Last visit was: 07 May 2024, 22:11 It is currently 07 May 2024, 22:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Admission Consultant
Affiliations: TheIvyLeagueEdge
Own Kudos [?]: 150 [0]
Given Kudos: 153
TheIvyLeagueEdge: Bala
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: Yale (A)
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE:Operations (Other)
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 630 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
Send PM
MBA and Beyond Consulting
Status:MBA Admissions Consulting from INSEAD, Wharton and Columbia graduates
Affiliations: INSEAD and Harvard
Own Kudos [?]: 352 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Re: Profile Review and Masters suggestions [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hello Pekho,

Thanks for sharing your profile.

Your profile looks good on the surface. You hold a BSc in Accounting & Finance from a well-known UK university, graduating with a first-class degree with honors. This is a strong academic achievement and will be viewed positively by admissions committees. Coming to your target score of 730, it is competitive With dedicated preparation and continued effort, you have a good chance of achieving your desired score. Moreover, a score of 730 would demonstrate your quantitative and verbal skills to admissions committees, strengthening your overall application.

On the work front, your experience at Deloitte in audit shows clear progression, with promotions to increasingly responsible roles within a relatively short time frame. This demonstrates your ability to perform well and take on more challenging responsibilities. The fact that you have worked with high-profile clients in the finance sector adds value to your profile. Your leadership achievement at university, where you were elected to represent business school students, showcases your ability to influence and work on policy matters. This is a positive aspect of your profile.

Coming to your ECs, your involvement in volunteering and being part of your university's investment fund adds to the overall well-roundedness of your profile. While they may not be major achievements, they still demonstrate your engagement beyond academics and work.

Your target universities and programs in the UK and Canada are well-regarded and competitive.
For the UK programs, LBS and Said may be more competitive given their reputations, but it's worth applying to them with a strong application.
In Canada, Rotman's MFE program is indeed competitive, but UBC and McGill should be viable options based on your profile.

Your goal of transitioning from management consulting at MBB firms to private equity or venture capital is ambitious but achievable. The master's programs you're targeting can provide a strong foundation for your desired career path.

Overall, your profile appears strong, with a competitive academic background, relevant work experience, leadership experience, and involvement in extracurricular activities. While admission decisions depend on various factors, including the applicant pool and specific program requirements, you have a good chance of being admitted to reputable universities in the UK and Canada. Keep focusing on your GMAT preparation, crafting strong essays, and showcasing your experiences and goals effectively in your applications.

We offer a limited number of complimentary profile evaluations each week . We match you with the students and alums of top B-Schools according to your background and target schools. In this call, the experts will try to dig out your USP for top B-schools and provide you with honest feedback on your profile and chances to your target schools.

Book a free profile evaluation call now!

Good luck with your application process!
Neha Hadke
Strategy Manager
Testimonials
Meet our Panel of Consultants.
Email: neha@mbaandbeyond.com
MBA and Beyond

Pekho wrote:
Hi All!

Background and nationality
I am a 23 year old planning to apply for the 2024 September masters intake in the UK/Canada.

Nationality: Eastern European, however have been in the UK for over 9 years (GCSE -> A-level -> Degree -> 2 years of work experience)

Undergrad Information
BSc in Accounting & Finance from a well-known University (not Oxbridge or LSE, but up there, consistently top 10 in the UK for this degree)

Finished with a 1st class with honours, graduated in 2021 (Side question, does this translate to a 4.0 GPA in Canada??). Second year averaged 2:1, third year a very strong 1st.

GMAT
Currently studying for GMAT using TTP (started 2 weeks ago). First mock - 650. Aiming for 730 in September, been doing and am planning to continue doing 21 hrs pw.

Work experience and leadership
Just under 2 years experience working at Deloitte in audit, very clear progression. Worked only on two clients, both huge names in the finance sector.
Associate -> Senior Associate in 6 months
Senior Associate -> Assistant Manager in a year
Assistant Manager - current role.

Worked as an operational analyst/consultant (Whatever sounds better) at an established hotel for 4 months straight after graduation, before Deloitte.

Have a very strong leadership achievement at uni - was elected by students with 600+ votes to represent the business school students in relation to student proposed policy matters. This was during covid, so worked on a lot of policies related to changing the education processes to remote, etc.

Some other stuff like volunteering, being a part of my Uni's investment fund (and then overseeing analysts in my second year in the fund), but nothing major.

Universities & Programmes I am interested in applying to:

UK:
LBS (MSc Finance)
LSE (MSc Finance/MSc Finance and Economic/MSc Accounting and Finance (MSc Finance interests me the most, but realistically I feel like I have the highest chance of getting into the MSc Accounting and Finance programme))
Judge (MFin)
Said (MSc Financial Economics)

Thoughts: LBS and Said are probably the less realistic options.

Canada:
Rotman (MFE)
UBC (MBAN)
McGill (MMF or MMA)

Thoughts: MFE in Rotman is the most competitive one, but UBC and McGill should be very do-able

Post Masters goals (current): MBB Management Consulting -> Private Equity/Venture Capital

Just want to know where I stand. Some days I think that I have great odds, especially if I get a high GMAT, put a tonne of time into my essays, etc. Other days, I think there is no chance.

Thank you for your time!
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 411 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
Send PM
Pekho, here is your Profile Evaluation! [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Pekho wrote:
Hi All!

Background and nationality
I am a 23 year old planning to apply for the 2024 September masters intake in the UK/Canada.

Nationality: Eastern European, however have been in the UK for over 9 years (GCSE -> A-level -> Degree -> 2 years of work experience)

Undergrad Information
BSc in Accounting & Finance from a well-known University (not Oxbridge or LSE, but up there, consistently top 10 in the UK for this degree)

Finished with a 1st class with honours, graduated in 2021 (Side question, does this translate to a 4.0 GPA in Canada??). Second year averaged 2:1, third year a very strong 1st.

GMAT
Currently studying for GMAT using TTP (started 2 weeks ago). First mock - 650. Aiming for 730 in September, been doing and am planning to continue doing 21 hrs pw.

Work experience and leadership
Just under 2 years experience working at Deloitte in audit, very clear progression. Worked only on two clients, both huge names in the finance sector.
Associate -> Senior Associate in 6 months
Senior Associate -> Assistant Manager in a year
Assistant Manager - current role.

Worked as an operational analyst/consultant (Whatever sounds better) at an established hotel for 4 months straight after graduation, before Deloitte.

Have a very strong leadership achievement at uni - was elected by students with 600+ votes to represent the business school students in relation to student proposed policy matters. This was during covid, so worked on a lot of policies related to changing the education processes to remote, etc.

Some other stuff like volunteering, being a part of my Uni's investment fund (and then overseeing analysts in my second year in the fund), but nothing major.

Universities & Programmes I am interested in applying to:

UK:
LBS (MSc Finance)
LSE (MSc Finance/MSc Finance and Economic/MSc Accounting and Finance (MSc Finance interests me the most, but realistically I feel like I have the highest chance of getting into the MSc Accounting and Finance programme))
Judge (MFin)
Said (MSc Financial Economics)

Thoughts: LBS and Said are probably the less realistic options.

Canada:
Rotman (MFE)
UBC (MBAN)
McGill (MMF or MMA)

Thoughts: MFE in Rotman is the most competitive one, but UBC and McGill should be very do-able

Post Masters goals (current): MBB Management Consulting -> Private Equity/Venture Capital

Just want to know where I stand. Some days I think that I have great odds, especially if I get a high GMAT, put a tonne of time into my essays, etc. Other days, I think there is no chance.

Thank you for your time!

Hey Pekho,

You've spent over nine years in the UK, showcasing your familiarity and successful integration into UK society. Emphasize this in your application to highlight your cultural adaptability.

Your impressive undergraduate degree in Accounting & Finance from a well-known university holds weight, even if the GPA conversion may not be direct. Provide context about the grading system in the UK and additional information to help assess your academic performance accurately.

Your dedication to studying for the GMAT using TTP is commendable. Track your progress with mock exams and explore resources like tutors or online courses to boost your score.

Highlight your work experience at Deloitte, emphasizing valuable skills gained in audit. Showcase leadership instances like leading complex projects and improving processes. Quantify achievements and mention recognition received.

Describe your active participation in the student body and investment fund, emphasizing responsibilities and accomplishments that contributed to your development.

Tailor your application to specific universities and programs, explaining your interest and alignment with career goals. Ensure prerequisites match your background.

Clarify motivations for post-master's goals in management consulting, private equity, or venture capital. Articulate how programs will equip you with needed skills.

Craft compelling essays showcasing unique qualities and request strong recommendations. Consider professional development activities.

Incorporating examples of leadership and impact will strengthen your profile for admission.

If you need more help, we'd be happy to set up a call and give more pointers on how to improve your profile and the right schools you should target.
You can setup a call via this link:
https://bit.ly/3DSH5km
GMAT Club Bot
Pekho, here is your Profile Evaluation! [#permalink]