It is currently 15 Dec 2017, 21:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation: Should I give up on the MBA?

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Profile Evaluation: Should I give up on the MBA? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2017, 03:59
Would appreciate if you can provide feedback on my case.

28 yr old Filipino Male with green card

Full-time work experience:
- 2.5 years as an Investment Banking Analyst (government financial institution) focusing on infrastructure investments;
- 3.5 years as an Investment Banking Associate with Top Tier ASEAN Investment Bank(was promoted to Associate)
- Was supposed to be promoted to senior analyst in my first job but was poached by a multinational investment bank (top tier in South East Asia)
- Spearheaded the establishment of an analyst pool program which enables analysts to rotate on different investment banking products (saves the firm extra cost and increases efficiency of working teams)
- 6 years Investment banking experience in M&A, Equity, and Debt financing

740 GMAT

Undergrad info:
Top 3 Philippine University
Applied Economics; 2.167 GPA
Low GPA due to father being diagnosed with kidney failure, and heart attack; mother was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer, stage 1 breast cancer

Significant college and post-college extra-curricular activities:
Undergrad extra-curricular: University student government, economics organization
Post undergrad: Volunteer for Non profit organizations like Teach for the Philippines, Gawad Kalinga (reach out to poor communities and teach the under privileged)

Post-MBA goal:
Transition to Private Equity or Investment Banking in the US. Strong recommendation letters from high level executives (President & CEO, Managing Director, and Executive Director). President & CEO of the firm is an alumnus of Kellogg.

I know most of the schools I will be applying to will be a reach due to my GPA but below are my dream schools:
- Wharton
- Columbia
- Yale
- Booth
- Kellogg

Want to prove that despite a horrible GPA, I was able to turn things around given my strong work experience and strong GMAT. Would appreciate any advice. Thank you.

Posted from my mobile device

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Admissionado
G

Kudos [?]: 1002 [1], given: 49

Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Re: Profile Evaluation: Should I give up on the MBA? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2017, 09:34
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
cg07 wrote:
Would appreciate if you can provide feedback on my case.

28 yr old Filipino Male with green card

Full-time work experience:
- 2.5 years as an Investment Banking Analyst (government financial institution) focusing on infrastructure investments;
- 3.5 years as an Investment Banking Associate with Top Tier ASEAN Investment Bank(was promoted to Associate)
- Was supposed to be promoted to senior analyst in my first job but was poached by a multinational investment bank (top tier in South East Asia)
- Spearheaded the establishment of an analyst pool program which enables analysts to rotate on different investment banking products (saves the firm extra cost and increases efficiency of working teams)
- 6 years Investment banking experience in M&A, Equity, and Debt financing

740 GMAT

Undergrad info:
Top 3 Philippine University
Applied Economics; 2.167 GPA
Low GPA due to father being diagnosed with kidney failure, and heart attack; mother was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer, stage 1 breast cancer

Significant college and post-college extra-curricular activities:
Undergrad extra-curricular: University student government, economics organization
Post undergrad: Volunteer for Non profit organizations like Teach for the Philippines, Gawad Kalinga (reach out to poor communities and teach the under privileged)

Post-MBA goal:
Transition to Private Equity or Investment Banking in the US. Strong recommendation letters from high level executives (President & CEO, Managing Director, and Executive Director). President & CEO of the firm is an alumnus of Kellogg.

I know most of the schools I will be applying to will be a reach due to my GPA but below are my dream schools:
- Wharton
- Columbia
- Yale
- Booth
- Kellogg

Want to prove that despite a horrible GPA, I was able to turn things around given my strong work experience and strong GMAT. Would appreciate any advice. Thank you.

Posted from my mobile device

Hey dude,
Very good to hear from you!

So overall, I think you have an excellent profile, despite that rather awful GPA :( :)

We don't see many Filipino candidates, and even fewer with your GMAT and your profile in IB. I think first and foremost that if you are to succeed, it will be more than "I am some dude who wants to get a good banking job" but rather some sort of story where you will use the uniqueness of your work in the government financial institution to somehow in the short or long-term give back to your country/people/region. If it's just a get-rich scheme, the schools will have dozens of candidates like that.

Given your age and your work experience, I think you can go with a strategy that will target those schools you propose. But I won't lie to you dude, that GPA is a big X-factor. I mean it's one thing for a school to compromise on a GPA and admit someone with a 3.2. But a 2.1! That GPA are such a statistical outlier, that it might not tempt them. But I do like your profile, and do think you have a good story.

I think you have therefore two choices:
1. A two-year strategy. You go for only top schools knowing that your GPA is a big X-factor, and if you don't get in tot he top schools, you try again next year, and comprise on schools then.

2. Basic strategy - Instead of applying just to M7 schools, you spread out to the Top 20. This will significantly increase your chances of getting in.

Whatever the case, you should definitely tell your story about your parents. And thankfully you do have a fantastic GMAT to prove that you really are a very smart guy :)

Lemme know if you have any other Qs.

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado | Packages | Success Stories | Team

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Kudos [?]: 1002 [1], given: 49

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2017, 19:06
Thank you so much for this. Your advice is extremely helpful!

What are your thoughts on the early decision route? I am strongly considering this since I've heard that it gives you a slight edge. I am strongly considering applying to schools in the 10-15 range. Given this, would you say Yale, Cornell or NYU are schools I should give a shot at? The reason is that I don't really expect a school like Wharton to be that forgiving on the GPA.

Thank you very much again for this.

Expert Post
Admissionado
G

Kudos [?]: 1002 [0], given: 49

Show Tags

New post 29 Nov 2017, 07:44
cg07 wrote:
Thank you so much for this. Your advice is extremely helpful!

What are your thoughts on the early decision route? I am strongly considering this since I've heard that it gives you a slight edge. I am strongly considering applying to schools in the 10-15 range. Given this, would you say Yale, Cornell or NYU are schools I should give a shot at? The reason is that I don't really expect a school like Wharton to be that forgiving on the GPA.

Thank you very much again for this.

I'd say make a mix. Go for schools like Wharton Booth, but then also Tale, NYU, Cornell, maybe Tepper, UNC (which both are good for finance). No reason for you not to apply to more schools rather than less, especially with such a big "X-Factor".

Best,

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 29 Nov 2017, 19:18
Thank you so much for the feedback!

Expert Post
Admissionado
G

Show Tags

New post 30 Nov 2017, 09:26
cg07 wrote:
Thank you so much for the feedback!

No prob! Good luck dude!

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Profile Evaluation: Should I give up on the MBA?

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: JonAdmissionado

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap