GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Nov 2018, 07:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Review Request: 2nd Generation Hispanic Male

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
Profile Review Request: 2nd Generation Hispanic Male  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Mar 2018, 19:43
Hello!

Thank you for taking the time to review my profile and provide any insight. My request is to gauge my profile and probability of acceptance to a top 15 program.

GMAT: 680
Undergrad: 3.30 GPA Finance Major (Top 10 Public University (#40th +/- overall))
Graduate: 3.86 GPA Masters in Accounting (Top 20 Public University (#50th +/- overall))
Experience: AVP Commercial/Investment Banking experience at a top 4 bank (7 years)
Personal: 1st in Family to be born in the USA (Mother and Father were born in South America), 1st in Family to go to college, 1st in Family to graduate from Masters. Product of inner city schools and disadvantaged socioeconomic background (free or reduced lunch).
Involvement: Volunteer to advise students from similar backgrounds on college preparation and career goals.
Post goals: Investment Bank at the same institution I am currently employed.

Please let me know if I should elaborate on anything else. Thank you in advance!
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
G
Reviews Badge
Re: Profile Review Request: 2nd Generation Hispanic Male  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Mar 2018, 18:16
Hi there!

Thanks for reaching out. You've got a solid academic background, and especially great to see that increasing trend in your GPAs. Hard to evaluate the quality of your work experience, but I'll assume that given your title you've been a top performer and been promoted and have some good examples of leadership. I think your personal circumstances and story will have a big impact on your application chances and will give you a nice boost. It really says a lot about your ambition and strength of character. Definitely highlight that wherever possible.

One thing to be thinking about is that you are a bit on the more experienced side for full-time MBA programs, though since you're not planning to make a big career switch, that will hopefully be less of an issue. Just make sure you've got clear and compelling reasons you can articulate for why you want to get your MBA at this point in your career.

Overall I think Top 15 schools are possible for you -- I worry a bit about the very top ones, like H/S/W, those will still be reaches, but as long as you have a range of options within the top 15, I think you should have high chances of acceptance. You may want to think about schools that are more known for general management, like Kellogg or Ross, as you could position your story as wanting to branch out from the finance/accounting background and elevate your management and leadership skills. Just a thought.

Best of luck, and keep us posted if we can help with anything else.
Kate

Jbeta wrote:
Hello!

Thank you for taking the time to review my profile and provide any insight. My request is to gauge my profile and probability of acceptance to a top 15 program.

GMAT: 680
Undergrad: 3.30 GPA Finance Major (Top 10 Public University (#40th +/- overall))
Graduate: 3.86 GPA Masters in Accounting (Top 20 Public University (#50th +/- overall))
Experience: AVP Commercial/Investment Banking experience at a top 4 bank (7 years)
Personal: 1st in Family to be born in the USA (Mother and Father were born in South America), 1st in Family to go to college, 1st in Family to graduate from Masters. Product of inner city schools and disadvantaged socioeconomic background (free or reduced lunch).
Involvement: Volunteer to advise students from similar backgrounds on college preparation and career goals.
Post goals: Investment Bank at the same institution I am currently employed.

Please let me know if I should elaborate on anything else. Thank you in advance!

Kate Richardson
mbaMission Senior Consultant and Chicago Booth Alum
http://www.mbamission.com
Read our school insider's guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 15 Mar 2018, 17:01
Hi Kate!

Thank you so much for reviewing my profile and giving me insight. I really appreciate it! I will keep mbaMission and yourself in mind once I get closer to putting my package together. Looking forward to keeping you in the loop. Again, thank you!

Regards,

Jbeta

mbaMissionKate
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
G
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2018, 19:28
Great! Yes, keep me posted on how things go and if you need any help!
-Kate

Jbeta wrote:
Hi Kate!

Thank you so much for reviewing my profile and giving me insight. I really appreciate it! I will keep mbaMission and yourself in mind once I get closer to putting my package together. Looking forward to keeping you in the loop. Again, thank you!

Regards,

Jbeta

mbaMissionKate

Kate Richardson
mbaMission Senior Consultant and Chicago Booth Alum
http://www.mbamission.com
Read our school insider's guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders

Profile Review Request: 2nd Generation Hispanic Male

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: mbaMissionKate

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap