GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Feb 2019, 04:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in February
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
272829303112
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
242526272812
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Ace the EMBA

     February 21, 2019

     February 21, 2019

     10:00 PM PST

     11:00 PM PST

    Learn how to create an outstanding application for top EMBA programs from an EMBA admissions expert.
  • Now accepting requests for consultations for 2019-2020!

     February 22, 2019

     February 22, 2019

     10:00 PM PST

     11:00 PM PST

    The Vantage Point MBA team is now accepting requests for consultations for the 2019-2020 appplication season. We look forward to hearing from you!

Profile Evaluation - MSc Finance at LSE/HEC Paris

  new topic post reply Update application status  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 21 Oct 2018
Posts: 6
Profile Evaluation - MSc Finance at LSE/HEC Paris  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jan 2019, 16:57
Hello,

I am applying to the Msc in Finance programmes at LSE and HEC as I just received my GMAT scores. I am a bit worried because I will likely not receive my official GMAT scores until a couple weeks (late application will hurt my chances) plus my GMAT quant score is not stellar. Could you please tell me how likely do you think it is for me to get into the programs, considering my situation?

My profile:
-GMAT: 710 (90%) Q47 V40
-Bachelor: Economics a target university in Spain with a 8.60/10 (8 out of a class of 160)
-1 year Exchange: University of Chicago: Booth (Economics, Corporate Finance, Strategic Management...)
-Recommendation letters: strong recommenders from UChicago, my home university and manager at the Consultancy.
-Statement of Purpose: Quite good in my opinion
- Actively participating at my University Consulting Association. Additionally I ended up 2nd in a Case Consulting Competition with a Jury of members of Bain, BCG and McKinsey and was invited at their recruiting process.
- Start Up co-founder. Lead the team in the Mobile World Congress Start Up competition & ended as European Semi Finalists.
- 2 summer Internships. first as a Financial Analyst at a well-known multinational and later on at a Strategy Consulting Boutique.
- Languages: Native Spanish and Catalan, Proficiency in English, Intermediate in French and very basic German.

I am worried because my quant score is not very high, and LSE might be very strict about it.
Also, do you think I might be able to get any scolarships if I get in?

Thank you!
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 21 Oct 2018
Posts: 6
Re: Profile Evaluation - MSc Finance at LSE/HEC Paris  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jan 2019, 18:26
Up
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
User avatar
D
Joined: 21 Mar 2018
Posts: 344
Concentration: Finance
Premium Member
Re: Profile Evaluation - MSc Finance at LSE/HEC Paris  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jan 2019, 17:04
1
ignasi19 wrote:
Hello,

I am applying to the Msc in Finance programmes at LSE and HEC as I just received my GMAT scores. I am a bit worried because I will likely not receive my official GMAT scores until a couple weeks (late application will hurt my chances) plus my GMAT quant score is not stellar. Could you please tell me how likely do you think it is for me to get into the programs, considering my situation?

My profile:
-GMAT: 710 (90%) Q47 V40
-Bachelor: Economics a target university in Spain with a 8.60/10 (8 out of a class of 160)
-1 year Exchange: University of Chicago: Booth (Economics, Corporate Finance, Strategic Management...)
-Recommendation letters: strong recommenders from UChicago, my home university and manager at the Consultancy.
-Statement of Purpose: Quite good in my opinion
- Actively participating at my University Consulting Association. Additionally I ended up 2nd in a Case Consulting Competition with a Jury of members of Bain, BCG and McKinsey and was invited at their recruiting process.
- Start Up co-founder. Lead the team in the Mobile World Congress Start Up competition & ended as European Semi Finalists.
- 2 summer Internships. first as a Financial Analyst at a well-known multinational and later on at a Strategy Consulting Boutique.
- Languages: Native Spanish and Catalan, Proficiency in English, Intermediate in French and very basic German.

I am worried because my quant score is not very high, and LSE might be very strict about it.
Also, do you think I might be able to get any scolarships if I get in?

Thank you!


Hello ignasi19

LSE and HEC are great choice.

You should not worry that much about GMAT scores coming later, you can self report your score for now, for the purpose of application deadline.

LSE Msc in Finance actually does not specify minimum or target/average score for GMAT, which is a good thing, in terms of competitiveness there is no cut off stated.

For comparison, from related programs at LSE only MSc Accounting and Finance does specify that overall GMAT score should normally be in excess of 650 points, which can serve as your guidance.

As you can see, you are just fine.


HEC stated that GMAT Median score of their accepted students is 710. :cool:


Your GPA is fine and 1 year Exchange at University of Chicago Booth is especially helpful, in terms of proving you can perform at highest level in academia.

Same goes for recommendation letter, good job there :thumbup:

Your extra curricular activities and internships are good and being proficient in Catalan/Spanish, English and French along with some German is quite a plus.


All in all, you have a fair chance of being admitted at those top European schools and both schools do indeed provide some scholarships that you can win.


Good Luck :geek: :cool:
_________________

Your kudos are much appreciated

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 21 Oct 2018
Posts: 6
Re: Profile Evaluation - MSc Finance at LSE/HEC Paris  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2019, 09:19
billionaire wrote:
ignasi19 wrote:
Hello,

I am applying to the Msc in Finance programmes at LSE and HEC as I just received my GMAT scores. I am a bit worried because I will likely not receive my official GMAT scores until a couple weeks (late application will hurt my chances) plus my GMAT quant score is not stellar. Could you please tell me how likely do you think it is for me to get into the programs, considering my situation?

My profile:
-GMAT: 710 (90%) Q47 V40
-Bachelor: Economics a target university in Spain with a 8.60/10 (8 out of a class of 160)
-1 year Exchange: University of Chicago: Booth (Economics, Corporate Finance, Strategic Management...)
-Recommendation letters: strong recommenders from UChicago, my home university and manager at the Consultancy.
-Statement of Purpose: Quite good in my opinion
- Actively participating at my University Consulting Association. Additionally I ended up 2nd in a Case Consulting Competition with a Jury of members of Bain, BCG and McKinsey and was invited at their recruiting process.
- Start Up co-founder. Lead the team in the Mobile World Congress Start Up competition & ended as European Semi Finalists.
- 2 summer Internships. first as a Financial Analyst at a well-known multinational and later on at a Strategy Consulting Boutique.
- Languages: Native Spanish and Catalan, Proficiency in English, Intermediate in French and very basic German.

I am worried because my quant score is not very high, and LSE might be very strict about it.
Also, do you think I might be able to get any scolarships if I get in?

Thank you!


Hello [/b]

LSE and HEC are great choice.

You should not worry that much about GMAT scores coming later, you can self report your score for now, for the purpose of application deadline.

LSE Msc in Finance actually does not specify minimum or target/average score for GMAT, which is a good thing, in terms of competitiveness there is no cut off stated.

For comparison, from related programs at LSE only MSc Accounting and Finance does specify that overall GMAT score should normally be in excess of 650 points, which can serve as your guidance.

As you can see, you are just fine.


HEC stated that GMAT Median score of their accepted students is 710. :cool:


Your GPA is fine and 1 year Exchange at University of Chicago Booth is especially helpful, in terms of proving you can perform at highest level in academia.

Same goes for recommendation letter, good job there :thumbup:

Your extra curricular activities and internships are good and being proficient in Catalan/Spanish, English and French along with some German is quite a plus.


All in all, you have a fair chance of being admitted at those top European schools and both schools do indeed provide some scholarships that you can win.


Good Luck :geek: :cool:


Hi billionaire,

Let me thank you for your detailed answer, it was very helpful.
I am relieved, I will then apply apply to the programs asap to maximize my chances of getting in.
Indeed, I will also apply to ESADE MiF and LBS MFA which seems pretty interesting in terms of career placement.

Best,
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
User avatar
D
Joined: 21 Mar 2018
Posts: 344
Concentration: Finance
Premium Member
Re: Profile Evaluation - MSc Finance at LSE/HEC Paris  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2019, 17:46
ignasi19 wrote:
billionaire wrote:
ignasi19 wrote:
Hello,

I am applying to the Msc in Finance programmes at LSE and HEC as I just received my GMAT scores. I am a bit worried because I will likely not receive my official GMAT scores until a couple weeks (late application will hurt my chances) plus my GMAT quant score is not stellar. Could you please tell me how likely do you think it is for me to get into the programs, considering my situation?

My profile:
-GMAT: 710 (90%) Q47 V40
-Bachelor: Economics a target university in Spain with a 8.60/10 (8 out of a class of 160)
-1 year Exchange: University of Chicago: Booth (Economics, Corporate Finance, Strategic Management...)
-Recommendation letters: strong recommenders from UChicago, my home university and manager at the Consultancy.
-Statement of Purpose: Quite good in my opinion
- Actively participating at my University Consulting Association. Additionally I ended up 2nd in a Case Consulting Competition with a Jury of members of Bain, BCG and McKinsey and was invited at their recruiting process.
- Start Up co-founder. Lead the team in the Mobile World Congress Start Up competition & ended as European Semi Finalists.
- 2 summer Internships. first as a Financial Analyst at a well-known multinational and later on at a Strategy Consulting Boutique.
- Languages: Native Spanish and Catalan, Proficiency in English, Intermediate in French and very basic German.

I am worried because my quant score is not very high, and LSE might be very strict about it.
Also, do you think I might be able to get any scolarships if I get in?

Thank you!


Hello [/b]

LSE and HEC are great choice.

You should not worry that much about GMAT scores coming later, you can self report your score for now, for the purpose of application deadline.

LSE Msc in Finance actually does not specify minimum or target/average score for GMAT, which is a good thing, in terms of competitiveness there is no cut off stated.

For comparison, from related programs at LSE only MSc Accounting and Finance does specify that overall GMAT score should normally be in excess of 650 points, which can serve as your guidance.

As you can see, you are just fine.


HEC stated that GMAT Median score of their accepted students is 710. :cool:


Your GPA is fine and 1 year Exchange at University of Chicago Booth is especially helpful, in terms of proving you can perform at highest level in academia.

Same goes for recommendation letter, good job there :thumbup:

Your extra curricular activities and internships are good and being proficient in Catalan/Spanish, English and French along with some German is quite a plus.


All in all, you have a fair chance of being admitted at those top European schools and both schools do indeed provide some scholarships that you can win.


Good Luck :geek: :cool:


Hi billionaire,

Let me thank you for your detailed answer, it was very helpful.
I am relieved, I will then apply apply to the programs asap to maximize my chances of getting in.
Indeed, I will also apply to ESADE MiF and LBS MFA which seems pretty interesting in terms of career placement.

Best,



Hello ignasi19

Sure, ESADE and LBS would be excellent choice.

I have more good and relevant news for you.

ESADE average GMAT is 670 (total score) for the Master in Finance. ;)

LBS MFA seems like very interesting program, average GMAT of accepted students is 716.

I like their curriculum and electives.

Then again, as being Finance guy myself, I am little biased toward London and LBS/LSE.

I would go there for my PhD :cool:


That being said, I would also be happy to go to either HEC or ESADE.


Good Luck with application :geek: :cool:
_________________

Your kudos are much appreciated

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Profile Evaluation - MSc Finance at LSE/HEC Paris   [#permalink] 29 Jan 2019, 17:46
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Profile Evaluation - MSc Finance at LSE/HEC Paris

  new topic post reply Update application status  


cron
Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.