GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 24 Sep 2018, 16:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Programming for Quantitative Finance/Quant experts

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
P
Concentration: Finance
Premium Member CAT Tests
Programming for Quantitative Finance/Quant experts  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 20 Jul 2018, 12:47
Hi diligent GMAT Club members,

I was wondering, do people from quantitative finance, mathematical finance, financial engineering graduates, etc. or quant job experts would be kind to recommend what would be useful to learn from available programming languages for quantitative finance either academically or even more for quant jobs on the market.

If there are people here who already apply this in their everyday quantitative analyst or trading job, I assume they will be most suitable to recommend, but everyone else are welcomed to contribute as per their insights and knowledge.

I had already certain programs in my mind, but feel free to add in your recommendation/reply if you feel its needed :

Wolfram Mathematica

Python

C++

R

Matlab

Thank you in advance gmat club/quant community :cool:

Your kudos are much appreciated

Originally posted by billionaire on 19 Jul 2018, 09:22.
Last edited by billionaire on 20 Jul 2018, 12:47, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 650 Q42 V38
GRE 1: Q161 V164
Re: Programming for Quantitative Finance/Quant experts  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2018, 12:38
billionaire wrote:

I was wondering, do people from quantitative finance, mathematical finance, financial engineering graduates, etc. or quant job experts would be kind to recommend what would be useful to learn from available programming languages for quantitative finance either academically or even more for quant jobs on the market.

If there are people here who already apply this in their everyday quantitative analyst or trading job, I assume they will be most suitable to recommend, but everyone else are welcomed to contribute as per their insights and knowledge.

I had already certain programs in my mind, but feel free to add in your recommendation/reply if you feel its needed :

Wolfram Mathematica

Python

C++

R

Mathlab

First of all, it's not called MATHLAB, it's called MATLAB
secondly, I've not seen matlab used to frequently in shops which employ quants heavily- most of the friends I know that use it primarily use it for electrical engineering applications

from what I know, C and C++ would be your best bet. I think R's application is fairly limited, so would not recommend learning it to embellish your resume

NYC based Verbal and Writing tutor; taking clients pro bono atm

Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 650 Q42 V38
GRE 1: Q161 V164

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2018, 12:40
Also, I forgot to mention that while matlab does offer a free version (I think) of its software, it is an extremely limited version.
The full version of matlab can run into the thousands of dollars, and unlike some other subscription services or torrentable programs, matlab is not widely available to be downloaded, so I think that makes this an even stronger case for why you shouldn't bother learning it.

NYC based Verbal and Writing tutor; taking clients pro bono atm

Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
P
Concentration: Finance
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2018, 11:19
yamato wrote:
billionaire wrote:

Wolfram Mathematica

Python

C++

R

Mathlab

First of all, it's not called MATHLAB, it's called MATLAB
secondly, I've not seen matlab used to frequently in shops which employ quants heavily- most of the friends I know that use it primarily use it for electrical engineering applications

from what I know, C and C++ would be your best bet. I think R's application is fairly limited, so would not recommend learning it to embellish your resume

Hi yamato

I know it is Matlab. :)

But every time I write it, I subconsciously go for math prefix because of obvious logic association.

Moreover, the program itself is developed by MathWorks :)

I will try to remember that MATLAB actually stands for Matrix Laboratory to avoid confusion in writing in future.

I believe you referred to Octave as free substitute for Matlab.

I always for some reason, deemed C++ as ancient and not very modern solution, but I guess I was wrong.

Thank you for inputs and opinion, I have corrected the name above.

Your kudos are much appreciated

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Programming for Quantitative Finance/Quant experts &nbs [#permalink] 21 Jul 2018, 11:19

Programming for Quantitative Finance/Quant experts

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap