GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Oct 2019, 08:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

PS Question need solution explanation

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 25 Jan 2010
Posts: 99
Location: Calicut, India
PS Question need solution explanation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jul 2011, 15:33
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

100% (00:53) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 2 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Spice Airline has a free luggage allowance of " f " kg. If any passanger carries excess luggage, it is charged at a constant rate per kg. The total luggage charge paid by two passangers, A and B is $1050. If each of A and B had carried twice the luggage he actually did, their luggage charges would have been $2400 and $900 respectively. Find A's luggage charge.
A) 750
B) 900
C) 1200
D) 1500
E) 1050

--== Message from the GMAT Club Team ==--

THERE IS LIKELY A BETTER DISCUSSION OF THIS EXACT QUESTION.
This discussion does not meet community quality standards. It has been retired.


If you would like to discuss this question please re-post it in the respective forum. Thank you!

To review the GMAT Club's Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow these links: Quantitative | Verbal Please note - we may remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines. Thank you.

_________________
If u think this post is useful plz feed me with a kudo
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 24 Mar 2011
Posts: 307
Location: Texas
Re: PS Question need solution explanation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jul 2011, 20:57
1
what is the source of the problem? the #s are not adding up.. or probably the wordings are not very easy to understand..
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 31 May 2011
Posts: 69
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT Date: 12-07-2011
GPA: 3.22
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Re: PS Question need solution explanation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jul 2011, 22:00
cleetus wrote:
Spice Airline has a free luggage allowance of " f " kg. If any passanger carries excess luggage, it is charged at a constant rate per kg. The total luggage charge paid by two passangers, A and B is $1050. If each of A and B had carried twice the luggage he actually did, their luggage charges would have been $2400 and $900 respectively. Find A's luggage charge.
A) 750
B) 900
C) 1200
D) 1500
E) 1050


Its a bit time consuming problem but possible.

1st case: A's luggage charge + B's luggage charge = 1050
Therefore: (A-f)R + (B-f)R = 1050 (where f is the luggage allowed and R is the rate per extra luggage)
=> AR+BR-2fR = 1050 --- Eq(i)

2nd case: when the luggage of A and B is doubled
Therefore: (2A-f)R + (2B-f)R = 2400+900 (adding the extra charge paid by A and B when luggage was doubled)
=> 2AR+2BR-2fR = 3300 --- Eq(ii)

solving eq 1 and eq 2 we get:
=> AR + BR = 2250

Substituting this value in eq 1 we get:

=> 2250-2fR = 1050
=> fR = 600

As we know (2A-f)R = 2400 and (2B-f)R = 900
therefore by replacing fR in the above eq, we get AR = 1500 and BR = 750

Now the question asks "What is the charge paid by A" that means the amount paid by A for the extra luggage
i.e. (A-f)R => AR-fR => 1500-600 => 900. (Substituting the value of AR and fR from above in the eq)

Hence B.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 25 Jan 2010
Posts: 99
Location: Calicut, India
Re: PS Question need solution explanation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2011, 10:26
Sudhanshuacharya wrote:
cleetus wrote:
Spice Airline has a free luggage allowance of " f " kg. If any passanger carries excess luggage, it is charged at a constant rate per kg. The total luggage charge paid by two passangers, A and B is $1050. If each of A and B had carried twice the luggage he actually did, their luggage charges would have been $2400 and $900 respectively. Find A's luggage charge.
A) 750
B) 900
C) 1200
D) 1500
E) 1050


Its a bit time consuming problem but possible.

1st case: A's luggage charge + B's luggage charge = 1050
Therefore: (A-f)R + (B-f)R = 1050 (where f is the luggage allowed and R is the rate per extra luggage)
=> AR+BR-2fR = 1050 --- Eq(i)

2nd case: when the luggage of A and B is doubled
Therefore: (2A-f)R + (2B-f)R = 2400+900 (adding the extra charge paid by A and B when luggage was doubled)
=> 2AR+2BR-2fR = 3300 --- Eq(ii)

solving eq 1 and eq 2 we get:
=> AR + BR = 2250

Substituting this value in eq 1 we get:

=> 2250-2fR = 1050
=> fR = 600

As we know (2A-f)R = 2400 and (2B-f)R = 900
therefore by replacing fR in the above eq, we get AR = 1500 and BR = 750

Now the question asks "What is the charge paid by A" that means the amount paid by A for the extra luggage
i.e. (A-f)R => AR-fR => 1500-600 => 900. (Substituting the value of AR and fR from above in the eq)

Hence B.


Thanks Sudhanshuacharya. Great help. Real solution explanation in the source is time consuming and difficult to understand
_________________
If u think this post is useful plz feed me with a kudo
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 03 Mar 2011
Posts: 13
GMAT 1: 620 Q46 V29
WE: Sales (Hospitality and Tourism)
Re: PS Question need solution explanation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2011, 20:11
yeah its lengthy. I gave up at one point almost ..but finally got the answer.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 25 Jan 2010
Posts: 99
Location: Calicut, India
Re: PS Question need solution explanation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2011, 06:50
esbee wrote:
yeah its lengthy. I gave up at one point almost ..but finally got the answer.


If u practice 10 such questions by taking ample time, u can pace it in less than 2 mins

--== Message from the GMAT Club Team ==--

THERE IS LIKELY A BETTER DISCUSSION OF THIS EXACT QUESTION.
This discussion does not meet community quality standards. It has been retired.


If you would like to discuss this question please re-post it in the respective forum. Thank you!

To review the GMAT Club's Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow these links: Quantitative | Verbal Please note - we may remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines. Thank you.

_________________
If u think this post is useful plz feed me with a kudo
Non-Human User
User avatar
Joined: 09 Sep 2013
Posts: 13201
Re: PS Question need solution explanation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Oct 2018, 12:48
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
_________________
GMAT Club Bot
Re: PS Question need solution explanation   [#permalink] 21 Oct 2018, 12:48
Display posts from previous: Sort by

PS Question need solution explanation

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  





Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne