It is currently 14 Dec 2017, 20:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation Request - MBA

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 1

Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GRE 1: 339 Q169 V170
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Profile Evaluation Request - MBA [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Nov 2017, 23:58
1) Basic demographic info: 29, Male, India

2) Educational Background: B.E (8.5/10 - India), M.S (Engineering - 3.7/4.0 - Top 20 School in US)

3) GRE: 339/340 (V: 170, Q: 169. Official ETS Conversion is to 800/800 on GMAT)

4) Work experience: Staff Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA. 5 promotions in 4.5 years.
Work in the Software R & D division of a leading technology company with a focus on Data Analytics, Machine Learning, Cybersecurity.

5) Extracurriculars: Involved with a non-profit working in the education sector for the last 4 years. Have a functionary role within the org.

6) Short/Long term goals: Strategy (maybe with a focus on Technology)

7) Schools: Wharton, MIT Sloan, Booth, Kellogg MMM, Columbia, Haas (EW-MBA)

8) Recommendations - 2 good recommendations from engineering managers (direct supervisors)

I currently have a well paying job where I am gaining good experience and I am wary of spending $130K on a Tier 2 MBA program.
At the same time, I understand that I come from an over-represented pool and do not have much to make my profile unique.
I am very interested in knowing whether there are any programs which will give higher weightage to my GRE/GMAT and Technology work experience (like the Kellogg MMM Program).
Greatly appreciate the support and guidance.

Last edited by knowledgeforaction on 15 Nov 2017, 22:38, edited 1 time in total.

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
S

Kudos [?]: 84 [1], given: 5

Reviews Badge
Re: Profile Evaluation Request - MBA [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Nov 2017, 19:49
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi there!

Thanks for reaching out. Well first, impressive GRE score! That helps a lot.

Yes, you're right about the over-represented pool, but you do have the experience studying and working in the US which helps your chances. The long track record with a non-profit and the multiple promotions are impressive too!

Make sure you (and your recommenders) show the strength of your soft skills (influencing others, communicating/presenting, building collaborative teams, etc.), because your technical skills seem very strong on paper.

As for schools, Kellogg MMM seems to be a great fit. Consider Ross or Fuqua or McCombs for slightly safer options with strength in Tech. Also UCLA. But I like the idea of the Haas EWMBA as more of a backup option - your score will put you in a great position there.

What about the M.S. GPA? That could be a concern. Any explanation / context? If so, think about writing an optional essay to explain.

Best of luck!
Kate

knowledgeforaction wrote:

2) Educational Background: B.E (8.5/10 - India), M.S (Engineering - 3.7/10 - Top 20 School in US)

4) Work experience: Staff Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA. 5 promotions in 4.5 years.
Work in the Software R & D division of a leading technology company with a focus on Data Analytics, Machine Learning, Cybersecurity.

5) Extracurriculars: Involved with a non-profit working in the education sector for the last 4 years. Have a functionary role within the org.

8) Recommendations - 2 good recommendations from engineering managers (direct supervisors)

I currently have a well paying job where I am gaining good experience and I am wary of spending $130K on a Tier 2 MBA program.
At the same time, I understand that I come from an over-represented pool and do not have much to make my profile unique.
I am very interested in knowing whether there are any programs which will give higher weightage to my GRE/GMAT and Technology work experience (like the Kellogg MMM Program).

Kate Richardson
mbaMission

Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Kudos [?]: 84 [1], given: 5

Intern
Intern
B

Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GRE 1: 339 Q169 V170
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 15 Nov 2017, 22:49
Thank you very much Kate.
Sorry, I made a mistake when mentioning my MS GPA. It is 3.7/4.0 and not 3.7/10.0.
Thank you very much for your comments.
I am not desperate to join a B-School by Fall 2018.
That is why I want to stick to the M7 this year and I am thinking that I will apply in R1 for more schools next year if i don't get in this year.
Does that sound reasonable or will my age work against my chances next year (I turn 30 by Nov 2018)

mbaMissionKate wrote:
Hi there!

Thanks for reaching out. Well first, impressive GRE score! That helps a lot.

Yes, you're right about the over-represented pool, but you do have the experience studying and working in the US which helps your chances. The long track record with a non-profit and the multiple promotions are impressive too!

Make sure you (and your recommenders) show the strength of your soft skills (influencing others, communicating/presenting, building collaborative teams, etc.), because your technical skills seem very strong on paper.

As for schools, Kellogg MMM seems to be a great fit. Consider Ross or Fuqua or McCombs for slightly safer options with strength in Tech. Also UCLA. But I like the idea of the Haas EWMBA as more of a backup option - your score will put you in a great position there.

What about the M.S. GPA? That could be a concern. Any explanation / context? If so, think about writing an optional essay to explain.

Best of luck!
Kate

2) Educational Background: B.E (8.5/10 - India), M.S (Engineering - 3.7/10 - Top 20 School in US)

Expert Post
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
S

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 5

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2017, 09:59
Ah, got it. That's much better! I agree with your strategy then. Good luck!

Thank you very much Kate.
Sorry, I made a mistake when mentioning my MS GPA. It is 3.7/4.0 and not 3.7/10.0.
Thank you very much for your comments.
I am not desperate to join a B-School by Fall 2018.
That is why I want to stick to the M7 this year and I am thinking that I will apply in R1 for more schools next year if i don't get in this year.
Does that sound reasonable or will my age work against my chances next year (I turn 30 by Nov 2018)

Kate Richardson
mbaMission

Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 5

Profile Evaluation Request - MBA

new topic post reply Update application status  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap