Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 20:55 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 20:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 504
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 1304 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Re: Profile evaluation request [#permalink]
saisandeep1997 wrote:
Hi,

I am planning to appear for GMAT Exam this year if not next. if anyone would evaluate and suggest pointers regarding improving my profile and the score required to get a call, would be really helpful

Academic qualifications
10th- 9.5/10
Intermediate-96.2 percent
Btech-8/10 from NIT
Gate- 91 rank
MTECH- 8.8/10 from IIT
GMAT- Preparing (yet to give a mock)
Target institutes- isb, iim's

Work Experience
Working as an assistant manger in a PSU Company for 3 years now.

Extra curriculars
Held different positions in the college fests and as well in the department

Was the captain of badminton team of the department and finsihed 2nd twice.

This an overview of my profile, would be really thankful if someone suggests anything to build it or tell me the required score in the GMAT to get a call and hopefully get an admit.

Posted from my mobile device

Hi saisandeep1997,

Thanks for sharing your profile.

Your academics are better than most candidates in the race. The extra curricular seems decent. The experience of PSU adds richness to your profile.

Your work ex is below the eligibility criteria for most IIMs, but since you are aiming for next year cycle, that will not be a concern.

Addressing your concerns, first to "build a profile". Profile is what you are. There is really very few things you can do about it. To suggest few - 1) Do well in your job, try to create an impact 2) Try to participate in office and open events - it may be related to any of your hobbies or interest 3) Do some NGO work if possible. But, how much of these you will be able to achieve along with your job and GMAT preparation is up to you.

Second, "required GMAT score". There is no such thing. We have candidates with 640 GMAT studying in top B-schools and you will see many 700+ candidates posting in GMAT club on how they didn't even got a shortlist. Still, if that has to be quantified, anything above 690 GMAT is good. But, while preparation, your aim should be to get the most, try your hands on some mock GMAT exams and try to challenge yourself to do better. If you are preparing, aim for a 750 maybe.

To conclude, GMAT score is only a small part of overall evaluation criteria. So once done with GMAT, focus on applications and interviews.

Hope it helped.
GMATWhiz Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 1802 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q51 V40
Send PM
Expert Reply
saisandeep1997 wrote:
Hi,

I am planning to appear for GMAT Exam this year if not next. if anyone would evaluate and suggest pointers regarding improving my profile and the score required to get a call, would be really helpful

Academic qualifications
10th- 9.5/10
Btech-8/10 from NIT
Gate- 91 rank
MTECH- 8.8/10 from IIT

Work Experience

Extra curriculars

This an overview of my profile, would be really thankful if someone suggests anything to build it or tell me the required score in the GMAT to get a call and hopefully get an admit.

Hi

Bschools generally follow a holistic approach for the Admission criteria. The Adcoms don't just look at your profile or GMAT score individually. Both have its own significance. Your profile appears to be good, however, it depends how you build up your application. Coming to GMAT score, it would be wise to aim for a 730+ as a higher score never hurts.

The min exp for ISB is 2 years, and the average work ex as per the class profile is anywhere between 4-6 years I believe. One of our students got into ISB with GMAT 720. So, it's achievable if you move forward with a structured approach.

All the very best!

Feel free to reach out in case of any queries!
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 615 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
Send PM
saisandeep1997 wrote:
Hi,

Academic qualifications
10th- 9.5/10
Btech-8/10 from NIT
Gate- 91 rank
MTECH- 8.8/10 from IIT

Work Experience

Extra curriculars

Hi saisandeep1997 , hope you are well

Given you are from a PSU, I believe an early application would work better in your case unless you can show immense career progression at the PSU by waiting for another 1-2 years (which is usually a tough thing to do at PSUs). The longer your experience is the stronger your leadership narrative should be. If targeting the IIMs and you don't meet the age criteria, you could look at making the switch to a startup to diversify your profile and strengthen your prospects.

Your have good academics and esteemed pedigree, but you would need to show strong motivation for transitioning from a core technical role to the business/general management track. Your ECs seem dated and do not stand out. Do refer to this write up that could help you massage your memory to recall any outside or at work initiatives that made a positive impact on people around you.

How to put together an impressive ECs essay when you don’t have many?[/size]

Target a score of 730+ definitely.

If you wish to seek professional guidance feel free to reach out.

Best wishes
Admission Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 73 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Profile evaluation request [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi,
As far as the academic profile is concerned you look well placed to score high on those areas in the application process. For the GMAT score try to score as high as possible, anything close to 710 or plus would add value to your application. You have mentioned that you have worked in a PSU but the sector/ function is not clear here. My suggestion for the profile is to closely work out your transition plan - a change in sector seems most likely here, so work on your future employability well.

saisandeep1997 wrote:
Hi,

Academic qualifications
10th- 9.5/10
Btech-8/10 from NIT
Gate- 91 rank
MTECH- 8.8/10 from IIT

Work Experience

Extra curriculars

GMAT Club Bot
Profile evaluation request [#permalink]