider's guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2017, 01:35
Thank you so much for the advice!
G
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 10 Dec 2017, 12:06
:-)
TingF wrote:
Thank you so much for the advice!

Kate Richardson

Profile Evaluation:Low GPA & R3

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: mbaMissionKate

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap