Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 16:09 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 16:09

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 271
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 271
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Re: Profile evaluation request 750 [#permalink]
Expert Reply
nvad5955 wrote:
JonAdmissionado wrote:
nvad5955 wrote:
Can you please evaluate my profile :

Indian Male

Grades :
Xth - 89.5%
XIIth - 89.9%
Undergrad ( DVR college ) - 7.4/10
GMAT 3 - 750 (Q50, V41, IR3)
GMAT 2- 680, GMAT 1- 610, both IR 6

Work experience - Total 6 yrs at the time of admission
Business co-owner at a chain of retail marts. directly responsible for over 150 employees
deeply involved in the managerial decisions of a fast growing Real estate company. Involvement includes but not limited to viability calculations, direct marketing to customers, etc

Extra curricula:
-won several debates and school
-consistently awarded for academics throughout school life
-One of the two co-ordinators of a national level technical symposium at college; during this stint i was involved with securing the funds, marketing the event and developing a more convenient and practical web portal along with setting guidelines and placing regulations. The event was covered widely by TV news.

Social responsibility
was member of a social team SNEHAM, through which i taught in remote villages, raised funds as part of secret santa to underprivileged, at Infosys.
many a times worked as a fund raiser for charity, collecting funds from the business community i am closely acquainted with ( both retail and real estate). These funds were donated to IT colleges, merit candidates who have no funds to further their education or any person who is deserving.
pro-bono management consulting to small and medium scale enterprises. i worked with several establishments ranging from hair saloons to restaurants to construction. The thought of directly of indirectly making a difference to several employees under these companies is what propels me to continue doing so.

Failed Startup:
Immediately after quitting my job, i came up with an idea when i found a clear security flaw through which a test prep company’s material could be hacked. Invited 2 other colleagues/ friends of mine to assist me technically. The idea was security/encryption on flash drive. Worked on it for 6 months from having an idea to creating a market to finally coming up with a beta product. Developed the beta product. The business plan was solid. Direct marketing was also elaborate. I was able to get two test prep companies on board with the idea to secure their data that they deliver via USB.I also networked with a scientist in Indian defense organization (DRDO) and garnered immense. We were able to address the security flaw too. It encrypted the data very quickly,But it took lot of time to decrypt. To get real time decryption and to compete with companies who actually provide this software we needed to use secure pendrives, not normal pendrives. And those pendrives are very cheap to manufacture but very costly to buy. We cannot manufacture them and so we could not reduce our prices, because our material landing cost itself was significantly more than the cost of both software and secure drives sold by our competitors . we eventually shred the idea.

Future Goal:
i want to establish a tech startup serving the health care industry. I always think big no matter how i start, big or small. I wish to create an app that will eventually predict health issues before to it can happen, help governments to assess which sections in health care to improve, connect patients to other patients with similar medical history, provide more insights to doctor,remind patients of when to take what medicines( very helpful in rural areas), digitize medical records and generate reports in laymen words and help junior doctor gain an insight with the vast range of cases that are digitally aggregated. In other words, i wish to revolutionize health care industry. I have already planned a revenue stream through this app too.

During MBA i would like to be connected to like minded people who are especially enthusiastic toward entrepreneurship. I wish to have access to Venture Capitalists who would be interested in the idea. I wish to apply for a business school who would only prepare me for this kind of venture. Also, i wish to intern as a management consultant during summer, a job that will eventually make me better and more structured at management consulting. I want to do so because pro-bono consulting to SME will always be a part of me.

B-school requirements:
Strong responsive alumni.
passionate professors who are reachable and research latest trends or influence new trends.
Entrepreneurship minded batch mates.

I believe that for true and accurate assessment of my skills i need to be as transparent and detailed as possible. Hence, the long post.

thanks for reading thus far.

I would like to know my chances of joining the below b school i deem fit for me.

Harvard
Stanford
Columbia (CBS)
Darden, Cornell ( for the small class size,in both, which i hope helps in knowing my to be work partners more and case study method of teaching,at Darden)

Also, kindly suggest the schools that you deem fit for me.

Dear Sir,
Allrighty, you got some good stuff here. Not least of which is your management of your current business and of so many people. That is already a great achievement and skill, and combined with your other entrepreneurial efforts there is a lot of good stuff here.

Congrats on your fantastic retake too! Well done. That alone can greatly help....

The one major weakness in your profile is that you graduated from a no-name school. Anyhow nothing to do about that now....

Other than that, what can I say? I think with your profile, you can stick to Top 15 schools or so, thanks to your vast leadership.

The one thing that totally makes no sense, is that your goals have nothing to do with what you have actually done, and this proposition might not please the AdCom.

Instead, consider maybe a goal which would propose expanding and streamlining your current business. I'm sure there's lots t do there too!

Best,
JF

First off, thank you so much for the response.
i apologize. i failed to mention it because i got very much carried away by the new idea and its scope. I have worked with more than one related-business at a time. This helped me in ways unimaginable. Of course, i would still remain a partner in my previous businesses and use the b school knowledge to improve it. The business was not doing great presently. I had to change the strategy, shifting the stores to a different location, improving power factors to reduce the power consumption and reducing the employee turnover(a very challenging task). we compete with almost every store in the locality some in terms of quality and some in terms of quantity. This was our founding principle to give the best product at least cost. But it is not very viable. But, eventually untraditional measures formulated by me and solid support by my other partner helped us get through. Now, we are making profits, have gained reputation and have gained customer loyalty. I was able to provide extended customer support and vast range of products effectively without overloaded inventory(reduced the turn over time). But i failed to establish the store as a premium brand( this has its perks and also in our mission statement).
i failed to mention that i would like to start a management consultancy in the near future for established and profit making enterprises along with pro-bono consulting for upcoming SME's.You are right when you said that there is a lot to be done here. I failed to mentioned it.
I also believe that an idea no matter how bright or how viable a business idea maybe, it will eventually die when there is no proper association or a supporting community. I feel association with schools that have international presence and highly reputed name will help me tremendously. So, the need to apply to top b-schools.
Also, i agree that there is a lot of work to be done to restructure my profile so that it is appealing and true to the Adcom.

Hey there!
Thanks for your explanation. Things make MUCH more sense when you present it this way. Which just goes to show you how important it is that you grant the Adcom access to your entire thought process. Because they way you present it here is much better. Consulting goals are great because they fit into your needs, your past and your future. and because it is quite logical and common to have a goal to be a consultant graduating from business school.

Just keep on developing your thought and make sure the essays you write are fantastic!

The rest will happen of itself,
Best,
Jon
Moderator:
Admissionado
9218 posts