GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Oct 2019, 04:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Profile Evaluation: MSF program: can I get in?

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36
Profile Evaluation: MSF program: can I get in?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Feb 2019, 07:02
Hi Everyone,

I know it's kinda late to apply for grad school at this point but since some schools have deadlines in April and June, I might still have some chances to get in for 2019 intake. :blushing
However, I am not sure whether my chances of getting into the schools I want to apply are high. My working experience is not very strong. My GPA and GMAT scores are fair but not very strong. Moreover, since my experiences are not really related to finance, I feel like it will be hard for me to get into any master in finance program. I am really lost here. Any kind of advice is highly appreciated. :please Thank you all in advance!

Some schools in mind:
Stockholm school of economics (applied)
University of St. Gallen
Cass Business School
London Business School
IE

The following is my profile. I am aiming for pre-experience MSF programs.
- BA (Honours) in accounting and economics from McGill University (CGPA 3.6/4.0)
- GMAT 710 (Q49, V36)
- 6 months of full-time working in a moderate accounting firm
- some finance related experiences in student clubs
- speak 5 languages

I am currently preparing for CFA as well. Also, should I retake GMAT? I have taken it several times but the scores are quite similar. All I did for studying GMAT were practicing the official guide questions and doing the problems in some prep books. Recently, I just realized the existence of the error log and other useful tips on gmatclub. However, I am not very sure whether adopting these tips will help me boost my GMAT score enough..... :cry:
Director
Director
G
Re: Profile Evaluation: MSF program: can I get in?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Feb 2019, 06:37
3.6 GPA and a 710 isn't that bad my friend. You probably will be a tough sell to the top programs, but Cass and IE might be within reason. The LBS MFA is more suited to you and I believe they have slightly lower admission hurdles when compared to the MBA and MFin program. Pick a stretch school and apply to the safeties.
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36

Show Tags

New post 12 Feb 2019, 07:41
MSFHQ wrote:
3.6 GPA and a 710 isn't that bad my friend. You probably will be a tough sell to the top programs, but Cass and IE might be within reason. The LBS MFA is more suited to you and I believe they have slightly lower admission hurdles when compared to the MBA and MFin program. Pick a stretch school and apply to the safeties.

Thank you for your reply!! I was panicking about my profile since I don't really have a lot of working experience and my grades are not high enough to compensate that.
MiM-Essay Representative
G
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 24 Feb 2019, 23:46
Hey Yuichen,

A lot of candidates underestimate the potential of getting in for Round 3 and Round 4, so you definitely stand a chance if you are serious about getting in this year and are strategic about your application.

As far as GMAT is concerned, it looks pretty good unless you are sure that you can boost your score by 50-60 points, I would not suggest you to re-take it.

Instead, you can use this time to build a strong application.

You have mentioned that you do not have a strong work ex. However, I would suggest you to dig deep into your 6 months of work ex and come up with any examples of achievements and learnings that support your reasons for choosing finance as a long term career option.

In our experience, majority of the candidates underestimate the importance of brainstorming on their profile, thereby missing relevant examples that might appeal to the school.

Plus, your undergrad was in Finance so if you link these experiences cohesively, it might account for a strong application.

St. Gallen and LBS are more in the dream schools range, Cass and IE can be in the competitive range depending upon your application.

If you need help in creating a strong masters in Finance Application, you can check out this page: https://www.mim-essay.com/masters-finance-essay-editing

MSc. in Management(MiM) Admission Consultants

92% Success Rate| 1200+ Admits in Top Schools| 1.8 Million Euros in Scholarships

Want to 2X your chances of selection? Book a consulting call here: http://info.mim-essay.com/book-a-call-today
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Profile Evaluation: MSF program: can I get in?   [#permalink] 24 Feb 2019, 23:46

Profile Evaluation: MSF program: can I get in?

new topic post reply Update application status