GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 23 Oct 2018, 02:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

PROSPER Act Seeks to Eliminate Graduate PLUS/Subsidized Loans?

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
PROSPER Act Seeks to Eliminate Graduate PLUS/Subsidized Loans?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Apr 2018, 17:33
I wanted to get GMATClub's opinion on this. A December 2017 article from US News says that the PROSPER Act (proposed by Republicans on the House Committee on Education and the Workforce) is looking to eliminated both subsidized Federal loans and Graduate PLUS loans.

Potential Effects of PROSPER Act on Student Loans
Here's the key excerpts:
One loan, one grant: PROSPER includes the one loan, one grant idea for streamlining federal student aid into a single funding tool.
Policymakers and others have circulated this idea for years as a way to simplify the loan process. The bill proposes eliminating Stafford and PLUS loans for first-time borrowers as of July 1, 2019, and replacing these options with a new Federal ONE Loan.
Borrowers who had borrowed direct loans prior to 2019 could still take them out until Oct. 1, 2024, at which point direct loans would be phased out entirely in favor of ONE Loans.

No subsidized loans or origination fees: Under PROSPER, all loans in the ONE program would be unsubsidized. Additionally, all loan aid would be disbursed weekly or monthly, like a paycheck, rather than the current practice of one disbursement per semester. And all loan origination fees would be eliminated.

Tried to post the link but it looks like I have not been a member for long enough. Google "US News Potential Effects of PROSPER Act on Student Loans" for the article.

I'm concerned from what I'm reading. An MBA at a Top 20 averages $180k. If the PROSPER Act is enacted, this would force students to take out ~$120k in private loans (assuming no scholarship). Feel like this could drastically change the game for those pursuing MBAs (or graduate degrees in general).

What is the reaction from everyone else?
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: PROSPER Act Seeks to Eliminate Graduate PLUS/Subsidized Loans?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2018, 10:59
Thanks for posting!

I am not sure how many people have relied and used the Federal student loans to finance their MBA. I have used a private loan and I felt it was very affordable without any origination fees but one has to qualify for it, unlike the Federal ones that is available to anyone. I feel for a Top 20 MBA applicant, the federal loan program in the current shape is a poor value and a bad tool. The origination fees make it a pretty bad option in the first place, and the interest rates are not thing to write home about. I feel Private Loans for BSchool were always better. I am not as concerned about it for the MBA applicants since it will impact a very small number of folks (basically only those who had to file for bankruptcy or had some other issues, in which case, they can use a co-signer to mitigate some of these). Let me know if I am off...

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
OG2019 Directory is here! - New!
Verbal OG2019 Directory is here! - New!
Quant OG2019 Directory is here! - New!

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

GMAT Club Bot
Re: PROSPER Act Seeks to Eliminate Graduate PLUS/Subsidized Loans? &nbs [#permalink] 16 Apr 2018, 10:59

PROSPER Act Seeks to Eliminate Graduate PLUS/Subsidized Loans?

new topic post reply Update application status  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap