GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Oct 2018, 22:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Profile evaluation request--Female, 750

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V45
GPA: 3.63
Profile evaluation request--Female, 750  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2018, 20:04
Female, white, LGBTQ
750 Gmat (45V, 48Q)
3.63 GPA
Years of work experience: 7
Applying to Columbia, Yale, Stern, and Wharton (maybe Harvard)

I worked as a book editor for a major publisher for six years, then started my own editorial business so that I could challenge myself and work on a larger variety of projects. I've been doing that since February, and grew my client base to twenty only four months after I started. I have edited New York Times bestsellers and award-winners; and my books have been turned into successful TV shows and movies.

In college, I was the editor-in-chief of my school's literary magazine. Out of college, I volunteered with organizations like the Fresh Air Fund and mentored teens one-on-one. I later utilized my volunteer connections to create a huge volunteer event at my company directed at connecting with and recruiting young people of color. It was the first-ever event of its kind hosted by a publisher, and I single-handedly organized the whole thing.

I want to go to business school to expand my skills--I have found success in publishing, and want a new adventure. I am looking to go into brand management, which is actually quite similar to being a book editor but much more data-driven. Because I come from an industry where no one gets MBAs, I didn't think I would want to pursue one until now.

I'm concerned that my unconventional background, combined the number of years I've already worked, will make me an undesirable candidate for a lot of schools. My partner is pushing me to apply for Harvard, but I don't want to waste my time on a school that won't accept me. Wharton is my dream school. Am I being crazy? Is my partner?
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
P
Concentration: Finance
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Profile evaluation request--Female, 750  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2018, 21:28
Heybirdy wrote:
Female, white, LGBTQ
750 Gmat (45V, 48Q)
3.63 GPA

I worked as a book editor for a major publisher for six years, then started my own editorial business so that I could challenge myself and work on a larger variety of projects. I've been doing that since February, and grew my client base to twenty only four months after I started. I have edited New York Times bestsellers and award-winners; and my books have been turned into successful TV shows and movies.

In college, I was the editor-in-chief of my school's literary magazine. Out of college, I volunteered with organizations like the Fresh Air Fund and mentored teens one-on-one. I later utilized my volunteer connections to create a huge volunteer event at my company directed at connecting with and recruiting young people of color. It was the first-ever event of its kind hosted by a publisher, and I single-handedly organized the whole thing.

I want to go to business school to expand my skills--I have found success in publishing, and want a new adventure. I am looking to go into brand management, which is actually quite similar to being a book editor but much more data-driven. Because I come from an industry where no one gets MBAs, I didn't think I would want to pursue one until now.

I'm concerned that my unconventional background, combined the number of years I've already worked, will make me an undesirable candidate for a lot of schools. My partner is pushing me to apply for Harvard, but I don't want to waste my time on a school that won't accept me. Wharton is my dream school. Am I being crazy? Is my partner?

Hello Heybirdy

You are already accepted, just you don't know that yet. :)

You are not crazy, neither is your partner, you should apply to Harvard although you may end up even after Harvard admission, deciding to go your dream Wharton school.

It is not easier to get in at Wharton compared to Harvard, so I don't see reason to rule HBS out, except if you really are not interested to go there.

You are exceptional and unconventional in many ways, which is exactly your strength, big one, not weakness.

Being female, being LGBTQ, having 750 on GMAT....they way I see it they will beg you to come, since you bring to table diversification and quality and that is not easy to emulate.

Your working background is just fine, same as your next career goals.

I will be first to congratulate you, I just hope that between all those top schools on your list, Wharton will not somehow miss to admit you.

Good Luck with Wharton ! ;)

Your kudos are much appreciated

mbaMission Admissions Consultant
S
Re: Profile evaluation request--Female, 750  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Sep 2018, 17:58
Hi there, and thanks for writing! I don't think you're crazy AT ALL (nor is your partner). To address your concerns:

- Schools truly do welcome students of all backgrounds - after all, there's only so many bankers and consultants that they'll admit into their class. They want diversity! And rest assured, people in publishing do apply to bschool (in fact, I worked with a client of this background last year who's now at Stern!) For anyone, they want to see that you've made an impact in the roles you've held, and shown leadership and teamwork
- While 7 years of experience is on the higher end, it is certainly not too high and won't necessarily be a red flag. Bottom line is that schools want the strongest candidates, and you have a very well-rounded and strong profile.

Best of luck!
Nisha

Heybirdy wrote:
Female, white, LGBTQ
750 Gmat (45V, 48Q)
3.63 GPA

Nisha Trivedi
mbaMission Admissions Consultant

Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Profile evaluation request--Female, 750

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: mbaMissionKate

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap