GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Dec 2018, 07:38

Expecting Soon:

R1 Admission Decisions from McCombs - Join Chat Room for Latest Updates

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile evaluation middle eastern applicant

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
Profile evaluation middle eastern applicant  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 05 Oct 2018, 00:59
Dear admissions expert,

I would like to share my profile with you so that I could get some insight about the next step of my application process.

Overview- I am an arab who has studied in the UK but has since moved back to work in the middle east.

My educational background:

I graduated from Durham University in the UK (top tier university in case you don’t know the UK education system), with an Upper-Second Class Bachelors in Modern Languages and Cultures.

First attempt GMAT (August 2016): 680 *can’t remember quant and verbal as I cancelled my score, but it was somewhere in the region of 46 Q 37 V

Work experience:

At university I set up my own music promotion business. (sold my stake in it to move back to the middle east)

Since graduating, I have spent 3 years running my family retail business in Kuwait and Iraq.

I have taken the business as far as I can and in two months I am joining one of the MBB consulting firms as an associate out of one of their middle east offices.

I have two questions I would really appreciate help with.

1) Main question is, considering my profile, how badly do I need to take the GMAT again in order to score a 730, which is my target score. My target school is HBS, but I am also interested in Wharton, Stanford and Columbia.

My second question is, if I do need a higher test score, whether I should take the GMAT or the GRE. I am currently prepping for another attempt at the GMAT, and have got myself back to the 680 range in my practice test. I have also just taken a GRE practice test and score a 163 Q and 157 V (I made some silly mistakes in the verbal format and didn’t realise you had to choose two answers for some questions). I find the GRE more suitable to my skills, and was wondering with my profile which exam you think would be better, if there is a difference at all that is.

Any advice would be highly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Yousef

Originally posted by yousefa on 09 Aug 2018, 10:19.
Last edited by yousefa on 05 Oct 2018, 00:59, edited 1 time in total.
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
B
Re: Profile evaluation middle eastern applicant  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 10 Aug 2018, 08:02
Hi, yousefa! You have a really interesting background.

So, to your questions:
1) Do you need a higher GMAT than a 680 if you're applying to HBS, Wharton, Stanford and Columbia? I'd say yes. Basically, you'll want to be as close to the schools' median/mean score (schools report differently) as you can get. (Stanford= 737; HBS=730, etc.) The schools often also publish their full score range or their mid-80% range, and a 680 is either within or dangerously close to the bottom 10% for the schools you are naming. Do they make exceptions for incredible candidates? Yes they do, but it is risky to count on that, and as an "admissions expert," I would advise a retake.

2) Can you take the GRE instead? Sure. All the schools you name accept the GRE.
In fact, if you're scoring below the average, the GRE is probably a better bet since the schools really do seem to focus on trying to keep their GMAT averages up for reporting purposes and the rankings. However, with the rising popularity of the GRE, those scores are not exactly ignored and at least one ranking (US News and World Report) is beginning to include them in the calculations. But if you're more comfortable with the GRE, go right ahead and take that instead. Check out the schools' student profile pages for an idea of where their GRE ranges are - many schools are reporting them now as well.

Best of luck, yousefa! And good luck with your new job-- very exciting!

Julie-Anne Heafey
Senior Consultant
mbaMission

Originally posted by mbaMissionJA on 10 Aug 2018, 07:31.
Last edited by mbaMissionJA on 10 Aug 2018, 08:02, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
B
Re: Profile evaluation middle eastern applicant  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2018, 07:40
Sure, you can take the GRE, but based on statistics and statistics only, every year HBS admits, mostly took the GMAT and not the GRE. Just something I thought you should know.
Bests of luck!

Profile evaluation middle eastern applicant

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: mbaMissionKate

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap