GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Oct 2018, 12:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Profile help

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
Profile help  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 14 Mar 2018, 02:55
Hey there, I am an Indian Male with an IT cum technology consulting background. Total WE 48 months.

Currently working with a Big 4 as a SAP consultant and a team lead. Got promoted twice in 3 yrs
Have worked for and implemented SAP suite for automobile manufacturing, Banking and service based clients from Europe and the US.
Travelled to the US twice for client go-lives. Been interacting with international clients for more than 3 yrs.

Planning to attend the class of 2021 (starting next yr 2019). Taking up GMAT arnd July this year, hoping for 710-720. Undergrad gpa arnd 3.2, non IIT

My post MBA goals include :

1. Strategy consulting at Deloitte, PwC Strategy &, AT Kearney etc. (MBB is distant)

2. Product strategy and mgmt at tech companies like SAP, Oracle, Workday, FAANG etc.

I know both these goals maybe look quite different but, I have gone thru them for a year now and thts what appeals to me. I wanna do one of them, in tht order.

Does tht look feasible as an international student in Trump's US, given the struggles

Am looking at following univs:

McCombs ----> Grp 1 (Dream)
Emory

Vanderbilt Owen
Fosters --------> Grp 2 (Stretch)
USC Marshall

Georgia Tech Scheller
Indiana Kelley
Mays
Mendoza --------> Grp 3(Reach Stretch)

UC Irvine Merage
Simon ------> Grp 4 (Reach Safe)

Any changes or addition to the targets as per my goals? (I'll have to select 7-8 of these)

Originally posted by darkstar77 on 11 Mar 2018, 02:42.
Last edited by darkstar77 on 14 Mar 2018, 02:55, edited 1 time in total.
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
G
Re: Profile help  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2018, 20:43
I think with your profile you should be in play at the schools you have listed, the higher you are on the GMAT the better you will be with your dream schools but your range is already on the top end of your schools 80% range. Your application will also be a very serious part of your candidacy so take your essays in particular very seriously and put your best efforts here, this will be the main means to help you stand out

Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Ivy Groupe Admissions Consulting Representative
S
Status: Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Harvard Business School graduate and MBA admissions expert
Affiliations: Harvard, Princeton

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2018, 09:40
Hi there,

Thanks for sharing your profile! As an Indian male applicant with a technology background, you will definitely want to make sure that you score well on the GMAT (especially since your GPA is on the lower side). Additionally, in your application, you will have to provide more color around why you are interested in pursuing your post-MBA goals and what is motivating you to go down that path (in other words, telling the reader your story). Otherwise, I do think that the way you grouped the schools makes a lot of sense!

Hope this helps!

Best,
Shaifali

Ivy Groupe, Founder/CEO
Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting

Blog: https://www.ivygroupe.com/blog
Email: info@ivygroupe.com
Phone: 646.801.5190

Click here for GMAT Club Reviews!

Admission Consultant
P

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2018, 10:58
aabhi2901 wrote:
Hey there, I am an Indian Male with an IT cum technology consulting background. Total WE 48 months.

Currently working with a Big 4 as a SAP consultant and a team lead. Got promoted twice in 3 yrs
Have worked for and implemented SAP suite for automobile manufacturing, Banking and service based clients from Europe and the US.
Travelled to the US twice for client go-lives. Been interacting with international clients for more than 3 yrs.

Planning to attend the class of 2021 (starting next yr 2019). Taking up GMAT arnd July this year, hoping for 710-720. Undergrad gpa arnd 3.2, non IIT

1. Strategy consulting at Deloitte, PwC Strategy &, AT Kearney etc. (MBB is distant)

2. Product strategy and mgmt at tech companies like SAP, Oracle, Workday, FAANG etc.

I know both these goals maybe look quite different but, I have gone thru them for a year now and thts what appeals to me. I wanna do one of them, in tht order.

Does tht look feasible as an international student in Trump's US, given the struggles

Emory

Vanderbilt Owen
USC Marshall

Georgia Tech Scheller
Indiana Kelley
Mays

UC Irvine Merage

Any changes or addition to the targets as per my goals? (I'll have to select 7-8 of these)

I am quite aligned with the b-schools you have selected. As others have pointed out, GMAT will hold key importance in your application, so really work hard towards getting a 740 or above score. A higher GMAt score will help at all of these b-schools- even the lower ranked ones, in getting some scholarship dollars.

I am not sure how you have converted the CGPA to a 4 point scale. Anyways, b-schools don't want you to make that conversion, so you should post your original scores as they will give a more accurate picture.

Your goal around product management is not aligned with what you have done so far, so the goals will need further thinking and refining.

Feel free to reach out to us for a more detailed profile evaluation.

Namita Garg,
http://www.mbadecoder.com
Call me on my cellphone: +91 9901566772
Contact us at: contact@mbadecoder.com

Ask us for R2 Early Bird Offer

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2018, 11:04
Thanks for taking time out and reviewing. Would like to add that the goals may not seem totally aligned as I need to switch tracks in a way and hence the MBA because one, it'll give me a great learning and a network of vibrant, smart people and two, it'll open up maybe newer aveneues or goals as we call them. Correct?
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2018, 11:05
MBADecoder wrote:
aabhi2901 wrote:

Emory

Vanderbilt Owen
USC Marshall

Georgia Tech Scheller
Indiana Kelley
Mays

UC Irvine Merage

I am quite aligned with the b-schools you have selected. As others have pointed out, GMAT will hold key importance in your application, so really work hard towards getting a 740 or above score. A higher GMAt score will help at all of these b-schools- even the lower ranked ones, in getting some scholarship dollars.

I am not sure how you have converted the CGPA to a 4 point scale. Anyways, b-schools don't want you to make that conversion, so you should post your original scores as they will give a more accurate picture.

Your goal around product management is not aligned with what you have done so far, so the goals will need further thinking and refining.

Feel free to reach out to us for a more detailed profile evaluation.

Thanks for taking time out and reviewing. Would like to add that the goals may not seem totally aligned as I need to switch tracks in a way and hence the MBA because one, it'll give me a great learning and a network of vibrant, smart people and two, it'll open up maybe newer aveneues or goals as we call them. Correct?
ARLee Consulting
S
Affiliations: Samsung Electronics HR Head | INSEAD Admissions Interviewer
INSEAD: MBA 11D
Concentration: Human Resources, Strategy

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2018, 14:31
Hi aabhi2901,

yes, you're correct. Given your goals the need for an MBA is clear.

However, when writing your application, be as precise as possible when defining your goals. I would recommend you to take the management consulting route, since these firms look for consultants with all kinds of backgrounds.

I hope this helps.

Good luck!
Alex

Alex Ruiz Lee, INSEAD MBA'11D & Admissions Interviewer
ARLee Consulting - Founder and Managing Director
MBA Admissions & Career Coach
HR Executive Director

Mobile: +52 1 55 2702 0059
Email: alex@arleeconsulting.com | alex@ruizlee.es
Web: http://www.ARLeeConsulting.com
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/alexruizlee/

Please, email us your CV for a free evaluation of your candidacy

Experts' Global Representative
G

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2018, 05:49
aabhi2901 wrote:

Hi aabhi2901,

Yes, with you looking to change the track, the need for the MBA becomes clear. Of course, the same will need to be appropriately discussed in your essays, as well :) Strategy Consulting becomes a bit more niche. As suggested above already, you could look at Management Consulting. This would keep the scope of your goals a bit broader. In any case, Strategy Consulting would stand as a subset of the same :)

In case you feel the need for a detailed discussion around your career goals, feel free to write to us.

Thanks.

All the best! :)

Akanksha Baldawa
Experts' Global
Students from 20+ nationalities
Every 10th Indian in US top 50 is our student!
$ 2Mn+ Scholarship Each Year Since 2010!
GMAT Preparation Online | 15 GMAT Practice Tests
MBA Admissions Consulting | MBA Interview Preparation

Admission Consultant
G
Affiliations: IvyLeagueEdge
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: Yale (A)
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V44
WE: Operations (Other)

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2018, 01:42
aabhi2901 wrote:

Emory

Vanderbilt Owen
USC Marshall

Georgia Tech Scheller
Indiana Kelley
Mays

UC Irvine Merage

aabhi2901,
1) Have helped many clients with similar specs in Prod Management roles in top schools.
2) Strategy Management may require a little bit of your proving your skills to your employer, and while they are possible, not realistic as the goals to switch to (immediately post MBA)
3) For Mgt Consulting however, the higher your score in GMAT, the more it will help, both from a school perspective, and later employment perspective.
4) Will need to understand your resume and your achievements better for more detailed advice.

Feel free to Pm with your resume for a free evaluation.

Be reminded though, for all the above, and your profile, a 730+ score would be safer (if you are a male).

Worked in US & India, Located in New Delhi, Clients from World over

For a DETAILED & FREE profile evaluation PM your resume.

The Ivy League Edge (MBA - Yale SOM)
Linkedin: http://www.linkedin.com/in/balkrishna/

Stratus Admissions Consultant
P
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
Schools: Kellogg
GPA: 3.67
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2018, 07:49
aabhi2901 wrote:

2. Product strategy and mgmt at tech companies like SAP, Oracle, Workday, FAANG etc.I'm going to go the contrarian route just since most have said consulting-- but for internationals-- getting product mgmt jobs in tech area has been one of the best opportunities-- many firms hiring internationals and you have great work experience to lead to this. So give that some thought -- and know that many programs have great relationships with tech recruiting so you can get there from many places.

McCombs ----> Grp 1 (Dream)get the GMAT up to 730+ and it becomes a cleaner shot there
Emory

Vanderbilt Owen
Fosters --------> Grp 2 (Stretch) same as point one-- Foster has great tech relationships
USC Marshall

Georgia Tech Scheller Think all these within reach - Mendoza has some awesome tech connections too
Indiana Kelley
Mays

UC Irvine Merage

just be sure to do your homework so you know why you want each program-- some tips on that here:https://stratusadmissionscounseling.com/5-tips-connecting-dream-mba-program-india/
And know that we can help-- reach out here for a free consult: https://stratusadmissionscounseling.com ... b-visitor/

Donna | Stratus Admissions | Schedule a Free Consult

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Profile help &nbs [#permalink] 19 Mar 2018, 07:49

Profile help

new topic post reply Update application status  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap