GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Aug 2019, 17:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Programs like Stanford MSX - Residential 1 year program

  new topic post reply Update application status  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 01 Aug 2019
Posts: 5
WE: General Management (Computer Software)
Programs like Stanford MSX - Residential 1 year program  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2019, 11:49
Community, I am in my mid Career - 10 YoE | Senior Product Manager @ Microsoft ( 5 Yrs PM, 5 Yrs Software Engg.)

Stanford MSx is looking very attractive, but want to evaluate similar 1 year residential programs as well.

Why residential program:
[*]What to have focused study time. Work is too demanding to do justice to both the things.
[*]Looking for deep engagement with other students to internalize more.

Why 1 year:
[*] 1 year focused effort should be good.

Post College Motivation : Stay in software field. Move to leadership roles.

What other programs would you recommend for me to consider ?
Director
Director
avatar
G
Joined: 29 Aug 2010
Posts: 565
Re: Programs like Stanford MSX - Residential 1 year program  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2019, 22:41
1
aankur, I am assuming you are already aware of the 3 Sloan Fellows programs, not just Stan MSx?

Though you'd have to assess the fit and prospects, you may also want to evaluate some of these top one year MBA programs out there.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
_________________
MG (Manish Gupta)|The MBA Crystal Ball Team

Website: http://www.mbacrystalball.com
Email: mcb at mbacrystalball dot com
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 01 Aug 2019
Posts: 5
WE: General Management (Computer Software)
Re: Programs like Stanford MSX - Residential 1 year program  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2019, 05:39
Thanks.yes I am aware of other Sloan Fellows. However called out Stanford coz of preference.but point taken . thanks.



Are there any top one year MBA programs which has average experience of about 8-10 yrs? A dip water test resulted in max of five years avg experience.

Posted from my mobile device
Director
Director
avatar
G
Joined: 29 Aug 2010
Posts: 565
Re: Programs like Stanford MSX - Residential 1 year program  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2019, 05:53
aankur, afraid not. There are the 3 IIM one year programs where you won't be an outlier, provided you are ok with life/career in India.

You can also explore Nanyang Fellows.

Read here on the average age/experience range at top colleges globally.
_________________
MG (Manish Gupta)|The MBA Crystal Ball Team

Website: http://www.mbacrystalball.com
Email: mcb at mbacrystalball dot com
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 01 Aug 2019
Posts: 5
WE: General Management (Computer Software)
Re: Programs like Stanford MSX - Residential 1 year program  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2019, 06:29
Thanks for sharing the blog. helpful content.
So essentially other than Sloan fellows there are no full-time program tailored for mid career professionals.

Seems like an unaddressed market, wierd ..unless we are missing some courses

Posted from my mobile device
INSEAD School Moderator
User avatar
D
Status: MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Joined: 24 Mar 2015
Posts: 2233
Farrell D Hehn: MBA
Re: Programs like Stanford MSX - Residential 1 year program  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2019, 07:29
1
Stanford MSX and Sloan fellows are the best programs out there for mid-career professionals, USC has a program called the BEAR MBA mainly geared toward mid-career professionals who want to get into consulting. other than that, indeed you would look at one year programs. most of the top Executive MBA programs have a residency component , if that makes a difference. Look up Wharton emba as a good example of that.

if you're open to Europe, you would look at IMD maybe which is a little more slanted towards experienced professionals. And then just European programs in general like more seasoned applicants.

When people have that much work experience the opportunity cost of leaving their job is generally too high for them to want to do a full-time program. So that might be why there isn't as much of a selection as you would like.

="aankur"]Thanks for sharing the blog. helpful content.
So essentially other than Sloan fellows there are no full-time program tailored for mid career professionals.

Seems like an unaddressed market, wierd ..unless we are missing some courses

Posted from my mobile device[/quote]
_________________
Farrell Dyan, MBA Admissions Consultant
Verified reviews posted on http://MBAPrepCoach.com
Director
Director
avatar
G
Joined: 29 Aug 2010
Posts: 565
Programs like Stanford MSX - Residential 1 year program  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2019, 08:57
aankur wrote:
Thanks for sharing the blog. helpful content.
So essentially other than Sloan fellows there are no full-time program tailored for mid career professionals.

Seems like an unaddressed market, wierd ..unless we are missing some courses



aankur, not really. There is a reason why MBA after 30 is tricky.

Also, there are almost always exceptions present in all schools in your age/experience range. It's just that if you do plan to be an exception, you should have done your research well.
_________________
MG (Manish Gupta)|The MBA Crystal Ball Team

Website: http://www.mbacrystalball.com
Email: mcb at mbacrystalball dot com
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 01 Aug 2019
Posts: 5
WE: General Management (Computer Software)
Re: Programs like Stanford MSX - Residential 1 year program  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2019, 10:37
MG4MBACrystalBall wrote:
aankur wrote:
Thanks for sharing the blog. helpful content.
So essentially other than Sloan fellows there are no full-time program tailored for mid career professionals.

Seems like an unaddressed market, wierd ..unless we are missing some courses





Also, there are almost always exceptions present in all schools in your age/experience range. It's just that if you do plan to be an exception, you should have done your research well.



I guess there is some Gap in understanding. I am not looking for a regular 2 yr MBA. But an executive and residential program.
With my research Executive programs caters to around 10 YoE but were either online or with weekend program - Other than Sloan.

Wharton EMBA, contrary to suggested earlier,is also a weekend class program.


Allow me to give more context - I am not based out of US and wish to move there to get my degree. Part time / Weekend classes would be contingent on me getting a job there nearby.

Hence the question, if there are any executive courses which I can opt with residential program, would like to evaluate them.

In case I don't find these residential program will first move to US and then enroll in weekend/part time executive MBA.

Hope with this additional context,I can find more valuable insights on the forum.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 01 Aug 2019
Posts: 5
WE: General Management (Computer Software)
Re: Programs like Stanford MSX - Residential 1 year program  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2019, 11:15
MBAPrepCoach wrote:
Stanford MSX and Sloan fellows are the best programs out there for mid-career professionals, USC has a program called the BEAR MBA mainly geared toward mid-career professionals who want to get into consulting. other than that, indeed you would look at one year programs. most of the top Executive MBA programs have a residency component , if that makes a difference. Look up Wharton emba as a good example of that.

if you're open to Europe, you would look at IMD maybe which is a little more slanted towards experienced professionals. And then just European programs in general like more seasoned applicants.

When people have that much work experience the opportunity cost of leaving their job is generally too high for them to want to do a full-time program. So that might be why there isn't as much of a selection as you would like.

="aankur"]Thanks for sharing the blog. helpful content.
So essentially other than Sloan fellows there are no full-time program tailored for mid career professionals.

Seems like an unaddressed market, wierd ..unless we are missing some courses

Posted from my mobile device
[/quote]


Thanks for your response. With my research it seems that Wharton EMBA is also weekend program not a residential.

I agree with your analysis on few choices. IMD is a good option will evaluate. Thanks.

Will appreciate any other suitable programs you can share.
INSEAD School Moderator
User avatar
D
Status: MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Joined: 24 Mar 2015
Posts: 2233
Farrell D Hehn: MBA
Programs like Stanford MSX - Residential 1 year program  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2019, 13:37
Given your parameters, indeed the choices narrow to Sloan Fellows Stanford MSx or UCS Bear as "official" mid career programs in the US. But US one year programs traditionally enroll more experienced candidates; many of which have 10 years of experience. Includes Kellogg, Cornell, Emory.

IMD markets themselves as mid-career but other 1-year MBA programs in Europe have the same average age of 30. European schools look at work experience more so than test scores. Ivey is a similar situation in Ontario, Canada. see international programs here; also might check out ESADE or IE Intl MBA.
https://mbaessaycoaching.com/top-program-deadlines/

Most programs are 1 year aside from IESE, which is a great value, top ranked and has accepted several of my older candidates. Like this past round a 35-year old Indian female and a 34-year old Lebanese guy. They both have extensive leadership experience.

aankur wrote:
MBAPrepCoach wrote:
Stanford MSX and Sloan fellows are the best programs out there for mid-career professionals, USC has a program called the BEAR MBA mainly geared toward mid-career professionals who want to get into consulting. other than that, indeed you would look at one year programs. most of the top Executive MBA programs have a residency component , if that makes a difference. Look up Wharton emba as a good example of that.

if you're open to Europe, you would look at IMD maybe which is a little more slanted towards experienced professionals. And then just European programs in general like more seasoned applicants.

When people have that much work experience the opportunity cost of leaving their job is generally too high for them to want to do a full-time program. So that might be why there isn't as much of a selection as you would like.

="aankur"]Thanks for sharing the blog. helpful content.
So essentially other than Sloan fellows there are no full-time program tailored for mid career professionals.

Seems like an unaddressed market, wierd ..unless we are missing some courses

Posted from my mobile device



Thanks for your response. With my research it seems that Wharton EMBA is also weekend program not a residential.

I agree with your analysis on few choices. IMD is a good option will evaluate. Thanks.

Will appreciate any other suitable programs you can share.[/quote]
_________________
Farrell Dyan, MBA Admissions Consultant
Verified reviews posted on http://MBAPrepCoach.com
Director
Director
avatar
G
Joined: 29 Aug 2010
Posts: 565
Re: Programs like Stanford MSX - Residential 1 year program  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2019, 21:44
aankur wrote:

I guess there is some Gap in understanding. I am not looking for a regular 2 yr MBA. But an executive and residential program.
With my research Executive programs caters to around 10 YoE but were either online or with weekend program - Other than Sloan.

Wharton EMBA, contrary to suggested earlier,is also a weekend class program.


Allow me to give more context - I am not based out of US and wish to move there to get my degree. Part time / Weekend classes would be contingent on me getting a job there nearby.

Hence the question, if there are any executive courses which I can opt with residential program, would like to evaluate them.

In case I don't find these residential program will first move to US and then enroll in weekend/part time executive MBA.

Hope with this additional context,I can find more valuable insights on the forum.




Nope, no gap in understanding. On the contrary, you may have this common nomenclature confusion between MBA for Executives vs Executive MBA.

So far, I have given you suggestion on full-time programs only and no EMBAs. My last suggestion was for full-time programs and I had already shared one year programs, including the ones in US. The point I was making was that even in regular full-time programs (2 year or 1 year), there are always exceptions with folks in 10+ years experience category.

Hope this clarifies.
_________________
MG (Manish Gupta)|The MBA Crystal Ball Team

Website: http://www.mbacrystalball.com
Email: mcb at mbacrystalball dot com
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Programs like Stanford MSX - Residential 1 year program   [#permalink] 02 Aug 2019, 21:44
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Programs like Stanford MSX - Residential 1 year program

  new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: DigitsnLetters






Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne