GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 11 Dec 2019, 22:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Profile Review Request

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
Profile Review Request  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Nov 2019, 19:35
Shooting for deferred programs at HBS, Wharton, Stanford, CBS, MIT but feel free to lmk what I should do to make me stronger if I don't get in this time around :)

Background

Work experience:

Engineer 1 samsung (start Jan 2021): Work in process improvement to wafer fab (idk specifics yet)

Engineering Intern (x2) samsung (Summer 2019/Summer 2020): lots of application development to decrease time spent on routine tasks (automated one task from 2 hr/wk to 6 min/yr and automated some tools to perform maintenance automatically, saved 2 hours per maintenance), identified a possible link between tool equipment and defects in product

R&D Engineering Intern @ Medium Sized Semiconductor Supplier: built a database of materials they used, and did statistical analysis between two tools to qualify one for us

Extra curricular:

Volunteer at a VC/Startup incubator in Santa Monica (starting next week lol this is new)

VP of school's chemical engineering club

Published author in a scientific journal/on campus research in chemistry

Head chemical engineering tutor on campus, work for engineering dept

Volunteer at dog shelter (cuz I'm a dog lover not really helpful for MBA stuff I'd imagine)

Undergrad school/major: University of Southern California/ B.S. Chemical Engineering

Other education/coursework: USC M.S. Materials Engineering (4+1)

Race/nationality: Indian/ American

Sex: Male

Stats

GMAT Score (include breakdown!): 750 (42V/50Q) 5 AWA 7 IR (i was dumb and burnt out for these last two, idk if it's a huge deal?)

Undergrad GPA: 3.63 (I think this is a tad low?)

MBA Info

Goal of MBA: Want to work in either operations as a COO at some point in the future for a materials company or at a VC that invests in such companies; would want to do a concentration in Business Analytics or Operations (maybe both)

Target schools: HBS 2+2, MIT Deferred, Stanford GSB Deferred, Columbia Deferred, Wharton Deferred, UVA Darden Deferred (if I don't get in deferred, like the same schools and UT McCombs, NYU Stern in a couple years)
Admissionado
D
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Re: Profile Review Request  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Nov 2019, 10:27
Hi kutagull,

I always love seeing applicants who are preparing early and thinking ahead! There's no substitute for that.

First, your academic credentials are quite strong overall. Great GMAT score -- I wouldn't be too concerned about your AWA or IR scores -- and solid engineering credentials. It's true that your GPA isn't ideal, but it's not your high GMAT score compensates for that to an extent.

The main area that I would advise you focus on over the next 1-2 years is beefing up your exposure to business management. The work experience that you've already had at Samsung and that you're teeing up for the immediate future at the same company definitely reinforces your technical skills, but for MBA applications, admissions committees will want evidence that you're not just going to be the top engineer at Samsung or any other tech company, but that you're going to be a top business leader. Since your extracurriculars at USC as well as your internships were all pretty focused on engineering, you have a bit of an uphill climb in this regard. Your volunteer work at the incubator could be a great channel to increase your business exposure, and I would also recommend that you do as much as you can to get involved with the business side of your new team at Samsung as well. This could be asking your boss to include you in business operations and sales / marketing meetings, or raising your hand for projects and committees that will expose you to the non-technical aspects of your product line. You don't want to get pigeonholed as "yet another" Indian male who is a stellar engineer but who doesn't have the skills, aptitude, or interest to manage a division or lead a company someday. Now's a great time to ensure that you don't get stuck in the lab!
Intern
Intern
B
Re: Profile Review Request  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Nov 2019, 11:48
Hi! Thanks for the post, I was also considering applying to some of the deferred programs. How would you say my prospects are for those? I'm considering 2+2, Stanford GSB deferred, MIT Sloan Deferred and Columbia Deferred. Could you give me a little feedback as far as that? I think in that case, they prefer STEM over business people based on what I've heard right? I think my GPA is a bit low for at least HBS 2+2 but not sure if my GMAT helps there or now

Profile Review Request

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: Admissionado