It is currently 21 Feb 2018, 06:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile evaluation request

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
Profile evaluation request  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jan 2018, 12:31
Applying first round in fall 2018

28-year-old Chinese female

GMAT-740

Education: 2 bachelor’s degrees
First degree majored in Communication and Journalism from a non-top university in China with 76% average
Second degree majored in Finance and Economics from an unknown small university in Canada with 76% average. I had more 60s and 70s in the first 2 semesters but many 80s and 90s in the last 2 semesters.(it’s a second degree so only took 4 semesters to complete)

Learned big data tools and programming via courses and work.

Work experience:
1. 9 months retail banking in Canada for a well-known Asian bank. Did customer service, sales, reporting and trained a new employee in the last month. One of the top performers across the country for 2 quarters.
2. 6 months operations role in a major Canadian bank in Canada. Worked in development, testing and implementation of operating and process improvements. Also built reports and tool to optimize the process. After 6 months I was promoted to my current role.
3. Current role: 20 months(by Jan 2018) Analytics and reporting function(pre-management role) in the business strategy department in a major Canadian bank. My job is to build models, prepare analysis and reports for executive audiences to support decision making and field coaching.

Activities:
1. Vice President of public relations of a Toastmaster club
2. Core leadership team member of an Asian professional female organization
3. Member of a women in leadership program in my company
4. Volunteer at NHL and NBA games for a charity(fundraising)
5. Volunteered as an advisor in Junior achievement program
6. Volunteered 4 years at the university radio station as a journalist and editor while doing my first undergraduate degree

Post-MBA: Investment Banking

Target Schools: M7+ NYU, Yale, Tuck, Cornell, Haas.

I’m worried that my low undergraduate grades will stop me from getting in a top MBA program. What else can I do to strengthen my profile? Should I retake GMAT to make it 750+?
Should I convert my grades to 4.0 scale when I apply?

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Expert Post
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
S
Reviews Badge
Re: Profile evaluation request [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jan 2018, 15:29
Hi katyyy,
Thanks for reaching out!

Your work experience sounds really strong, especially the top performance, promotion, and heavy analytical work, plus visibility of your work to senior leadership. Focus on continuing to build your work leadership and accomplishments before you apply and lining up two recommenders who know you really well and can speak enthusiastically to the impact of your work.

Your activities sound great too, and good to see leadership there, assuming some of those are ones you still currently involved with, then just keep it up til application time!

As for the academics, which I know you're most concerned about. I'd really love to see you above 80% to be considered strong for top (M7) programs, but that doesn't mean your GPA is going to be a deal breaker either. By the way, you don't need to convert your GPAs to 4.0 scale -- you will report as is on your transcript and admissions committees are well versed in reviewing GPAs from other countries. The upward trend towards the end of your program helps. You could take an additional course or two now, though I'm not sure how much that will add if you took Econ/Finance courses already and did well in them. But that's one option to improve. If you really want to maximize your chances at those top schools, then a higher GMAT could help slightly, but I don't think you need to retake it.

Otherwise I would focus on networking with your target schools and writing standout essays.

Best of luck!
Kate

katyyy wrote:

GMAT-740

First degree majored in Communication and Journalism from a non-top university in China with 76% average
Second degree majored in Finance and Economics from an unknown small university in Canada with 76% average. I had more 60s and 70s in the first 2 semesters but many 80s and 90s in the last 2 semesters.(it’s a second degree so only took 4 semesters to complete)

Work experience:
1. 9 months retail banking in Canada for a well-known Asian bank. Did customer service, sales, reporting and trained a new employee in the last month. One of the top performers across the country for 2 quarters.
2. 6 months operations role in a major Canadian bank in Canada. Worked in development, testing and implementation of operating and process improvements. Also built reports and tool to optimize the process. After 6 months I was promoted to my current role.
3. Current role: 20 months(by Jan 2018) Analytics and reporting function(pre-management role) in the business strategy department in a major Canadian bank. My job is to build models, prepare analysis and reports for executive audiences to support decision making and field coaching.

Activities:
6. Volunteered 4 years at the university radio station as a journalist and editor while doing my first undergraduate degree

I’m worried that my low undergraduate grades will stop me from getting in a top MBA program. What else can I do to strengthen my profile? Should I retake GMAT to make it 750+?

Kate Richardson
Senior Consultant, mbaMission

Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insider's Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 17 Jan 2018, 19:20
mbaMissionKate wrote:
Hi katyyy,
Thanks for reaching out!

Your work experience sounds really strong, especially the top performance, promotion, and heavy analytical work, plus visibility of your work to senior leadership. Focus on continuing to build your work leadership and accomplishments before you apply and lining up two recommenders who know you really well and can speak enthusiastically to the impact of your work.

Your activities sound great too, and good to see leadership there, assuming some of those are ones you still currently involved with, then just keep it up til application time!

As for the academics, which I know you're most concerned about. I'd really love to see you above 80% to be considered strong for top (M7) programs, but that doesn't mean your GPA is going to be a deal breaker either. By the way, you don't need to convert your GPAs to 4.0 scale -- you will report as is on your transcript and admissions committees are well versed in reviewing GPAs from other countries. The upward trend towards the end of your program helps. You could take an additional course or two now, though I'm not sure how much that will add if you took Econ/Finance courses already and did well in them. But that's one option to improve. If you really want to maximize your chances at those top schools, then a higher GMAT could help slightly, but I don't think you need to retake it.

Otherwise I would focus on networking with your target schools and writing standout essays.

Best of luck!
Kate

katyyy wrote:

GMAT-740

Work experience:

Activities:

Thank you very much Kate! :)

Expert Post
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
S
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 21 Jan 2018, 17:53
You're welcome! :-)

Kate Richardson
Senior Consultant, mbaMission

Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insider's Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Profile evaluation request

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: mbaMissionKate

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap