GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 26 Aug 2019, 00:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Profile Evaluation - M Caucasian, 720 GMAT, 3.2

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
Profile Evaluation - M Caucasian, 720 GMAT, 3.2  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2019, 00:14
Hey everyone,

I was hoping to get some insight on my potential for some of my target schools, some highlights of my profile are:

-720 GMAT
-3.5 years experience at an investment consultant; moved up from Analyst to Investment Associate within 1.5 years and have worked on the energy and buyout teams analyzing PE firms and co-investments for institutional investors (pension funds, endowments, etc.). Smaller firm but it has provided me some additional responsibility early on
-Reason for MBA is to move into consulting. Story is essentially that I have worked analyzing PE firms and their portfolio companies and became particularly interested in the actual underlying operational changes and stories. I want to move into consulting to be closer to the ground level in actually enacting these organizational changes
-3.2 GPA from top 50 US undergrad. Story here is I had around a 3.7 before the second semester of my junior year - some sensitive things happened in my personal life (happy to discuss over PM) that resulted in me not focused on school and generally losing my footing for a year or two. I really learned a lot from the experience and it would, if appropriate to add to a MBA application, play a role in my overall story/growth.
-No real significant extra curriculars

targeted schools:
-U Michigan
-UCLA
-Darden
-NYU
-Booth and Columbia (feel like reaches at this point)

I appreciate any feedback, thanks!
Admissionado
P
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Re: Profile Evaluation - M Caucasian, 720 GMAT, 3.2  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2019, 07:41
Hi there! I think you have a good shot at the schools you listed. I agree that Booth & Wharton are a bit more in the reach category, but assuming some really strong essays you definitely have a shot at them. The GPA is a weakness but it sounds like you have a strong explanation there & if you use the optional essay to explain it well the adcom will likely not let that count against you. Your GMAT is not a differentiator but is totally solid for these schools.

Your big challenge will just be differentiating yourself. As a white male with a typical background & typical post-MBA goals there will be a lot of people applying who "look like" you in some way. The trick will be to show the adcom why they should admit YOU vs. the others. Coming up with your strategy & your story is an art form -- it draws on your personal experience, your professional experience, HOW you talk about what you've done so far & what you plan to do post-MBA. Defining that unique value proposition is a huge part of where we help our clients, so if you'd like to talk definitely reach out to us. It's also important to have an awareness of what other people are saying so you know what's cliche vs. what's unique (which is where working with a consultant can also help).

All that said, I think you have the makings of a strong app & you're right on target in terms of schools. If you'd like to chat further shoot an email to Claudia at claudia@admissionado.com & she can set you up with a free consultation with one of our MBA consultants who can take a look at your resume & speak to all of this in more detail!

==

***NEW Admissionado Products & Services! ***

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Now, read up and get smart:

That'll get you started. Still have questions? Reach out, and let’s gab. 
Our only requirement is that you don’t prefer warm milk over cold milk. Everyone else, 100% welcome.

Email: claudia@admissionado.com
Young People: WhatsApp or WeChat (@JonFrankHBS)
Older: FacebookTwitterLinkedIn 
Oldest: 866-409-4753

Profile Evaluation - M Caucasian, 720 GMAT, 3.2

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: Admissionado