GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Sep 2018, 17:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Psychiatrist: In treating first-year students at this university, I

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Director
Director
V
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Psychiatrist: In treating first-year students at this university, I  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2018, 09:24
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

67% (02:25) correct 33% (02:23) wrong based on 64 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Psychiatrist: In treating first-year students at this university, I have noticed that those reporting the highest levels of spending on recreation score at about the same level on standard screening instruments for anxiety and depression as those reporting the lowest levels of spending on recreation. This suggests that the first-year students with high levels of spending on recreation could reduce that spending without increasing their anxiety or depression.

Each of the following, if true, strengthens the psychiatrist’s argument EXCEPT:

(A) At other universities, first-year students reporting the highest levels of spending on recreation also show the same degree of anxiety and depression as do those reporting the lowest levels of such spending.
(B) Screening of first-year students at the university who report moderate levels of spending on recreation reveals that those students are less anxious and depressed than both those with the highest and those with the lowest levels of spending on recreation.
(C) Among adults between the ages of 40 and 60, increased levels of spending on recreation are strongly correlated with decreased levels of anxiety and depression.
(D) The screening instruments used by the psychiatrist are extremely accurate in revealing levels of anxiety and depression among university students.
(E) Several of the psychiatrist’s patients who are first‑year students at the university have reduced their spending on recreation from very high levels to very low levels without increasing their anxiety or depression.

Source: LSAT

Non progredi est regredi

Math Expert
V
Re: Psychiatrist: In treating first-year students at this university, I  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2018, 19:42
[quote="Akela"]Psychiatrist: In treating first-year students at this university, I have noticed that those reporting the highest levels of spending on recreation score at about the same level on standard screening instruments for anxiety and depression as those reporting the lowest levels of spending on recreation. This suggests that the first-year students with high levels of spending on recreation could reduce that spending without increasing their anxiety or depression.

Rephrase the para
the Paris is that the first year students spending the maximum on the recreation have same level of anxiety and depression as of those spending the least on Recreation.
The para further suggests and concludes that the first year students who are spending the maximum on Recreation can reduce the spending on Recreation without affecting the anxiety or depression

Each of the following, if true, strengthens the psychiatrist’s argument EXCEPT:

(A) At other universities, first-year students reporting the highest levels of spending on recreation also show the same degree of anxiety and depression as do those reporting the lowest levels of such spending.
so it strengthens the argument as it tells us that this is not an isolated case just in this university

(B) Screening of first-year students at the university who report moderate levels of spending on recreation reveals that those students are less anxious and depressed than both those with the highest and those with the lowest levels of spending on recreation.
this tells us that's so being anxious and depressed does not depend on your spending on recreation so those with high spending on recreation can reduce the spending

(C) Among adults between the ages of 40 and 60, increased levels of spending on recreation are strongly correlated with decreased levels of anxiety and depression.
this choice talks of adults between the ages of 40 and 60 where as the argument talks of the first year students and also the choice speaks opposite of what is given in the argument. Does not strengthen

(D) The screening instruments used by the psychiatrist are extremely accurate in revealing levels of anxiety and depression among university students.
this choice tells us that anxiety and depression have been calculated accurately

(E) Several of the psychiatrist’s patients who are first‑year students at the university have reduced their spending on recreation from very high levels to very low levels without increasing their anxiety or depression.
this clearly gives evidence supporting the argument

C

1) Absolute modulus : http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
2)Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html
3) effects of arithmetic operations : https://gmatclub.com/forum/effects-of-arithmetic-operations-on-fractions-269413.html

GMAT online Tutor

Re: Psychiatrist: In treating first-year students at this university, I &nbs [#permalink] 28 Aug 2018, 19:42

Psychiatrist: In treating first-year students at this university, I

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap