It is currently 13 Dec 2017, 10:35

Decision(s) Day!:

CHAT Rooms | Ross R1 | Kellogg R1 | Darden R1 | Tepper R1

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Promotion to a Different Team before R2 deadlines

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 5

Promotion to a Different Team before R2 deadlines [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2017, 09:29
Hello,

I will be shortly promoted from an individual contributor to a Leadership Role (Manager). Although this would entail a shift to a team that does more of the mundane work and less challenging assignments than my current team.

Since this promotion / switch comes very close to R2 deadline, I have a few questions :

1. In my apps, I want to highlight as little as possible of this new team and what it does, and focus strongly on my previous role. My apps will be centered around my consulting focussed work which I did in my previous team, while the new role is more reporting in nature. However, I wish to highlight this switch as its a leadership position and will show my growth in the organization. How do I have the best of both worlds ?

2. Do we really need to mention the specific team in the organization (Even in Resume)? Do the ad-coms validate ? The new team has a very Reporting-based Team Name, while my previous team had a very Consulting focussed name. I truly want to avoid the new team title as it might hamper with my essay storyline.

3. Given the nature and timing of this promotion, will this switch really add value ? I can decline this promotion if it will be detrimental to my apps.

Appreciate any help on this.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 5

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Promotion to a Different Team before R2 deadlines [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2017, 17:42
Hi there!

Congratulations on this new promotion. Sounds like by the 'title' you have moved up. I am an alum of a top 5 Global MBA program and here is my advice:

- In this new role, would you be practicing different skill sets? Would this promotion overall make you look well-rounded by having different set of responsibilities than the previous role? If that's the case, then it's a great to show a different side of you on your resume.

- It's your choice HOW you paint the picture of this promotion. With this mindset and attitude, the Ad-coms will take it as that - as face value. They don't know the details. It's what you tell them.

- From the tone of your question, I can sense a tug of war going on in your head. Perhaps, step back and see what the great points are about this promotion? The fact that you have gotten a promotion (to my definition a step up in the ladder, pay increase), is in fact fantastic and does need to be shared to demonstrate the great work you are doing.

- Since it is very near the R2 deadlines as you mentioned there will not be much time for you to deliver value/impact in this new role and then share results in the job essays. The Adcoms will see that you submitted the application in January and the promotion was in October. You can do a few things in here: talk to your referee and let them highlight the great impact you had and that you were promoted here (clearly highlighting that you moved UP the corporate ladder). If the job essays asked to talk about your current role, you can briefly state that you have gotten this promotion and what your mandate it is in this new role. And state that since you have been only for this brief amount of time, you will focus your job essay on the previous role which you were there for a longer time. The goal here is to write stories that will portray the BEST of you and make you look UNIQUE among the pool of competitive candidates.

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Promotion to a Different Team before R2 deadlines   [#permalink] 25 Oct 2017, 17:42

Promotion to a Different Team before R2 deadlines

new topic post reply Update application status  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap