GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Feb 2019, 08:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in February
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Review for unusual military career path

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
Profile Review for unusual military career path  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Feb 2019, 13:35
Hi everyone,

I wanted to get a general review on my profile as I have a relatively unusual career path. My information is as follows:

Race/Gender: White Male

Undergrad: West Point, 3.4 GPA, top 20% graduate, Russian major with cyber engineering minor

WE: 1 year as financial analyst for big 4 US bank (JP Morgan, Bank of America, Wells Fargo, Citi Bank), 1 promotion, high ratings for position based on performance, top ratings for leadership due to teamwork and fixing issues in office. Heavily active in veteran recruiting, work with internal team member networks to travel to recruiting events and speak on panels in order to help veterans transitioning into civilian world.

2 years as Army officer, 1 promotion, lead platoon of 50 soldiers with top ratings, left service early due to severe injury sustained while on active duty (during a simulated combat event, not during deployment), technically "disabled veteran" although injury is not something as visible as a missing limb, etc. No deployments, missed deployment due to injury.

GMAT: 750 (50Q 42V 8 IR 6 AWA)

EC: Boxing, iOS coding (developing apps), Chess, volunteer for organization that helps veterans with the transition into the civilian world (volunteer work primarily consists of interview coaching, career consulting, resume revisions)

Goals post MBA: I want to switch from finance to management consulting. Primary focus is to get back into a problem solving/ leadership role that is people focused because I feel as though that is where my strengths shine.

Schools: Dartmouth Tuck, Yale SOM, Cornell Johnson

My essays will likely focus on how I was able to deal with a major life altering event and translate it into a success on a path that I had no previous experience in. I plan on applying this fall to attend in 2020. My main question is how should I angle my profile in order to be successful at my target schools? Also curious if I should consider more M7 schools, I previously have not considered them due to my relatively low GPA.

Thank you!
Admissionado
P
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Re: Profile Review for unusual military career path  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2019, 20:13
I think you have a solid candidacy & should target more top 10 schools. Admissions committees LOVE military applicants (even if you weren't deployed), plus you've got a very strong GMAT. Yes, it would be ideal if your GPA was higher, but I wouldn't stress about it given the other strengths in your application. It's not going to be a big deal. In terms of which schools to target, you'll be well positioned for consulting at any top 10 school, so I'd zero in on the ones where you feel the most cultural fit. If you like Tuck, you'd likely like Kellogg & Haas as well since the cultures are so similar.

In terms of your goals, you'll want to have a strong, specific story for both your ST (immediately upon graduation) as well as your LT (~10 years post graduation) goals. It's fine to name consulting in the ST, but you'll want to be ready to speak to what you plan to do in the LT as well. And you want to be sure your ST goal is the very best preparation for your LT goal. Consulting can set you up well to either 1) continue in consulting & become a partner or 2) move in house to a strategy role - but then you'll want to be able to name the specific industry you plan to transition to & why. Ultimately, it all hinges on your LT goal. The purpose of your ST goal is to be the very best preparation for your LT goal and the purpose of the MBA is to prepare you for both (i.e., via the skill gaps that you'll fill). So definitely do some thinking there. And if you need any help at all reach out to Claudia at claudia@admissionado.com. She can get you set up with a free consultation with one of our MBA consultants!

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

==

***NEW Admissionado Products & Services! ***

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Now, read up and get smart:

That'll get you started. Still have questions? Reach out, and let’s gab. 
Our only requirement is that you don’t prefer warm milk over cold milk. Everyone else, 100% welcome.

Email: claudia@admissionado.com
Young People: WhatsApp or WeChat (@JonFrankHBS)
Older: FacebookTwitterLinkedIn 
Oldest: 866-409-4753

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2019, 17:52
Thank you for your help! I'll reach out to Claudia.
Admissionado
P
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School

Show Tags

New post 06 Feb 2019, 11:00
Awesome! Heard you are all set up with Julie Bowman - she is one of our most experienced consultants so you are in excellent hands.

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

==

***NEW Admissionado Products & Services! ***

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Now, read up and get smart:

That'll get you started. Still have questions? Reach out, and let’s gab. 
Our only requirement is that you don’t prefer warm milk over cold milk. Everyone else, 100% welcome.

Email: claudia@admissionado.com
Young People: WhatsApp or WeChat (@JonFrankHBS)
Older: FacebookTwitterLinkedIn 
Oldest: 866-409-4753

Profile Review for unusual military career path

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: Admissionado

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap