It is currently 22 Aug 2017, 04:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation Request for MSF Application

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Profile Evaluation Request for MSF Application [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jan 2017, 11:12
Hi everyone,

Could somebody kindly evaluate my profile and give a rough idea about the schools I should be applying to?

Nationality: Indian

Undergrad: Engineering (B.E.) from a top 15 university in India (GPA: 7.5 out of 10), graduated in 'First Class'
Postgrad: MBA from IIM (the top management institute of India, ranked in the top 20 of the Financial Times MiM Rankings), although it was more like a masters in management degree for me, since I did it right after undergrad; I think I will be able to explain this in my essays.
Certifications: Completed all levels of CFA and FRM
GMAT: Expecting something between 750 and 780

Work experience: Worked for 3 years in corporate finance for one of the world's biggest consumer products companies. Have led teams in commercial finance, supply chain finance and treasury related projects.

Extracurriculars: Actively involved with a theatre group; have performed 7-8 stage plays; have been working in a senior role in a national-level NGO combating human trafficking.

Aspirations post-MSF: I wish to switch to a career in the financial services industry, preferably in a quant role, or else, investment management, equity research or trading.

Expert Post
Director
Director
B

Kudos [?]: 94 [0], given: 1

Re: Profile Evaluation Request for MSF Application [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Jan 2017, 22:21
US or European schools? In the US, the MBA will hurt you some. I'd almost try and leave it off. CFA and FRM are very nice. That GMAT would look great. Frankly, for the US, you'd be considered more of an MBA candidate with your work experience. You could probably get into say JHU, Maryland, Brandies, Northeaster, Pitt, Minnesota, bunch of other programs like that. The issue is you have a bunch of work experience and an MBA, so I think Vanderbilt, WUSTL, USC, etc will decide you aren't a good fit. MIT *might* consider you, not 100% sure. Score wise, you'd be competitive, but I think the MBA and work experience puts you in another bucket.

UK/European schools, different store. MSc Finance students tend to have more experience than in the US, so that would help you. Class rank, GMAT, CFA/FRM done, all benefit you. I can see you getting into LSE for sure. I'd imagine a lot of the other European programs would like you. INSEAD's MSF maybe. LBS Mfin is for people with work experience.

Master in Finance HQ
http://www.msfhq.com

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 02 Feb 2017, 22:33
Thank you for your response.

Firstly, the thing is that I did my MBA right after undergrad, as is the tradition in Indian management institutes. This is why these MBAs are considered as MiM degrees (for fresh graduates) in the corporate world. They even get placed as analysts at Investment banks, as opposed to US MBA graduates getting placed as associates.

Secondly, it was my management education that kindled my interest in Finance in the first place. This is why I eventually took the CFA and FRM exams.

Do you think I would be given the chance to address my unique situation using the essays, or does this straight away make me ineligible in case of US schools?

Lastly, I am also interested in financial engineering programs in the US, like Columbia's MFE. Do you think my MBA will prove to be a hindrance in this case too?

Thanks!

Expert Post
Director
Director
B

Show Tags

New post 07 Feb 2017, 20:06
You can try and talk to the adcoms about how the MBA is really a MiM type degree. I think some of them might be receptive to that, but in general the programs tend to consider an MBA to be an MBA. Please reach out to them and explain this as it isn't a hard and fast rule.

As for MFE programs, I don't think the MBA would hurt you in this instance. Many MSF programs utilize MBA classes to fulfill the 30 credit hours required for the degree. MFE programs are different because of their technical nature. I don't think you'd receive as much push back with the MBA if you went this direction.

Master in Finance HQ
http://www.msfhq.com

Re: Profile Evaluation Request for MSF Application   [#permalink] 07 Feb 2017, 20:06