GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 11 Dec 2019, 22:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Profile Evaluation MSF 2020 Intake

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
Profile Evaluation MSF 2020 Intake  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Nov 2019, 08:27
Hello everybody,

I've narrowed down a list of programs that I think I have a reasonable chance of getting accepted to and that place well into asset management. I'm looking for some feedback on my competitiveness as an applicant to these programs and their standing as far as recruitment goes.

Profile:

Nationality: South African (White)
School: Stellenbosch University
Undergrad: Bachelors of Engineering Mechanical ( Don't have a GPA conversion, but if I did it could be summed up as poor)
GMAT: 740 (Q48/V42)
CFA: Passed L1 above 90th percentile. Passed L2 above 90th percentile. Writing L3 this June.
Work Experience: Unrelated to finance. 5 years as a design engineer for an automotive company.

Programs:

LBS MFA
Imperial MSc Fin
Warwick MSc Fin
UT Austin MSc Fin
Boston College Ms Fin
Vanderbilt Ms Fin
USC MSc Fin

Thanks for the feedback.

Posted from my mobile device
Director
Director
G
Re: Profile Evaluation MSF 2020 Intake  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2019, 08:40
Hmm. So great GPA and South African is going to get you some love at the US schools who like to show a diverse international group. L1 and L2 are huge and should put to ease any issues with your GPA. My question is the timeline this all happened. US schools will ding you for having 5 years work experience as this is entering MBA land. Is this full time, real experience post UG or something different? I ask because you can leave it off your resume, but if you graduated 5 years ago then you have to include it.

Assuming you are a little older and have 5 years work experience post UG, the European schools will be the better fit. US programs will likely direct you towards their MBA programs, which honestly, might be a better fit. You could do a pretty good US MBA program, finish L3 and get into a finance job in the states. The MFin places kids into analyst roles primarily.

If this isn't the case let me know and I can provide different advice.
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2019, 11:32
Thanks for the feedback MSFHQ. I assume you meant great GMAT. So my experience was fulltime after undergraduate. I do expect some schools to push me towards their MBA, but from a cost and time perspective I prefer the MFin plus there's the STEM OPT to sweeten the deal.

Director
Director
G

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2019, 20:01
AB99 wrote:
Thanks for the feedback MSFHQ. I assume you meant great GMAT. So my experience was fulltime after undergraduate. I do expect some schools to push me towards their MBA, but from a cost and time perspective I prefer the MFin plus there's the STEM OPT to sweeten the deal.

Go for it man. Issue you will find isn't push back, but a clear issue a school will have between their MBA and MSF admissions people. Vanderbilt accepting you in their MSF would take from their MBA. Same with UTA. This is why most top MBA programs do not have an MSF. They don't need them and don't want to steal from their premier program.

You will have better luck in Europe though. Or you could do BC's PT MSF. Or Georgetown's Online MSF. They tend to accept candidates with more work experience.
Re: Profile Evaluation MSF 2020 Intake   [#permalink] 26 Nov 2019, 20:01

Profile Evaluation MSF 2020 Intake

new topic post reply Update application status