GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Dec 2018, 07:22

Expecting Soon:

R1 Admission Decisions from McCombs - Join Chat Room for Latest Updates

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile review Energy Sphere

new topic post reply Update application status  
Manager
Manager
B
Profile review Energy Sphere  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2018, 22:31
Hi Team,

Can you please evaluate my profile and let me know my likelihood of getting into one of the B-Schools listed below.

I am a Petroleum Data Analyst from Petrolink International Ltd. I currently hold 3.5 years of experience, which will become 4+ before entering B School. Before Data Analyst, I worked as geologist in Focus Energy Ltd. There's an employment gap though, After completing about 2 year at Focus, I went for Master of Technology (2 year course) in Petroleum Technology and after passing out in 2015, I was not successful in getting placed for about a year. Therefore I used that year to work in a Charitable trust as trainer in petroleum engineering at Hyderabad meanwhile preparing for various exams like gate, gre and gmat. My Goal is to become a Operations Management Consultant or business Analyst and I am open to any culture and demographic.

My past Score:
720 July 2018

My Alma-mater:
Andhra University, Vishakapatnam - GPA - 8.9, Masters in Technology Petroleum Exploration and production
University of Petroleum and Energy Studies, Dehradun (Top 10 Earth Science Institure in Asia PAcific at the time of admission) - CGPA: 2.75/4, UG in Geo-Informatics Engineering.
Delhi Publis School : 78 %
St. Francis Convent School : 76%

My work experience include:
1 years 8 months as a Mud Logging Geologist - Worked to gather and analyse drilling data to make the whole exploration of hydrocarbon process safer and as detailed as possible. Because of this work exp I have developed a good understanding on exploration operation techniques
1 year 4 month as a Petroleum Data Analyst - Client's are Chevron, Hess, Shell and Saudi Aramco. Working as a support and Techno-functional role at client cite in drilling operations. As a Petroleum Data Analyst had to learn a complete new technology like Data Analytical tools (SAS, R , Python, Algorithm Building) to model and visualize terabytes of drilling data generated in real time.

Schools am aiming for:
ISB
INSEAD
Rotman
Jones Business School (Houston)
MIT (if possible)

please i do require a honest grading from ambitious to inside my strike zone. Can you please suggest some schools that are under my wing so that it can lay in line with my future goals and aid me in becoming a better Operations Manager or Business Analyst

Please note that: My nationality is Indian

Waiting with fingers crossed.
Thank you,
Best Regards
Suel

A normal MBA Aspirant(Age: 27, not much of a extra curricular person).
Admissionado
P
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Re: Profile review Energy Sphere  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2018, 19:28
As you probably know, you're coming from the toughest demographic out there when it comes to b-school apps and also one that tends to have very high GMAT scores (740+). If you can get your GMAT up at all that will help your candidacy. The gap in employment will be a bit of a concern most likely but a higher GMAT could help outweigh that & it's good that you are currently working. It's much harder to apply when the employment gap is happening now! And although you have an engineering background (the most common background) the fact that you are in the energy industry will be a differentiating factor.

In terms of target schools, I think you have a good shot at ISB, Jones & Rotman. INSEAD & MIT are going to be quite a reach & my advice would be to aim a bit lower. Emory, UNC & Tepper would be a bit of a reach but you would still have a shot at them. In our experience they tend to admit more applicants in your demographic than other schools tend to. And I think you'd be competitive at schools ranked 20-30 (we use US News & World Report).

Hope that helps!

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

==

***NEW Admissionado Products & Services! ***

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Now, read up and get smart:

That'll get you started. Still have questions? Reach out, and let’s gab. 
Our only requirement is that you don’t prefer warm milk over cold milk. Everyone else, 100% welcome.

Email: claudia@admissionado.com
Young People: WhatsApp or WeChat (@JonFrankHBS)
Older: FacebookTwitterLinkedIn 
Oldest: 866-409-4753

Manager
Manager
B
Profile review Energy Sphere  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2018, 01:48
JonAdmissionado wrote:

As you probably know, you're coming from the toughest demographic out there when it comes to b-school apps and also one that tends to have very high GMAT scores (740+). If you can get your GMAT up at all that will help your candidacy. The gap in employment will be a bit of a concern most likely but a higher GMAT could help outweigh that & it's good that you are currently working. It's much harder to apply when the employment gap is happening now! And although you have an engineering background (the most common background) the fact that you are in the energy industry will be a differentiating factor.

In terms of target schools, I think you have a good shot at ISB, Jones & Rotman. INSEAD & MIT are going to be quite a reach & my advice would be to aim a bit lower. Emory, UNC & Tepper would be a bit of a reach but you would still have a shot at them. In our experience they tend to admit more applicants in your demographic than other schools tend to. And I think you'd be competitive at schools ranked 20-30 (we use US News & World Report).

Hope that helps!

Hey Jon,

Regarding GMAT score, I will reappear for exam. And as far as work exp is concerned, It was not a complete gap - I did worked part time (3-4 days a week) at a charitable trust to teach engineering subjects (esp. petroleum engineering) to poor and backward students. While preparing for exams (GRE GMAT) and to keep in touch with my subjects as well. Hope this explains the employment gap.

I understand about MIT, but for INSEAD what score should I target (i would like to apply there as well)?

Thanks a lot
Admissionado
P
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Re: Profile review Energy Sphere  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2018, 17:52
Ideally you want to hit a 740+ for both MIT & INSEAD given your demographic. And although you were working part time, it will still be a bit of a hurdle since it was not in a business role & sounds like it was more of a volunteer position? It's not the end of the world, but it will mean your essays need to be that much stronger to compensate.

Hope that helps!

Best,
Julie

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

==

***NEW Admissionado Products & Services! ***

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Now, read up and get smart:

That'll get you started. Still have questions? Reach out, and let’s gab. 
Our only requirement is that you don’t prefer warm milk over cold milk. Everyone else, 100% welcome.

Email: claudia@admissionado.com
Young People: WhatsApp or WeChat (@JonFrankHBS)
Older: FacebookTwitterLinkedIn 
Oldest: 866-409-4753

Profile review Energy Sphere

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: JonAdmissionado

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap