Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 14:53 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 14:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance, Sustainability
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
GPA: 3.77
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 1304 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4099 [0]
Given Kudos: 242
Concentration: Sustainability, Marketing
GMAT Focus 1:
545 Q79 V79 DI73
GPA: 4
WE:Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 230 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Re: Profile Review [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi jakau, this is Kate from mbaMission. Thanks for reaching out with your profile.

With 3 years of work experience, you are in range to apply this year, but at most programs you would still be matriculating below the average (about 5 years). It's also my experience that some of the very top schools (namely Harvard and Stanford) tend to prefer more experienced applicants. This is not to say they don't admit applicants with 3 or even 2 years of work experience, but the majority of successful admits we see tend to be closer to 5 or 6 years when they start. So that's one factor to consider, is would an extra year of work help you? It could especially if that extra year came with a promotion, more leadership opportunities, more international exposure, etc. If it would be 1 more year of basically the same work, then it probably won't make a meaningful difference.

I think the other factor to consider is your GMAT, which is below average for all the schools on your list. Is retaking an option? How likely is your score to increase? And would waiting a year give you the time to do that? Your demographics and GPA should help counteract a lower GMAT, but it's still a pretty important component of your application, and one of the few that you can still control.

Hope that helps! To me it seems that you could apply this year or next year, it just depends on the two factors I mentioned above.

Kate

jakau wrote:
Hi, I am debating on applying this year or the following year. I am not sure if my profile is competitive enough for my target schools, but would appreciate you view on my profile.

- Demographics (nationality, gender):
Native Hawaiian/Pacific Islander, Male

· Education (undergraduate institution, GPA, major - high school/entrance exams not needed):
University of Hawaii, 3.77/4.00, Finance and Human Resource Management

· GMAT or GRE or EA score (include section breakdown):
GMAT 710 (48Q, 39V)

· Work experience (briefly highlight amount of work experience, industries, roles, promotions, special accomplishments, international exposure):
3 years of working in banking. Promoted once and led model conversion projects and annual budget.
International: Worked in banking in Vietnam for <6months, Study abroad in South Korea at Yonsei University

· Extracurricular activities (briefly highlight notable undergraduate and post-undergraduate ones):
VP of Community Service for Business Fraternity, VP of Student Business Council, Co Founder of Consulting Club, Attended the Summer Venture in Management Program at HBS

· Post-MBA goals: Consulting/Financial

· Target schools: Booth, Kellogg, HBS, Stanford, Berkeley Haas, UCLA Anderson

· Other information relevant to your profile:
I am a respite care volunteer (once a week) and student mentor for high school students (twice a month)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance, Sustainability
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
GPA: 3.77
Send PM
Hi Kate,

Thank you for the profile review! I appreciate your advice and I will consider improving my GMAT score to strengthen my app.

Thank you very much!
Own Kudos [?]: 230 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Expert Reply
You're welcome! Please reach out with any further questions or updates!

jakau wrote:
Hi Kate,

Thank you for the profile review! I appreciate your advice and I will consider improving my GMAT score to strengthen my app.

Thank you very much!
Moderator:
1452 posts