GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 23 Mar 2019, 06:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Profile Evaluation- master and deferred programs both us and europe

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
Profile Evaluation- master and deferred programs both us and europe  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2019, 05:14
Hi,
For anyone who clicked in, commented or not, thank you for your help.
I am a 22years old male Chinese international student who currently study at decent US university ranking around 35 with a business major and CGPA of 3.48/4.0
I took the gmat test and scored 760 with Q50V42 and IR7 with probably a 5on writing.
I have three internships during my undergraduate years:1. Small Private equity firm, 2months, analyst
2. Financial Service company for individual investors, 2months
3. Government-owned bank back office, 2 months
I don't have much e/c, mainly have joined couple clubs in my undergraduate years, had two volunteers one in the US and one in China.
Something on the side, I know some coding, video editing, and three languages.
My clear weaknesses are lack of E/C and relatively low GPA, so I understand there isn't much of a chance for me to enter the top mba, but I wanted to post to ask anyway.

So programs I applied are:
Princeton Msc Finance
Columbia Financial Economics
JHU Carey Msc Finance
KCL Finance(Asset pricing)
UCL Finance
ICL Finance
LSE Finance and private equity
Oxford Financial Economics
HEC MIF
Here are the ones I am thinking about applying:
Harvard 2+2 mba
Yale Silver Scholar
Stanford Deferred MBA

unfortunately, I don't have much knowledge regarding these deferred programs, but I thought it would be worth trying.
Also if you can, please let me know if there are any other programs that suit me (Finance or finance-like such as risk)?
Thank you for your time and effort!
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
G
Reviews Badge
Re: Profile Evaluation- master and deferred programs both us and europe  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2019, 13:51
Hi there,
That is a great GMAT score. Our expertise is on the MBA side, so I can't comment much on the Finance focused programs on your list. But from an MBA perspective, yes I agree that your GPA will be relatively low for those top programs (3.6 is often the average we see). Your E/Cs do sound weak, and in particular, those are often a great way for applicants to demonstrate leadership potential, since it's harder to do so via an internship. The deferred MBA programs you mentioned are very selective. With Harvard and Stanford, you are expected to work for 2 or 3 years before you return for your MBA. With Yale, you complete one year of the MBA coursework, then work a full-time internship in year two, and then return to campus for year three for more coursework. There are also new similar deferred offerings at Darden, Booth, Sloan. If you're interested in pursuing any of these MBA options you should definitely check out this primer we just released: https://shop.mbamission.com/products/th ... ons-primer
Best of luck!
Kate

GMATIstoohard wrote:
Hi,
I am a 22years old male Chinese international student who currently study at decent US university ranking around 35 with a business major and CGPA of 3.48/4.0
I took the gmat test and scored 760 with Q50V42 and IR7 with probably a 5on writing.
I have three internships during my undergraduate years:1. Small Private equity firm, 2months, analyst
I don't have much e/c, mainly have joined couple clubs in my undergraduate years, had two volunteers one in the US and one in China.
My clear weaknesses are lack of E/C and relatively low GPA, so I understand there isn't much of a chance for me to enter the top mba, but I wanted to post to ask anyway.

Princeton Msc Finance
JHU Carey Msc Finance
UCL Finance
ICL Finance
HEC MIF
Harvard 2+2 mba
Yale Silver Scholar
Stanford Deferred MBA

unfortunately, I don't have much knowledge regarding these deferred programs, but I thought it would be worth trying.
Also if you can, please let me know if there are any other programs that suit me (Finance or finance-like such as risk)?

Kate Richardson
mbaMission Senior Consultant and Chicago Booth Alum
http://www.mbamission.com
Read our school insider's guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders

Intern
Intern
B
Re: Profile Evaluation- master and deferred programs both us and europe  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2019, 14:00
mbaMissionKate wrote:
Hi there,
That is a great GMAT score. Our expertise is on the MBA side, so I can't comment much on the Finance focused programs on your list. But from an MBA perspective, yes I agree that your GPA will be relatively low for those top programs (3.6 is often the average we see). Your E/Cs do sound weak, and in particular, those are often a great way for applicants to demonstrate leadership potential, since it's harder to do so via an internship. The deferred MBA programs you mentioned are very selective. With Harvard and Stanford, you are expected to work for 2 or 3 years before you return for your MBA. With Yale, you complete one year of the MBA coursework, then work a full-time internship in year two, and then return to campus for year three for more coursework. There are also new similar deferred offerings at Darden, Booth, Sloan. If you're interested in pursuing any of these MBA options you should definitely check out this primer we just released
Best of luck!
Kate

GMATIstoohard wrote:
Hi,

Princeton Msc Finance
JHU Carey Msc Finance
UCL Finance
ICL Finance
HEC MIF
Harvard 2+2 mba
Yale Silver Scholar
Stanford Deferred MBA

Would I have better odds at those mentioned programs at Chicago and MIT? They are competitive too that is for sure.
G
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2019, 14:07
Slightly better...only because Harvard/Stanford are the two most selective MBA programs, but yes, Chicago and MIT are still very competitive.

GMATIstoohard wrote:

Would I have better odds at those mentioned programs at Chicago and MIT? They are competitive too that is for sure.

Kate Richardson
Read our school insider's guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2019, 14:43
mbaMissionKate wrote:
Slightly better...only because Harvard/Stanford are the two most selective MBA programs, but yes, Chicago and MIT are still very competitive.

GMATIstoohard wrote:

I'll be sure to give it a try. Thank you for your precious advice.
G
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 04 Mar 2019, 13:31
My pleasure :)

GMATIstoohard wrote:
mbaMissionKate wrote:

GMATIstoohard wrote:

I'll be sure to give it a try. Thank you for your precious advice.

Kate Richardson

Profile Evaluation- master and deferred programs both us and europe

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: mbaMissionKate

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap