GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Aug 2018, 04:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Profile Evaluation Request

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
Profile Evaluation Request  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jan 2018, 04:17
Hi,
I request you please evaluate my profile.
Below is a brief summary of my profile:

Name: Srinivas Varma
Nationality: Indian
Sex : Male
GPA : 3.7
WE: 36 months (12 Months in Electronics Hardware & 24 Months as an Entrepreneure)
GMAT: 730
Languages - 6 (English, Hindi, Tamil, Telugu, Kannada, Mandarin(basic))

I started off my career in my family business where i was tasked to develop the marketing and sales plan for product that we manufactured.
Was instrumental in building a team of 5 to address the IT Hardware Govt Tender market in India and have been successful in winning contracts and competing with many large MNCs'.

Along with this i have also started a Company in the Software Defined Networking Space in India. Have been able to successfully partner with an Australian Company and many Taiwanese companies to represent their products and drive them in the Indian Market. I have been doing this for the last 24 months.

My short term goal is to work in Product Management in the Tech Industry. Long term goal is to return to India and apply what i have learnt from my experience as a product manager in the tech industry to both my own as well as the family business.
Extracurricular:-I enjoy playing the classical nylon string guitar(Trinity Grade 4 Level Pieces), I have represented my club in Snooker tournaments.

I request you to please let me know how competitive my profile would be for a M7 Program.
Thank you for your time.
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
G
Reviews Badge
Re: Profile Evaluation Request  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jan 2018, 13:53
Hi Srinivas,

Thanks for reaching out!

I think your work experience is really strong, and will set you apart from other applicants. In particular I really like the mix of family business experience plus venturing out on your own. And it's great you've had some early successes with your company, especially including cross-border deals.

Your academics (GPA / GMAT) are solid too -- where did you study? In India or elsewhere? I'm not sure if you're converting your GPA to a 4.0 scale (which by the way you won't need to do when you apply).

The only area that seems like it could use a boost is your extracurricular activities since schools look mostly for current (post-college) activities, and ideally ones that involve working with others or leading others, instead of solo activities. Though I still think your music experience is interesting and should be highlighted, but if possible to add something else before you apply, like volunteer work, or serving on a board/committee, that would be ideal.

Otherwise I would focus on researching / networking with your target schools. I think a few M7 schools are likely in range for you, but it's also smart to have a range of schools with a few outside the M7. In your case, check out schools like Ross or Fuqua that are really strong for product management.

Best of luck!
Kate

srini0293 wrote:
Hi,
I request you please evaluate my profile.
Below is a brief summary of my profile:

Name: Srinivas Varma
Nationality: Indian
Sex : Male
GPA : 3.7
WE: 36 months (12 Months in Electronics Hardware & 24 Months as an Entrepreneure)
GMAT: 730
Languages - 6 (English, Hindi, Tamil, Telugu, Kannada, Mandarin(basic))

I started off my career in my family business where i was tasked to develop the marketing and sales plan for product that we manufactured.
Was instrumental in building a team of 5 to address the IT Hardware Govt Tender market in India and have been successful in winning contracts and competing with many large MNCs'.

Along with this i have also started a Company in the Software Defined Networking Space in India. Have been able to successfully partner with an Australian Company and many Taiwanese companies to represent their products and drive them in the Indian Market. I have been doing this for the last 24 months.

My short term goal is to work in Product Management in the Tech Industry. Long term goal is to return to India and apply what i have learnt from my experience as a product manager in the tech industry to both my own as well as the family business.
Extracurricular:-I enjoy playing the classical nylon string guitar(Trinity Grade 4 Level Pieces), I have represented my club in Snooker tournaments.

I request you to please let me know how competitive my profile would be for a M7 Program.
Thank you for your time.

Kate Richardson
mbaMission Senior Consultant and Chicago Booth Alum
http://www.mbamission.com
Read our school insider's guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 24 Jan 2018, 19:19
Hi Kate,

Thank you for taking the time out to reply to my post. I greatly appreciate it.

Regarding the academics :- I Graduated with a 8.5 CGPA (out of 10) with a degree in Electronics & Instrumentation Engineering from VIT University (which features in the top 10 colleges in India).

Regarding Extracurricular :- Since i plan on applying during the 2019 admissions season(2020 intake), do you think taking up extracurriculars (ike volunteer work, or serving on a board/committee) would put me at risk of appearing 'disingenuous' ?. In the sense, make it look like i am doing so primarily to check a box and not because i truly want to. Would be curious to hear your views on this.

Again, thank you for your time.

Regards.
G
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 25 Jan 2018, 09:52
Hi again,

Regarding academics, your GPA is strong, that's great, and I have heard of VIT.

Regarding extracurriculars, I don't think it's too late, and something is better than nothing! Pick an activity that you are truly interested in or a cause that you care about and then it won't put you at that risk. Perhaps even an organization or cause you had been involved with previously and can restart your involvement.

Best of luck!
Kate

srini0293 wrote:
Hi Kate,

Thank you for taking the time out to reply to my post. I greatly appreciate it.

Regarding the academics :- I Graduated with a 8.5 CGPA (out of 10) with a degree in Electronics & Instrumentation Engineering from VIT University (which features in the top 10 colleges in India).

Regarding Extracurricular :- Since i plan on applying during the 2019 admissions season(2020 intake), do you think taking up extracurriculars (ike volunteer work, or serving on a board/committee) would put me at risk of appearing 'disingenuous' ?. In the sense, make it look like i am doing so primarily to check a box and not because i truly want to. Would be curious to hear your views on this.

Again, thank you for your time.

Regards.

Kate Richardson
Read our school insider's guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 25 Jan 2018, 23:47
Hi Kate,

Thank you very much. This was really helpful.
G
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2018, 09:28
You're welcome! :-)
srini0293 wrote:
Hi Kate,

Thank you very much. This was really helpful.

Kate Richardson

Profile Evaluation Request

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: mbaMissionKate

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap