Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 16:21 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 16:21

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 277
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35 (Online)
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 74 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 969 [0]
Given Kudos: 139
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Profile Evaluation request [#permalink]
Businessconquerer wrote:
jim441 wrote:

* Also, as a side hustle I manage/own few instagram pages and have earned pretty decent money from all this. I have paid for my undergrds tution fee myself using this amount (Not sure whether to use this)

You worked as a freelancer to generate revenue- this is an entrepreneurial trait, why will you not put that on the resume, that is definitely a Business person's quality.

I do want to understand your-
Goals? Geographical preference?

to better help you with recommendations. What specifically do you need advice on?

Hi, thank you so much for replying. I am pretty confused as to which colleges would be ideal for me. My GMAT score is average. I am not able to shortlist colleges somehow.

So I am thinking of going towards corporate strategy or consulting since I come from oil and gas sector and currently I am kind of looking after a project on Carbon emission control for my company (I am saying kind of coz my involvement is not much in the project, I am just a volunteer). I don't have a demographic preferences as such.
MBA and Beyond Consulting
Status:MBA Admissions Consulting from INSEAD, Wharton and Columbia graduates
Affiliations: INSEAD and Harvard
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hello jim441,

I hope you are doing good. You have a strong profile with a good mix of academic achievement, professional experience, and extracurricular involvement. Your work experience in the oil and gas industry, along with your leadership roles and significant project management responsibilities, showcases your capability to handle complex challenges. While your GMAT score of 690 is competitive, aiming for a slightly higher score could make your application more competitive, especially if you're targeting top-tier MBA programs.

Coming to your work experience, your four years of experience in the oil and gas industry, with technical roles and leadership responsibilities, including managing a team and handling substantial budgets, is a significant strength. It demonstrates your ability to lead, manage projects, and work in a challenging environment.

Your involvement in environmental initiatives and NGOs, as well as your success in managing Instagram pages as a side hustle, shows your commitment to social causes and your entrepreneurial spirit. While your extracurricular involvement is diverse, focusing on one or two activities and showcasing your significant impact or leadership within those could strengthen your application.

Be sure to clearly articulate your post-MBA career goals and how an MBA will help you achieve them. Whether you're looking to continue in the energy sector or pivot to a different field, a well-defined plan will enhance your application.

Considering your profile, the National University of Singapore (NUS) and Nanyang Technological University (NTU) are solid options, especially if you're looking to stay in the Asia-Pacific region. These schools have strong reputations and are known for their connections to industries in the region. However, it's also a good idea to diversify your school choices and consider a mix of reach, match, and safety schools. The specific schools you target will depend on factors such as your career goals, preferred location, and program strengths.

Remember that the application process is holistic. Along with your academic and professional accomplishments, your essays, recommendations, and interviews will play a crucial role in the admissions decision. Tailor your application to each school's values and strengths, showcasing how you'll contribute to the program's community and culture.

Lastly, your ability to pay for your undergraduate tuition through your side hustle could be an interesting addition to your story, showing your resourcefulness and determination. Be sure to frame it in a way that highlights your skills and attributes relevant to your MBA journey.

We offer a limited number of complimentary profile evaluations each week . We match you with the students and alums of top B-Schools according to your background and target schools. In this call, the experts will try to dig out your USP for top B-schools and provide you with honest feedback on your profile and chances to your target schools.

Book a free profile evaluation call now!

Neha Hadke
Strategy Manager
Testimonials
Meet our Panel of Consultants.
Email: neha@mbaandbeyond.com
MBA and Beyond

jim441 wrote:
Hi all,

I hope you are doing amazing. Here are few things about me, I would love to hear your thoughts.

Demographics: Indian, 26, male

Education: 8.23/10, Chemical Engineering, National institute of technology, Hamirpur

GMAT: 690 (Q49/V34/IR7/AWA5)

Work Ex: (4 years)

I have been working in Oil and Gas refinery for the past 4 years. I have worked in different roles within the organisation. For the first two years I was looking after the technical aspects of a certain manufacturing unit. During this time I was leading the team of 6 people and my jobe role was entirely technical. And since last two years I have been working as the Turnaround Planner of the manufacturing unit. The total cost of the turnaround projects that I have handled is around $15 million+.

Extra Curricular:

* During my undergrads, I was the part of the finance team, which was responsible for arranging sponsorships for the annual college fest.
* During my undergrads, I was the member of an environmental team, which was operating within the university.
* I was a part of an NGO, which was working towards creating awarness regarding pollution and environment conservation.
* Also, as a side hustle I manage/own few instagram pages and have earned pretty decent money from all this. I have paid for my undergrds tution fee myself using this amount (Not sure whether to use this)

I am still doing my reasearch as to which college will best suit me. So far I have selected NUS,NTU. Any recommendations.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
MBAandBeyond wrote:
Hello jim441,

I hope you are doing good. You have a strong profile with a good mix of academic achievement, professional experience, and extracurricular involvement. Your work experience in the oil and gas industry, along with your leadership roles and significant project management responsibilities, showcases your capability to handle complex challenges. While your GMAT score of 690 is competitive, aiming for a slightly higher score could make your application more competitive, especially if you're targeting top-tier MBA programs.

Coming to your work experience, your four years of experience in the oil and gas industry, with technical roles and leadership responsibilities, including managing a team and handling substantial budgets, is a significant strength. It demonstrates your ability to lead, manage projects, and work in a challenging environment.

Your involvement in environmental initiatives and NGOs, as well as your success in managing Instagram pages as a side hustle, shows your commitment to social causes and your entrepreneurial spirit. While your extracurricular involvement is diverse, focusing on one or two activities and showcasing your significant impact or leadership within those could strengthen your application.

Be sure to clearly articulate your post-MBA career goals and how an MBA will help you achieve them. Whether you're looking to continue in the energy sector or pivot to a different field, a well-defined plan will enhance your application.

Considering your profile, the National University of Singapore (NUS) and Nanyang Technological University (NTU) are solid options, especially if you're looking to stay in the Asia-Pacific region. These schools have strong reputations and are known for their connections to industries in the region. However, it's also a good idea to diversify your school choices and consider a mix of reach, match, and safety schools. The specific schools you target will depend on factors such as your career goals, preferred location, and program strengths.

Remember that the application process is holistic. Along with your academic and professional accomplishments, your essays, recommendations, and interviews will play a crucial role in the admissions decision. Tailor your application to each school's values and strengths, showcasing how you'll contribute to the program's community and culture.

Lastly, your ability to pay for your undergraduate tuition through your side hustle could be an interesting addition to your story, showing your resourcefulness and determination. Be sure to frame it in a way that highlights your skills and attributes relevant to your MBA journey.

We offer a limited number of complimentary profile evaluations each week . We match you with the students and alums of top B-Schools according to your background and target schools. In this call, the experts will try to dig out your USP for top B-schools and provide you with honest feedback on your profile and chances to your target schools.

Book a free profile evaluation call now!

Neha Hadke
Strategy Manager
Testimonials
Meet our Panel of Consultants.
Email: neha@mbaandbeyond.com
MBA and Beyond

jim441 wrote:
Hi all,

I hope you are doing amazing. Here are few things about me, I would love to hear your thoughts.

Education: 8.23/10, Chemical Engineering, National institute of technology, Hamirpur

I have been working in Oil and Gas refinery for the past 4 years. I have worked in different roles within the organisation. For the first two years I was looking after the technical aspects of a certain manufacturing unit. During this time I was leading the team of 6 people and my jobe role was entirely technical. And since last two years I have been working as the Turnaround Planner of the manufacturing unit. The total cost of the turnaround projects that I have handled is around $15 million+.

Extra Curricular:

* During my undergrads, I was the part of the finance team, which was responsible for arranging sponsorships for the annual college fest.
* During my undergrads, I was the member of an environmental team, which was operating within the university.
* I was a part of an NGO, which was working towards creating awarness regarding pollution and environment conservation.

I am still doing my reasearch as to which college will best suit me. So far I have selected NUS,NTU. Any recommendations.

Hi, thank you so much for the detailed insight. So I don't have any location preferences as such. And coming to post MBA goals, i would like to work in corporate strategy or marketing coz that's what I have been doing and I love doing it. Can you suggest me some safe college options.

Thanks
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 969 [0]
Given Kudos: 139
Send PM
If you don't have a geographical preference

Given the score, profile and career interest, Canadian top schools (Yes, including Rotman, Schulich and UBC) will be a better fit for you.

jim441

I think I may need to understand a few more things though, feel free to schedule a call with me here- Scheduler
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 615 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
Send PM
jim441 wrote:
Hi all,

Extra Curricular:

Hi jim441

I have nearly a decade of experience in manufacturing operations and supply chain design. I would be happy to advise you on potential career opportunities in light of your current role in the O&G sector.

On the surface, your GMAT is balanced, but when it comes down to statistics, i.e. if target schools recieve interest from similar profiles, your GMAT will be a deciding factor. So please keep this in mind.

The good news is that you are not part of the typical over-represented segment at top B-schools, but you will need to choose your stories very carefully to demonstrate progress in your long career and your transition from an engineer/individual to a project manager over the course of four years. Demonstrate your strong leadership skills through stories in which you helped resolve conflicts, accelerated projects, were trusted with bigger responsibilities over and over again, motivated team members or production staff to move projects forward in a timely manner, influenced management with your insights to take a particular point of view on decisions, and saved the company moneyor brought cost efficiencies.

Do good research on your post-MBA goals. MBA essays are about passion; they are about how ready you are to change a problem in the world or seize an opportunity that will change the world. To answer this question well, your passion has to reflect through your goals narrative.

If you are considering the U.S., explore Rice and McCombs in the Texas region (also Kenan Flagler), the energy centre of the U.S., where you can bring your past experience to bear. It's not clear to me how the Singapore market, which is currently very saturated, will help you find suitable jobs that are a good fit for your experience. If you are interested in moving into e com or startups in senior positions, you would be a great fit for roles in supply chain analytics, product design, supply chain network design, and planning. At other top schools where your hiring focus is management consulting, your GMAT is low. You should definitely apply to a wide range of schools (including ISB, IIM A, and B) to have a choice later on.

Get personalized advice tailored to your specific situation. Do not hesitate to reach out to us if you need help navigating your unique circumstances in the B School admissions process.

Aanchal Sahni (INSEAD alum, ex INSEAD MBA admissions interviewer)
MBAGuideConsulting
LinkedIn |WEBSITE: https://mbaguideconsulting.com/ | Message: +91 9971200927| email- mbaguideconsulting@gmail.com
Manager
Manager
Send PM
MBAGuide wrote:
jim441 wrote:
Hi all,

Extra Curricular:

Hi jim441

I have nearly a decade of experience in manufacturing operations and supply chain design. I would be happy to advise you on potential career opportunities in light of your current role in the O&G sector.

On the surface, your GMAT is balanced, but when it comes down to statistics, i.e. if target schools recieve interest from similar profiles, your GMAT will be a deciding factor. So please keep this in mind.

The good news is that you are not part of the typical over-represented segment at top B-schools, but you will need to choose your stories very carefully to demonstrate progress in your long career and your transition from an engineer/individual to a project manager over the course of four years. Demonstrate your strong leadership skills through stories in which you helped resolve conflicts, accelerated projects, were trusted with bigger responsibilities over and over again, motivated team members or production staff to move projects forward in a timely manner, influenced management with your insights to take a particular point of view on decisions, and saved the company moneyor brought cost efficiencies.

Do good research on your post-MBA goals. MBA essays are about passion; they are about how ready you are to change a problem in the world or seize an opportunity that will change the world. To answer this question well, your passion has to reflect through your goals narrative.

If you are considering the U.S., explore Rice and McCombs in the Texas region (also Kenan Flagler), the energy centre of the U.S., where you can bring your past experience to bear. It's not clear to me how the Singapore market, which is currently very saturated, will help you find suitable jobs that are a good fit for your experience. If you are interested in moving into e com or startups in senior positions, you would be a great fit for roles in supply chain analytics, product design, supply chain network design, and planning. At other top schools where your hiring focus is management consulting, your GMAT is low. You should definitely apply to a wide range of schools (including ISB, IIM A, and B) to have a choice later on.

Get personalized advice tailored to your specific situation. Do not hesitate to reach out to us if you need help navigating your unique circumstances in the B School admissions process.

Aanchal Sahni (INSEAD alum, ex INSEAD MBA admissions interviewer)
MBAGuideConsulting
LinkedIn |WEBSITE: https://mbaguideconsulting.com/ | Message: +91 9971200927| email- mbaguideconsulting@gmail.com

Hi thank you so much for the detailed insight.
GMAT Club Bot