It is currently 13 Dec 2017, 05:25

Decision(s) Day!:

CHAT Rooms | Ross R1 | Kellogg R1 | Darden R1 | Tepper R1

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation. MSc Finance. GMAT 760(Q50, V42, IR8, AWA 6).

new topic post reply Update application status  
Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 31

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Premium Member CAT Tests
Profile Evaluation. MSc Finance. GMAT 760(Q50, V42, IR8, AWA 6). [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Nov 2017, 09:59
Hello All, I am planning on admissions for the year 2018.

I am a current student at BITS Pilani, India pursuing my Bachelors of Engineering in Computer Science. I am in my final year(4th-year 1st semester).
I am currently doing an internship in a Software Multi-National Company for 6 months in Data Science. My GMAT Score is 760(Q50, V42, IR8, AWA 6) and I am taking the IELTS on November 25th.
I have decided to apply for MSc Finance and related fields in Universities in Europe. I am preferring Europe as the courses here are only 1 year long compared with 2-year courses in the USA, mainly because financial costs of 1-year courses are less than 2 years courses.
Also, I have seen that the colleges and programs I am going to apply have their applications start around October 2017 and end around June 2018. My current CGPA is 6.7 and it will be 7.2(First Class) after my 4-1, so around January 10th. I am also planning to sit for placements(Job) as a backup plan. This is why I am planning to apply to these colleges around February beginning. I know this is late but my CGPA will increase to greater than 7 and my placements will end around Jan 15th. So I wanted to ask you if my plan is viable. I am planning for MSc finance or related course in finance from HEC, ESADE, BOCCONI, UCL, Edinburgh, University of Bristol and Cass. I have seen that these courses expect no prior experience or background in finance and accept students with Quant related course such as engineering.
I had Mathematics in 3 semesters of my study which included calculus, statistics, probability, etc, and some mathematics in computer science courses as well.
I have a very nice knowledge of programming.

I have very less experience and knowledge in Finance as I have focused on Computer Science till now, but have done 1 course ( Principles of Economics) and planning to do 3 more courses in finance in 4-2. Also planning to apply to CFA level this July 2018, if that will increase my chances. I am also thinking of doing online certification courses in finance in 4-2 to show the adcom I am committed and interested.
I have 2 months full time in an NGO related to livelihood training for the poor. and some other Extracurricular activities such as clubs etc.

My main problem is the no experience in finance(although the programs don't expect that they may prefer prior knowledge), and my CGPA is also not great but considering BITS, I think it is above average. Also, I will be applying for the later rounds(the rounds in February).
I think my strong point will be my GMAT (760)
I am planning to apply to the following colleges.

HEC Paris
Bocconi
UCL( University College London).
ESADE Spain.
The University of Edinburgh.
The University of Bristol.
Cass Business School.
LSE, LBS, Oxford( highly competitive so don't know If I should apply).

I wanted to know my chances in these schools and if there are any better programs that I have a chance that I have missed.
what do you think about my plan?
Thank You. :)

A kudo a day keeps the doctor away.

Expert Post
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
S

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 5

Reviews Badge
Re: Profile Evaluation. MSc Finance. GMAT 760(Q50, V42, IR8, AWA 6). [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Nov 2017, 18:59
Hi DIII, thanks for reaching out.

Excellent GMAT score! If waiting til February helps raise your GPA a bit, then I agree that's the right call.

I don't think you need to have much experience in Finance (otherwise you would not need the degree!); but you just need to show an interest and be able to explain how the degree fits into your career goals.

We're not experts in that degree, so I can't really comment on specific schools, but that looks like a good list. My only concern is that you have a lot of schools on there! Applications are time consuming, so be focused in your search.

Best of luck!
Kate

DIII wrote:
Hello All, I am planning on admissions for the year 2018.

I am a current student at BITS Pilani, India pursuing my Bachelors of Engineering in Computer Science. I am in my final year(4th-year 1st semester).
I am currently doing an internship in a Software Multi-National Company for 6 months in Data Science. My GMAT Score is 760(Q50, V42, IR8, AWA 6) and I am taking the IELTS on November 25th.
I have decided to apply for MSc Finance and related fields in Universities in Europe. I am preferring Europe as the courses here are only 1 year long compared with 2-year courses in the USA, mainly because financial costs of 1-year courses are less than 2 years courses.
Also, I have seen that the colleges and programs I am going to apply have their applications start around October 2017 and end around June 2018. My current CGPA is 6.7 and it will be 7.2(First Class) after my 4-1, so around January 10th. I am also planning to sit for placements(Job) as a backup plan. This is why I am planning to apply to these colleges around February beginning. I know this is late but my CGPA will increase to greater than 7 and my placements will end around Jan 15th. So I wanted to ask you if my plan is viable. I am planning for MSc finance or related course in finance from HEC, ESADE, BOCCONI, UCL, Edinburgh, University of Bristol and Cass. I have seen that these courses expect no prior experience or background in finance and accept students with Quant related course such as engineering.
I had Mathematics in 3 semesters of my study which included calculus, statistics, probability, etc, and some mathematics in computer science courses as well.
I have a very nice knowledge of programming.

I have very less experience and knowledge in Finance as I have focused on Computer Science till now, but have done 1 course ( Principles of Economics) and planning to do 3 more courses in finance in 4-2. Also planning to apply to CFA level this July 2018, if that will increase my chances. I am also thinking of doing online certification courses in finance in 4-2 to show the adcom I am committed and interested.
I have 2 months full time in an NGO related to livelihood training for the poor. and some other Extracurricular activities such as clubs etc.

My main problem is the no experience in finance(although the programs don't expect that they may prefer prior knowledge), and my CGPA is also not great but considering BITS, I think it is above average. Also, I will be applying for the later rounds(the rounds in February).
I think my strong point will be my GMAT (760)
I am planning to apply to the following colleges.

HEC Paris
Bocconi
UCL( University College London).
ESADE Spain.
The University of Edinburgh.
The University of Bristol.
Cass Business School.
LSE, LBS, Oxford( highly competitive so don't know If I should apply).

I wanted to know my chances in these schools and if there are any better programs that I have a chance that I have missed.
what do you think about my plan?
Thank You. :)

Kate Richardson
mbaMission

Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 5

Manager
Manager
S

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Profile Evaluation. MSc Finance. GMAT 760(Q50, V42, IR8, AWA 6). [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Nov 2017, 21:38
Thank you, Kate.
Will try to narrow down the list of schools. I was thinking because I am applying late, I will apply to more schools.
mbaMissionKate wrote:

Excellent GMAT score! If waiting til February helps raise your GPA a bit, then I agree that's the right call.

I don't think you need to have much experience in Finance (otherwise you would not need the degree!); but you just need to show an interest and be able to explain how the degree fits into your career goals.

We're not experts in that degree, so I can't really comment on specific schools, but that looks like a good list. My only concern is that you have a lot of schools on there! Applications are time consuming, so be focused in your search.

Best of luck!
Kate

A kudo a day keeps the doctor away.

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
S

Kudos [?]: 84 [1], given: 5

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 15 Nov 2017, 19:38
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Yes I see. What's most important is that you apply to a range of schools (from stretch to safety). Most of our clients apply to 4-6 schools, so if you do more than that, be prepared for some heavy lifting! Best of luck.

DIII wrote:
Thank you, Kate.
Will try to narrow down the list of schools. I was thinking because I am applying late, I will apply to more schools.
mbaMissionKate wrote:

Best of luck!
Kate

Kate Richardson
mbaMission

Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Kudos [?]: 84 [1], given: 5

Profile Evaluation. MSc Finance. GMAT 760(Q50, V42, IR8, AWA 6).

new topic post reply Update application status  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap